Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

My curiosity got the better of me and I caught a late-night showing over the weekend.

First, I made the error of springing for 3D, something I haven't done in ages. The last time might've been Jackass 3D. Anyway, it must be a testament to Fury Road's quality that I enjoyed the movie so well when the goddamn glasses and distracting 3D gimmickry were doing their best to warp my last nerves.

I dunno if I'll go as far as those who have proclaimed it one of the best action movies ever. Maybe the best popcorn movie since The Dark Knight, I'll give it that. Loaded with enough characters, distinct societies and provocative ideas to populate a dozen unrelated films. Theron continues to impress as the years go by. I can't agree enough with the praise for Miller's feminist action picture — men have been riding to the rescue in films for a century, now the women can run the show. Hardy is fine, but given this script, the actor playing Max is almost irrelevant.

I'll see the original trilogy one of these days.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

yeah, saw this over the weekend. ready to see it again. i have a lot of questions that i wouldn't expect answers to, but some really interesting stuff here. women are clearly deified in this film, with it even closing as the main group of women are quite literally rising above the crowd. that being said,
they totally caught me off guard killing a pregnant woman and gleefully extracting the fetus
. the stunt work in this film is insane. and charlize's missing arm is the best argument "for" CGI i have ever seen. completely convincing.
and a "the rest of the case doesn't matter" ending to set up a sequel - this story is clearly over, these people moving on to their new normal, and max "making his own way" as he does.
. well done, much applause here.

Loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Action-wise it is completely bonkers, insane, mad and beautiful in all aspects. Not a second is wasted.

But what I liked the most is the fact that this is truly the first, fully functioning feminist action film I've ever seen. It's all about the women, crushing the patriarchy and showing humanity in the face of the wars that men wage. Fucking mindblowing that an insane 70-year old dreamed that up.

I finally watched this over the weekend. I'm going to be the unpopular opinion here. This film is fucking awful. Almost so bad it's good, but not quiet there unfortunately. I don't know where to start: the cliche dialog, the over the top dramatic music cues, the shitty acting. It's like someone gave a bad '80s b movie a hollywood budget. Which I guess is kind of what it is. Unfortunately it was often painful to watch. I almost shut it off ten minutes in except I kept thinking surely it must get better since so many people like it. It never did. I do give them props for the stunts and practical effects. But sadly a good film that does not make.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

To each his own but I'll throw in with the vast majority of audiences and critics. And I'm not even a huge fan of the originals.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

BMD wrote:George Miller Says MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Is Getting Two Sequels
But he's going to do something a little more low-key first.

Shortly after Mad Max: Fury Road arrived back in May (and when I say "arrived", I mean "grabbed everyone by the throat and refused to let go"), director George Miller started talking up the possibility of a sequel. More precisely, he mentioned the potential for a sequel - to be titled Mad Max: The Wasteland - and the existence of a novella, which we all assumed might serve as the basis for a sixth Max Rockatansky adventure. For the most part, all's been quiet on the Mad Max front ever since.

That changed over the weekend, when Top Gear asked Miller for an update. Turns out, Fury Road's notorious production troubles left Miller and company with a lot of free time, time that was then used to flesh out the Mad Max universe:

"[Fury Road] was green lit three times and fell over three times over a decade. We went to shoot with Mel Gibson back in 2001, but then 9/11 happened, and the American dollar collapsed against the Australian dollar close to 30 per cent, so we lost that amount of budget overnight. We were then rained out of Australia. The desert rained for the first time in 15 years, and we ended up in South West Africa, Namibia.

But in this process, we had dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artefacts and things like that. So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying. We’re talking to the studio [Warner Bros] about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I’m not so sure.”

This isn't precisely what he said before, but it's easy to see how we got here: one of the sequel scripts is almost certainly The Wasteland, while the other is probably based on the novella Miller mentioned back in May (just as we suspected). Also new: the fact that Miller's currently talking to Warner Bros. about when they might get to work on one of them. That's all very exciting, but be aware that it might be awhile before any of this actually happens:

I want to do a small film without special effects before I do any of that, just to do it quickly. We shot Fury Road for eight months… that’s a lot. Every day in the heat and the dust, doing these stunts, it’s very wearing. We’ve got two more planned, but at some point in the future.”

So if we're taking all of this at face value, Miller will helm something smaller before heading back into the desert to film one of two Mad Max: Fury Road sequels.

It'll be interesting to see if Charlize Theron's Imperator Furiosa gets brought back into the fold. She has to, right? We already know Tom Hardy's signed on for several more Mad Max films, but (last time I checked) we've heard nothing about Theron's obligations to the franchise. Maybe they bring her back for the first one, but not the second? Maybe one of them will be a standalone Furiosa movie (oh please please please let this happen)?

My wife got me the Mad Max anthology on blu-ray for Father's Day yesterday, and we watched Fury Road again last night. Still awesome. The special feature on the creation of all the vehicles was really cool too, especially seeing all the concept sketches compared to the final vehicles, and the thought process behind some of the designs. They talked about the genesis of Immortan Joe's car - that the '59 Cadillac symbolized power and wealth, and that in a world where everything was so scarce, having two of something was really extravagant, so they stacked two Cadillacs together to create the car.

Variety wrote: George Miller’s ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Prequel ‘Furiosa’ Begins Filming

The highly-anticipated “Furiosa,” a spin-off from “Mad Max: Fury Road” has started filming.

Chris Hemsworth, one of the film’s stars, shared a post via social media saying, “A new journey in the Mad Max saga begins.” Anya Taylor-Joy stars alongside him. The “Mad Max” prequel movie is based on Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa character from 2015’s “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

Miller calls the sequel “a saga,” which will unspool over a 15-year period, differing from its predecessor which spanned three days in its timeframe.

George Miller is set to direct, co-write and produce “Furiosa,” along with his longtime producing partner Doug Mitchell.

Most recently, Miller revealed that he and composer Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL, will work together again on the film’s score. Holkenborg scored “Fury Road.”

As previously reported in 2020, John Seale was set to come out of his semi-retirement and work alongside Miller as the film’s cinematographer. Seale had told the New York Times, “On ‘Fury Road,’ I told George, ‘If anybody else rings, I’m retired. If you ring, we’ll have lunch.’ And seven years later, he rang.” However, Hemsworth’s photo reveals that Simon Duggan will be stepping in as the film’s cinematographer.

Costume designer Jenny Beavan returns as the film’s costume designer. Beavan won an Oscar for her work on “Fury Road.” Speaking with Variety‘s Marc Malkin, Beavan said Taylor-Joy was hoping to shave her head just like Charlize Theron did for the first film. Beavan said, “She wants to, but George doesn’t want her to. So I don’t know whether she will or not.”

The film will be produced by Miller’s own Australian-based Kennedy Miller Mitchell banner, together with “Fury Road” partner Warner Bros. Pictures.

Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth star in Academy Award-winning mastermind George Miller’s “Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga,” the much-anticipated return to the iconic dystopian world he created more than 30 years ago with the seminal “Mad Max” films. Miller now turns the page again with an all-new original, standalone action adventure that will reveal the origins of the powerhouse character from the multiple Oscar-winning global smash “Mad Max: Fury Road.” The new feature from Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures is produced by Miller and his longtime partner, Oscar-nominated producer Doug Mitchell (“Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Babe”), under their Australian-based Kennedy Miller Mitchell banner.

As the world fell, young Furiosa is snatched from the Green Place of Many Mothers and falls into the hands of a great Biker Horde led by the Warlord Dementus. Sweeping through the Wasteland, they come across the Citadel presided over by The Immortan Joe. While the two Tyrants war for dominance, Furiosa must survive many trials as she puts together the means to find her way home.

Taylor-Joy stars in the title role, and along with Hemsworth, the film also stars Alyla Browne and Tom Burke.

Miller penned the script with “Mad Max: Fury Road” co-writer Nico Lathouris. Miller’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes first assistant director PJ Voeten and second unit director and stunt coordinator Guy Norris, director of photography Simon Duggan (“Hacksaw Ridge,” “The Great Gatsby”), composer Tom Holkenborg, sound designer Robert Mackenzie, editor Eliot Knapman, visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson and colorist Eric Whipp. The team also includes other longtime collaborators: production designer Colin Gibson, editor Margaret Sixel, sound mixer Ben Osmo, costume designer Jenny Beavan and makeup designer Lesley Vanderwalt, each of whom won an Oscar for their work on “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

Warner Bros. Pictures Presents, in Association with Village Roadshow Pictures, A Kennedy Miller Mitchell Production, A George Miller Film, “Furiosa.” The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, in theaters only nationwide on May 24, 2024 and internationally beginning on May 22, 2024.
looks like another absolute stunner from Miller!