Thor

previously discussed in this mass post (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4104), here is its own thread:
/film wrote:Natalie Portman to Star as Jane Foster in Thor

When reporting on cast additions to Your Highness the other day I’d been thinking about what an interesting career Natalie Portman has crafted, in terms of playing in genre-ish films while keeping a pretty serious offscreen persona. And now Portman has been confirmed as part of the cast in Kenneth Branagh’s Thor opposite Chris Hemsworth (as Thor) and Tom Hiddleston (as Loki). She’ll play Jane Foster, nurse to Thor’s human alter-ego Donald Blake. Nikke Finke had reported the casting news back in March, but this is the first confirmation, and the first release to specify Portman’s role.

Jane Foster is a more sedate role than I’d hoped for her in this one, but I suppose it’s an offset to her warrior princess character in Your Highness. It also pegs the movie as taking place more on Earth than some had assumed; if Foster is a major character then we’ll be seeing a lot of the human version of Thor. She’s got to fall for him somehow, right? In the core storyline Foster learned that Blake was Thor, and even went with him to Asgard, but we don’t know if that’ll happen on screen. Let’s hope Hemsworth is able to work with Portman in a way that Hayden Christensen was never quite allowed to.

Here’s the synopsis from Marvel’s press release, which notes that the character will be ‘updated’:

Marvel Studios expands its film universe with a new type of superhero: Thor. This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.
oh good, "updated" - vikings are soooo '80s.

Re: Thor

Not sure what they're updating. Thor takes place in modern times, unless they're trying to give him a lot of tech gadgets like Batman or Iron Man, there's really no updating to be done.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:Not sure what they're updating. Thor takes place in modern times, unless they're trying to give him a lot of tech gadgets like Batman or Iron Man, there's really no updating to be done.
his drinking horn will be make of adamantium?

HeatVision wrote:Anthony Hopkins to play Thor's father, Odin

Anthony Hopkins is in negotiations to play the Norse god Odin in “Thor,” Marvel Studios' adaptation being directed by Kenneth Branagh.

The movie’s story sees the god of thunder Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions re-ignite an ancient war. As punishment, Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans. Once here, he learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends dark forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Odin is Thor’s father and ruler of Asgard.

Chris Hemsworth is Thor and the cast includes Tom Hiddleston and Natalie Portman among others.

Thor marks Hopkins’ first gig since signing with UTA a month ago. He will next be seen on screen in “The Wolfman.” He will also appear in Woody Allen’s “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger.”

Hopkins is additionally repped by attorney Mitch Smelkinson.

Thor is a fucking GOD. If they treat him like a garden-variety superhero, it'll be a huge mistake. I don't have high hopes for this.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

Dunno, Branagh could be a good fit for the material, he did a nice job with Henry V although shit, that was close to 20 years ago and he hasn't directed much of decent quality since (Dead Again was awful, never saw Frankenstein but heard bad things).
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I guess Marvel superheroes all have to have plastic costumes now or something...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

it doesn't look bad. but i like this version better:
kermit-thor-colour-1000px[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That shot seriously looks like the picture on the "THOR" halloween costume at wal-mart. (disclaimer: plastic hammer does not glow)

Frog of Thunder. tits. The norns must be chickens and loki must chase them about yggdrasil trying to hump them.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

5694464_99[1].jpg
Oh my GODS... Poor, poor Anthony Hopkins.
Last edited by TC on 15/07/10, 06:54:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: attached image - no hotlinking yuo! :)

Yeah, I saw that yesterday...not too encouraging. Maybe they should have gone for armor that looks like it's made of metal.

Another picture leaked--anyone else get Queen's "FLASH! AH-ah!" going through their head when they look at this?

Alexhead wrote:Another picture leaked--anyone else get Queen's "FLASH! AH-ah!" going through their head when they look at this?
You read my mind! Can a flick made efter the 80's ended actually look this tacky?

_Marcus_ wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Another picture leaked--anyone else get Queen's "FLASH! AH-ah!" going through their head when they look at this?
You read my mind! Can a flick made efter the 80's ended actually look this tacky?
You can count me in on that one too. First thing I thought was they hired the set designer from Flash. I hope these are just concept drawings that will be changed. Usually Marvel is better at protecting their properties with their own produced films. I believe they're going with the Donald Blake alter ego Thor story line from the comic, which I'm fine with. The final scene in Iron Man 2 certainly lines up with that.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

To be honest with you, that looks better than I expected. My expectations for superhero movies are dwindling anyway, and Thor was never a favorite title of mine so, you know, throw some CGI around and blow up shit, why not?