Re: Thor

Oh, trust me, they are.

So it looks like this is one of the few places on teh intarwebz to watch this as of today, would anyone mind if I shared the URL here with a couple discreet buddies who'd be interested in seeing it? If so, no worries.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Cool, found it elsewhere too. All the world must see this glorious footage!!! :?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I miss the helmet with wings. Between this and Captain America's loss of wings, I think we the movie viewing public are going to be royally screwed on seeing little wings on our superheroe's heads. I'll bet Hawkeye doesn't even get his pointy things, based on what I saw of his character redesign in Ultimate Avengers (first Avengers comic I think I've ever read, actually).

Special poster done by Olly Moss for just the cast and crew:
olly_moss_thor-thumb-550x818-53754[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Spoiler on an Avenger cameo in Thor:

We’ve heard rumors of big cameos happening in Thor, but until now we’ve never been able to confirm them. Tonight though, Cinema Blend’s own Katey Rich saw footage from Thor at Cinema Con and we can confirm that at least one other superhero character is in, and we've seen him. Paramount showed us actual footage of Hawkeye in action as part of their Thor presentation.

Jeremy Renner is playing Hawkeye in Avengers but now we know that the first place you’ll see the character is in Thor this summer. The scene we saw featured Renner as Hawkeye, working with the infamous Agent Coulson, played as he was in the Iron Man movies, by Clark Gregg. The scene features Hawkeye using his famous bow and arrow and he has multiple lines, so while we’re talking about something a little more than a momentary cameo, there’s no way to know if his involvement will go any further than that one scene.

For now at least we know he’s in the movie. Expect Hawkeye to show up in Thor when you buy your ticket on May 5th. Check back with Cinema Blend later tonight, for even more in-depth Marvel movie details straight from Cinema Con.

Link has the person in the title so I'm going rogue on this one.

Well the screenings have officially begun, and the internet's worst fanboy critic, fatboy himself, has stained his seat with happiness. Some spoilers as to story structure and the Asgard stuff.
I’ve been greatly concerned about THOR. The trailers seemed afraid of revealing much of anything of Asgardian culture or dialogue. The WARRIORS THREE have really not existed in the least in the advertising campaign. I mean – let’s face it, if you’re a THOR geek – you want Asgardian awesomery. That’s the big deal. You want to see THOR wielding Mjolnir like we’ve seen in panels of the comic for the last nearly 50 years.

I woke up today, with my right eye having reacted badly to something in my sleep. I tried flushing it out, changed into new contacts, but given my screening of THOR today was going to be in 3D, I didn’t really have the option of putting my glasses on, then wearing glasses on top of glasses… that just isn’t what I wanted. As we drove through Austin, the light just made the eye a waterfall of irritation & tears. Oddly enough, as soon as I entered the Alamo Drafthouse South – and the darkness enveloped me, my eye felt fantastic. Once I put on my deluxe BNAT 11 AVATAR REAL D glasses – even better.

This is an introduction to THOR. This isn’t the holy shit, fuck LORD OF THE RINGS, Thor film that I think all real THOR geeks knows can be made… But… this is absolutely starting THOR off on the right footing.

The film begins with the “encounter in the desert” – We meet Natalie Portman’s Jane Foster, Stellen Skarsgard’s Professor Andrews and Kat Dennings’ Darcy while they’re studying some atmospheric anomalies that seem to point to something wondrous. A huge discovery when they bump into THOR wandering in the sandstorm.

Jane Foster wonders aloud, “Where did he come from?” and suddenly we’re taken to Asgard for a good long while.

Before I get into all this too deeply though, let me say that it just all works. Natalie’s Jane Foster, when she begins to fall for Hemsworth’s THOR – you believe it – you can see it and you may wish you were Natalie Portman, because goddamn – Chris Hemsworth has the charisma of a fucking God!

When you think about the opening of JJ’s STAR TREK – I just absolutely love Hemsworth performance. The second he hears the first cries of his child – the elated look of getting to hear his son’s voice before he dies… it kills me. I think it kills anyone that has ever had a child or dreams of having one. But the reason it works isn’t just Giacchino’s score or Abrams’ direction… It’s Hemsworth. He sold that to perfection.

Now he sells THOR – and THOR when we first meet him is arriving to be anointed the official successor to the throne of Odin. Odin is soon to fall into the legendary Odinsleep – a period of hibernation in which he is rejuvenated. Branagh keeps the camera fairly tight upon Hemsworth – and the reason is in this scene – in the costume, amid all the glitz and glamour of Asgard – the Asgardian fashion – it’d be easy to be instantly overwhelmed, but it is in Hemsworth’s baby blue eyes – that you find the soul of the God of Thunder. An arrogant, proud boy grown to some level of maturity, if not quite yet mature in soul.

Prior to this – you hear the story of the great battle between Asgard & the realm of Jotunheim, where the Frost Giants live. The Frost Giants had a weapon of great power, called The Casket of Ancient Winters. With it, they’ve decided to lay siege to Midgard aka Earth in the time of the Vikings – and Odin and the warriors of Asgard fought & defeated the Frost Giants – and banished their people back to the frozen tundra of Jotunheim. It is in this great battle that Odin loses an eye. (not graphically on screen, in case you were wondering)

Odin is revealed to be telling this story to his two sons… Thor & Loki – both as young boys. Even here, Thor is an arrogant little cur. Vowing to grow up to wipe out the Frost Giants forever, to ensure Asgard’s safety. Odin scolds him, saying that to be the AllFather – you must care for all and guard all of the great realms from danger.

Don’t worry – we’ll see THOR whupping ass in Jotunheim against the Frost Giants and that massive Frost Creature that you’ve seen in Television spots and trailers. He does not journey forth alone, but with his brother Loki, Volstagg, Hogun, Fandral & Sif. There’ll be a part of you that will want the battle in Jotunheim to go on for ages, to have the Warriors 3’s banter to have more time to endear the characters – but ya know what? The WARRIORS 3 are the WARRIORS 3. Ray Stevenson, though not nearly resembling me nearly enough to be Volstagg – he pulls it off. Tadanobu Asano’s Hogun is given the least amount of screen time of the 3, and not nearly enough gallow’s humor… but it is there in tiny bites. Josh Dallas’ Fandral looks perfect – again, you’ll want more time with him and the Asgardian Maidens – because they didn’t have the time to give us any of that. Tragedy, but if you watch closely at the end, you’ll see that Fandral made the most of the time he had with the girl he’s given access to.

For risking War with Jotunheim, Thor is banished to Earth as a mortal and Odin send Mjolnir to Earth as well with the famous incantation about being worthy. While THOR is on Earth – he certainly has some misadventures, but the “taser” and Hospital scenes are as goofy as THOR is ever shown in the film. They are brief moments of humility that he is in sore need of. Once he realizes his fate, he is truly humbled.

But this isn’t just an introduction to THOR – but to LOKI as well. There had always been competition between Thor & Loki – and LOKI just wants to be considered with at least the same level of respect as Thor. You can see it in Tom Hiddleston’s very subtle performance. He’s a trickster, a deceiver. He fights like a deceiver. He’s politically minded, telling everyone what they each individually need to hear in order to allow him to do what it is he needs to do. Loki has not yet been embittered by isolation. At the end of THOR – he’s in a position to stew upon how he feels he has been ill-handled. Oh – and definitely stick around post credits for a pretty awesome last bit that will lead to THE AVENGERS & CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Yeah – I’m a very big fan of this film.

The second you see Hemsworth’s THOR begin twirling Mjolnir – the classic circular way – and you begin to see what it does… I swear – I squealed like a little girl playing with her older brother’s cooler toys for the first time unsupervised.

When you see how THOR flies – it is dynamic and with purpose, definitely not Peter Pan. He’s fairly ballistic. And it reeks of cool. Seriously – you’ll behold in breathless wonder, The God of Thunder… Mighty Thor! (sorry – I’m a geek, what can I say?)

Now that the introductions are out of way, if THOR catches on with the masses, and it should… and on the other side of the AVENGERS, I hope we get a full on THOR in the magical realms adventure with the Warriors 3, let’s cast Balder the Brave… and let’s kick some Tolkien ass MARVEL style!

Holy shit. They made a very entertaining, engaging and fun THOR film. When Fandral lets out a laugh in the midst of battle – and is smiling… I just loved it. Hogun and his mace. Volstagg eating… Loki making duplicates… Thor swinging that fucking hammer. I’ve seen these things and they did not suck. They ruled. Oh – and Chris Hemsworth? He’s a star. How big? One that Natalie Portman seemed 1000% smitten with in this film.

I’m very happy. This is so much more of THOR than ever really hoped I’d get in a first THOR movie. Sure – Mark Protosevich’s brilliant THOR script – which was all either in the Viking age or in the realms of Asgard – was the great THOR film that I would’ve killed to see… but at the same time, the cast is cast and the sets are built to begin a tale of that scale. NOW – get me some CAPTAIN AMERICA & GREEN LANTERN & 1960’s era X-MEN action stat! I’m giddy about this summer!!!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49322

OK, here's a quick synopsis of some other early reviews. Sounds fine if nothing overwhelming.
"Thor" made landfall in Australia over the weekend, as Chris Hemsworth and the cast of this Marvel adaption arrived for the film's premiere in Sydney on Sunday. Coinciding with the flick's debut is the release of the first wave of reviews from around the globe.

The early word is very good for fans of the Asgardian superhero. "The Marvel universe moves into the cosmic realm with 'Thor,' a burly slab of bombastic superhero entertainment that skitters just this side of kitschy to provide an introduction befitting the mighty god of thunder," writes The Hollywood Reporter in a typically positive review. "It's a noisy, universe-rattling spectacle full of sound and fury with a suitably epic design, solid digital effects and a healthy respect for the comic-book lore that turned a mythological Norse god into a founding member of the superhero team known as The Avengers."

Chris Hemsworth, who was introduced to American audiences in a small role in 2009's "Star Trek," is being dubbed a worthy live-action version of the Marvel hero. "[He] is just as good a fit for the character of Thor as Robert Downey Jr. is for Tony Stark, and that one thing goes a long way to making the film a pleasure to watch," says HitFix.

Many reviews have highlighted the way in which the film has stayed true to the often comedic nature of the source material. " 'Thor' is frequently hilarious, but the humor comes from a genuine affection for the occasionally silly tropes of the comic books, not misguided 'irony,' " writes Australian site The Vine.

Lest you think critical opinion has been uniformly positive, we should note that reviews have dinged the movie for a variety of reasons. "While some post converted 3-D has really impressed me ('Green Hornet'), 'Thor' didn't fall into this category," says Collider.com. "While watching, I never felt like there was a lot of depth."

Other reviews have taken issue with the rushed pace of the film and a subpar third act. But in general, the early critics agree: "Thor" is a worthy, if hardly perfect, tribute to the beloved comics character.

" 'Thor' is everything you might hope and expect it to be, equal parts good and bad. It is the type of movie I would have loved if I saw it at age 10 — and I'm sure this movie will play awesome to younger audiences," writes SlashFilm. "I still very much enjoyed it, but did not fall in love with it. It falls a couple steps shy of achievements of recent Marvel films like 'Iron Man,' 'The Incredible Hulk', and even 'Iron Man 2.' "
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/166216 ... iews.jhtml

Sounds like from a plot standpoint they stuck pretty close to Straczynski's comic reboot. Which just points out once again what I've said in the past: when a studio embraces original elements from the comic the film usually fares much better. I'm assuming here the positive reviews are true of course. AICN reviews don't count.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

There are Thor posters on every bus stop and in every subway station in Manhattan, I can report after spending last week there. (The same can be said for Fast Five posters...)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Was never a particular fan of Thor (or any of the Avengers for that matter, I was all about Daredevil and the X-Men and the New Universe stuff that never went anywhere, heh), but I am gearing up for The Avengers and excited to see what they do with a couple old Marvel classics. I think Branaugh and his many writers did a swell job of making a fun, accessible intro to this character. I would generally agree with the positive reviews out there, nothing groundbreaking but Marvel appears to have figured out some formulas for putting together slick summer entertainments that will make comic geeks and casual action movie fans happy alike--good humor, standard redemption story, fun effects, etc. I will say balancing the real world tone and the fantastic was about as well handled as they could have hoped for considering the somewhat "realistic" vibe they had with Iron Man and to a much lesser extent Incredible Hulk. But fuck it, it's a comic book movie, throw it all up there, embrace the completely batshit fantastic elements of what you're doing. I think fans of the original character and source material will be satisfied, there are a few really fun action sequences, probably highlighted by Thor and his buddies starting shit with the Frost Giants. Watching Thor do his thing with the hammer is pretty good catnip for any Marvel fan who's seen him swing it in a circle in the comics for so many years.

You know what doesn't work so far? S.H.I.E.L.D. Their involvement in all the movies continues to be forced, tongue-in-cheek and just generally badly explained and goofy. Agent Coulson was a pisspoor character to become a unifying thread (and the Hawkeye cameo was dumb and obviously tacked on), Sam Jackson is under/misused...I dunno, if you're going to go to the trouble of making it a common thread, put a little more thought into it.

Apparently Whedon directed the post-credit sequence for this.

So I went ahead and grabbed this from redbox and watched it again, doesn't quite hold up as well as it did in the theater but I'd still say it's an amiable entertainment and about as good a job as you could expect them to do with the character. I do not see multiple Oscar nominations in Chris Hemsworth's future, though.

Very curious to see if they appropriate the Peter Jackson vibe successfully, this trailer hints at tone issues. But it is a first trailer, Marvel is well known for doing a mediocre job on those but eventually sticking the landing. They could get their own LOTR style franchise going if they do this right. Glammy Armor Man in Crappy London Slum is a tough sell on the face of it, though.