Re: Prometheus [Ridley Scott]

[youtube][/youtube]

holy shit.
The path to paradise begins in hell.

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created, with ALIEN: COVENANT, a new chapter in his groundbreaking ALIEN franchise. The crew of the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world. When they uncover a threat beyond their imagination, they must attempt a harrowing escape.

In Theaters - May 19, 2017

Cast: Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, Demián Bichir, Carmen Ejogo, Amy Seimetz, Jussie Smollett, Callie Hernandez, Nathaniel Dean, Alexander England, Benjamin Rigby

TC wrote:i don't get all the prometheus hate. i loved it. it's exactly what the franchise needed. i will be happy if this successfully ties the two ends - prometheus & alien - together. i'm happy to have the xenomorph backstory.
:woop:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I'll be honest, having Danny McBride and James Franco in the cast (although based on the pre-movie thing they put out it looks like Franco may not be around much) is more than a little distracting for me. That said, I very much hope it's a continuation of Prometheus, funny enough my son was home from school today and wanted to watch it, so I just caught it again a few hours ago (full disclosure, with a short nap somewhere in the middle, which happens if I watch any movie during the day). I like how they toss themes around, don't give you all the answers, and there are some delightful, nasty sequences throughout. Great looking film, too. David is a marvelous android with daddy issues, and overall the daddy issues of creator v creation ultimately give it a Frankenstein-like vibe in some respects.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

yeah, mcbride is a distraction. didn't even notice franco. would rather have unknowns. i mean, do we need "names" to get people to come to an alien movie? seems to me the most talked-about character from aliens was a relative unknown in 1985. RIP.

sigh. another in ridley scott's journey into meh-ville. watched this, went home, watched twin peaks. polar opposites. covenant is what happens when someone wants to visit a world/collect a paycheck and doesn't have anything new to say. twin peaks is what happens when we get actual new content in a familiar world that still has something to say.

there were probably 5-10 minutes total of "saying something" and/or great footage/ideas. the rest was exactly the same movie we've seen before.

it really pisses me off when the entire movie's problem(s) are solved if every one of the main characters isn't a complete fucking moron.
you want to go investigate a new world that takes you off-track? fine. computer says air is breathable, fine. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T ALSO CONTAIN PATHOGENS THAT COULD MAKE YOU VERY ILL AND BE FATAL. i mean, even outside of aliens. this crew is obviously very well trained and WY's best - why the FUCK would they walk out of the ship without some kind of mask/suit/anything? then, why the hell would you trust an android saying "there's nothing to fear, trust me" when one minute prior he screamed at you for killing one of the aliens that just slaughtered your crew member, saying "how could you?!? he trusted me!!" i might overlook someone firing live ammo at obviously explosive tanks if it wasn't for all the other very stupid stuff. oh, and going out of your way to show us that the new model android (walter) has self-healing skin only so that five minutes later we can mentally scream at the screen as the human who's clearly been around him and knows him well helps STAPLE UP HIS SLICED SKIN, apparently forgetting that he should be healed is kind of the topper. the parts that contribute to the mythos were extremely interesting. seeing how the xenomorphs as we now know them came to be, connecting those dots all the way forward.... was very interesting. loved it. but, as with prometheus, scott runs far away, and quickly, when he has something interesting to say. wants to skim right over that, then spend more time telling/showing us a story we've already seen several times. baffling. as with prometheus, the potential with this was incredible. for me, i gave prometheus a lot more leeway and found it generally much more interesting. similar to how i viewed the force awakens - ok, we get it, you need to show us there can still be an interesting story done with familiar tropes in a universe we know. got it, established, now move on. nope, not in covenant.

also, the scene depicted on the one-sheet never happens. it's implied in two different ways, but that's it. such a travesty.
i mean the fact that this film is what removed bloomkamp's alien film, which actually had new, great ideas, from existence. that will go down as one of the greatest "could have beens" of our time, ruined by the george lucas of the alien franchise.

Just got back from this. TC's pretty much right on the money. All the classic 'Alien' beats were the least-interesting part — Ridley just couldn't be bothered to make any of that in any way intense or horrifying. Enjoyed the meeting of android minds — Fassbender plainly is the only element keeping the franchise afloat at this point. All the other characters are total non-entities — save McBride, who was distracting AF.

So, just for giggles, here's how I size up the franchise:

Alien
Aliens
BIG drop-off
Prometheus
Alien 3
Alien: Covenant
Alien: Resurrection
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:someone recently told me i needed to watch this, that it was good.
This person is not your friend.
snort. Even my son, who will defend the first AvP (and I enjoyed watching it with him, pretty decent fan fic), tells me to skip Requiem. No budget Canadian production. There is a fun scene at a campground with some eggs, though.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."