Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Car & Driver wrote:The Cars of Mad Max: Fury Road

No film series has captured the anarchic dystopian science-fiction vibe as giddily as George Miller’s Mad Max movies. From 1979’s original Mad Max through 1981’s The Road Warrior and then slamming into Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985, the future was brutal, toxic, barren, and filled with rabid vehicular beasts built from scraps that civilization had left behind. Thirty years later, it’s time to get back to some Australian postapocalyptic insanity.

George Miller is relaunching Mad Max with the long-rumored, then long-delayed, and now imminent Mad Max: Fury Road. Miller needed about 25 years of development, including 12 agonizing years after announcing that a script had been written, to get this movie made. And while previous Max movies were filmed in the Australian outback, this one was shot in Namibia.

Mad Max made Mel Gibson a star, but he’s not in Fury Road. Instead the part of Mad Max Rockatansky has moved to Tom Hardy, the British actor who played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. Joining him is Charlize Theron as “Imperator Furiosa,” supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as “Splendid,” Lenny Kravitz’s daughter Zoë Kravitz as “Toast,” and Elvis Presley’s granddaughter Riley Keough as “Capable.” If you were looking for a cat name, there you go.

Here are 10 of the vehicles featured in the film. But this is nowhere near a comprehensive catalog of the 150-or-so lunatic machines conceived by production designer Colin Gibson and built by the production company. Information on the mechanical substance of these is sketchy because, unfortunately, we weren’t on the set.

That noted, keep in mind that practically all the stunts seen in Fury Road were done “practically,” which means physically, in the real world, using actual cars and living stunt people. What computerized graphic trickery was used in the film was reportedly to clean up shots and digitally erase safety and camera riggings.

When you’re filming in Namibia, it’s not like there’s a nearby O'Reilly overstuffed with spare auto parts. So the on-camera cars had to be built to be reliable and rugged rather than fast. And, of course, there were duplicates of all these vehicles. After all, having a film crew wait around for a broken car to be fixed is very expensive.

Mad Max: Fury Road opens on every movie screen in the Milky Way on May 15. Plan accordingly.
MMFR_PlymouthRock-876x534.jpg
MMFR_BigFoot-876x534.jpg
MMFR_Buggy9-876x534.jpg
MMFR_Mack-876x534.jpg
MMFR_Peacemaker-876x534.jpg
MMFR_FDK-876x534.jpg
MMFR_WarRig-876x534.jpg
MMFR_Nux-e1430106574450-876x534.jpg
MMFR_Gigahorse-876x534.jpg
MMFR_Interceptor-876x534.jpg
also, check out this link for more vehicles & multiple views of each: http://vehicleshowcase.madmaxmovie.com/

man i hope there is a toy line for this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TC wrote: man i hope there is a toy line for this.
The first thing I thought was, "Ah, all these cars must be to create a toy line.
*Full disclosure - I have never seen a Mad Max film.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

TC wrote:third one is laughable for how over-the-top-'80's it is, also tina turner, but some very quotable lines.
You had to bring that one up. Can't we get beyond thunderdome?
I'm not sure why I've never seen any of them. Just never really came up. Suppose I'll look into them when this film comes out.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Reviews are starting to come in, and they are good. I think it was Variety that said something like "this is the most kick ass movie ever made by a 70 year old."
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Dude over at Forbes gave me goosebumps:
I have said enough, and I have no desire to spoil the surprises or detail the many individual triumphs contained in Mad Max: Fury Road. Mad Max: Fury Road is a remarkable and glorious motion picture, not just one of the great action movies of our time but also a great film, period. There is an old Detective Comics story where an imprisoned Joker helps Batman rescue a kidnapped child and save her life. When Batman asks why The Joker would do such a charity, he replies that it was to give Batman a new twinge of presumably false hope for each time he would encounter a similar situation in the future. As a general rule, I walk into films like Robocop or Teenage Mutant Ninjas Turtles hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Mad Max: Fury Road represents my false hope from here on out. On paper it looks like everything I complain about, and yet it is an unmitigated masterpiece. And if every past-its-prime franchise extension and nostalgia-fueled reboot were anywhere near as good as Mad Max: Fury Road, we’d have little about which to complain.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

That was pretty crazy. The EW review gave it a B, and I would agree. The action scenes are amazing and relentless, but it could've used a little more plot and character development. Definitely the best looking Mad Max movie ever. It's impressive to see what George Miller can do with a big budget. I liked the overall concept and the Furiosa character. The various warlords besides Immortan Joe were interesting, and I liked the War Boys' quest for Valhalla and a good death in battle since they have a shortened lifespan anyway. I watched Mad Max again last week, and there's quite a contrast in the pace between the two movies. Mad Max is a little slow at times, and Fury Road goes to the other extreme and the action never stops.

hope to see it this weekend.

and now we have this:
/film wrote:George Miller Gives ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Sequel a Title

With a near-perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes and a strong domestic opening weekend, hitting nearly $45m for Mad Max: Fury Road, it’s pretty obvious there’s a thirst for more Max. The film itself certainly leaves that world wide open to continue the character’s story and for a long time, writer/director George Miller had said he conceived this film as the first of a trilogy. Tom Hardy even revealed he’s signed to reprise the character a few more times.

Nothing has been officially announced in regards to a Mad Max: Fury Road sequel, but Miller has been thinking about it. In a new interview, he revealed he’d like to call the next film Mad Max: The Wasteland.

Miller was being interviewed by The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith (via The Playlist) when he talked about the Mad Max: Fury Road sequel:
We’ve got one screenplay and a novella. It happened because with the delays [on ‘Fury Road’], and writing all the backstories, they just expanded.
That’s when he revealed the potential sequel title Mad Max: The Wasteland.

Both points are different from what he said four years ago, before Fury Road went into production. At that time, Miller said he had two sequels in mind, with one script totally done and the other almost complete. He said the second film would potentially be called Mad Max: Furiosa. Four years changes a lot though so you’d imagine the newer quote is more accurate. Or, maybe Max and Furiosa each get their own sequel, which is an unsubstantiated rumor we’ve been hearing for a while.

It’s also worth mentioning that over the weekend, someone claiming to be Miller appeared on Twitter and teased more Max. However, this account is not verified so don’t take it as gospel:
George Miller @GMillerMax
Hello Twitter!

Thanks for all the kind words written and said about the film.
We had a lot of fun making it..and there's more Max to come.
Whether or not that’s really Miller, the real Miller definitely has been thinking about Mad Max sequels and the success of Fury Road, especially internationally, will probably give him the ability to make a follow up.

Great flick, saw it today. I'd have to go back and revisit the originals but I don't think there's anything in them that approaches the action sequences pulled off in this bad boy. It is not a constant chase, as some have said, but pretty damn near constant, and the sequences of mayhem are brilliantly conceived, expertly paced and, despite being quite long, always leave you exhausted yet wanting a bit more. I have to say, while it's deliciously light on dialogue--we're not here for monologues, and god bless George Miller, he knows it--I'm confused by the "it's too thin on plot" stuff I've been reading. There are a variety of character arcs and storylines throughout the film that are given the right amount of time in my book, including at least one that was truly surprising and satisfying. And no, knowledge of the prior films is nice but this stands alone perfectly well. Definitely should be seen on a big screen.