Re: Spider-Man 4

_Marcus_ wrote:My feeling has always been that the films are based on the first batch of Spidey comics, where aunty May makes an appearance every second frame and Spider-man/Peter Parker is more of a disillusioned high-school kid than an adult with real problems.
that i think nails it. i wasn't expecting anything more - you could tell that just from the casting.

shit, let's go back to spidey 129 and get frank castle involved.

I'll second the Kraven's Last Hunt storyline. That was one of the better ones from back when I was regularly reading comics. Many of the ones I really liked back then haven't held up when I read them again now, but that one did.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

i liked the idea of kraven's hunt, but i remember it pissing me off with the execution. made kraven seem all 'cartoon-y' to me, like a professional wrestler or something.

Yeah, I'd love to see an adaptation of Kravens last hunt. Remember really liking that.

So it seems that The Lizard's gonna be the only villain in the fourth film, something wich I think really speaks to my theory of the films being based on old school Spider-man only. I can understand why they feel the need to bring in all the "classic" Spidey villains in the movies, but classic almost always means boring as well.

Even though the character itself is pretty straightforward and... boring, I'd love to see Carnage (the true, mass-murdering psycho Carnage, not the almost certainly kiddy-friendly version Raimi would use) make an appearance somewhere.

TC wrote:i liked the idea of kraven's hunt, but i remember it pissing me off with the execution. made kraven seem all 'cartoon-y' to me, like a professional wrestler or something.
Heh, being the age I am, my first exposure to the Kraven character was on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. So I thought the "last hunt" storyline was much LESS cartoony. Plus, I love the shit outta Mike Zeck.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

TC wrote:zeck is a master. no arguments there. his work on the punisher was amazing.
Heh, I remember paying way too much for the original Punny limited-series back in junior high. The painted covers just blew my young mind.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

Exit Raimi and Maguire Time to reboot a franchise that's only eight years old! It's not like Raimi was making it some fringe non-mainstream thing. Especially with the second film, I thought he did a good job of making a big budget franchise watchable. Seems Sony didn't learn from the mess that the third film was that they shouldn't try to force things on Raimi or wait to fix script issues. Since the reboot is being scripted by the same person who's script Raimi had problems with, I don't hold out much hope.

really marcus? i heard on the radio on the way in to work today that the new "reboot" will follow peter parker in high school as he deals with teen problems and copes with his new super powers.

complete fucking garbage. i hate hollywood.

TC wrote:really marcus? i heard on the radio on the way in to work today that the new "reboot" will follow peter parker in high school as he deals with teen problems and copes with his new super powers.
:? ---> :x --> :wah: ---> :suicide:

TC wrote: i heard on the radio on the way in to work today that the new "reboot" will follow peter parker in high school as he deals with teen problems and copes with his new super powers.
Which was exactly the plot of the first film. I can only assume, Hollywood pack mentality being what it is, that they'll try to make him darker like Batman. Because all comic adaptions now have to be like Batman.

That article I posted above has the full press release of what they're trying to do with the new film.

VH1 wrote: 'Spider-Man' Reboot To Be Directed By Marc Webb
'(500) Days of Summer' filmmaker snags coveted Hollywood franchise; shooting to start later this year.

Spider-Man is caught up in a whole new kind of web — this one with an extra "B" — which could signify that his über-successful superhero franchise is back on track.

Marc Webb, the 34-year-old music-video director who recently made his feature-film debut with "(500) Days of Summer," was officially announced Tuesday (January 19) as the new name behind one of Hollywood's biggest franchises. Webb takes over for Sam Raimi, who recently abandoned plans to return with stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst for a fourth film about the web-slinger.

"At its core, 'Spider-Man' is a small, intimate human story about an everyday teenager that takes place in an epic superhuman world," Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, said in a joint statement. "The key for us as we sought a new director was to identify filmmakers who could give sharp focus to Peter Parker's life. We wanted someone who could capture the awe of being in Peter's shoes so the audience could experience his sense of discovery while giving real heart to the emotion, anxiety and recklessness of that age and coupling all of that with the adrenaline of Spider-Man's adventure. We believe Marc Webb is the perfect choice to bring us on that journey."

Set to hit theaters in the summer of 2012, details are vague on whether the next "Spider-Man" movie will feature a numeral in the title, and all indications are that it will be a complete reboot with all new actors. Webb spoke to MTV News over the weekend at the Golden Globes (where he was nominated for Best Picture, Comedy or Musical for "Summer") and expressed affection for the "Ultimate Spider-Man" comic series, which could flavor his take on Peter Parker's story.

"This is a dream come true, and I couldn't be more aware of the challenge, responsibility, or opportunity," Webb said in the statement. "Sam Raimi's virtuoso rendering of Spider-Man is a humbling precedent to follow and build upon. The first three films are beloved for good reason. But I think the Spider-Man mythology transcends not only generations but directors as well. I am signing on not to 'take over' from Sam. That would be impossible. Not to mention arrogant. I'm here because there's an opportunity for ideas, stories and histories that will add a new dimension, canvas and creative voice to Spider-Man."

First appearing in 1962's "Amazing Fantasy" comics, the red-and-blue-suited superhero was originally created by the late Steve Ditko and writer/editor Stan Lee. In the years since, Spidey has become arguably the most famous superhero in the world, and Raimi's three "Spider-Man" films earned over $1.1 billion combined.

"I'm excited that Sony has chosen a director with a real penchant and understanding for the character," Stan Lee said in the statement. "This is a brave, bold direction for the franchise, and I can't wait to see what Marc comes up with next."

Added Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige: "The idea of reimagining the onscreen story for one of the world's most iconic superheroes is sure to deliver an exciting new dimension to Spider-Man fans everywhere. There are volumes of comics and material available to inspire fresh and compelling takes on Peter Parker and his journey as Spidey, and we look forward to seeing this come alive onscreen."

Webb began his career with the music video for "My Star" by the Shame Idols, then went on to direct such well-regarded clips as Green Day's "21st Century Breakdown" and "21 Guns," Miley Cyrus' "Start Over," My Chemical Romance's "Teenagers" and Fergie's "London Bridge." This past year, Webb debuted the romantic comedy "(500) Days of Summer" to raves at the Sundance Film Festival, then had the small film become one of the year's biggest success stories.

Webb will work closely with original "Spider-Man" trilogy producers Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin in developing the new film, written by James Vanderbilt, which will begin production later this year. Casting announcements are expected to be made in the next few months.
vomit.

RiskyBusiness wrote:Marc Webb taking on ‘Spider-Man’ reboot

Marc Webb has finalized a deal to helm the new “Spider-Man” movie for Columbia.

The studio last week scrapped the fourth installment of the web-slinging hero under director Sam Raimi and star Tobey Maguire and decided to reboot and scale down the franchise.

While unlikely names such as James Cameron and David Fincher were floated (when was the last time those made a scaled-down movie?), Webb quietly rose to the top of the list of candidates.

Webb became a sought-after director with “(500) Days of Summer,” his comedic romancer for Fox Searchlight starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, earning him praise for the realistic way he portrayed a modern relationship.

Webb set up a series of projects since “Summer,” among them “Age of Rage” at Searchlight. It was his Fox projects that were major hurdles in the deal, as his next movie was expected to be for that company. Fox had to allow him to bow out of his commitment before a deal could be made with Columbia.

Webb, who has options on two sequels, will now tackle a Jamie Vanderbilt script that sees a “Spider-Man” movie that will look and feel very different from the big movies that went before it.

The plan for the movie is to be in the $80 million range and feature a cast of relative unknowns (so you can quash those Rob Pattinson or Gordon-Levitt rumors at this point). And the story will be pared down to center on a high school kid who is dealing with the knowledge that his uncle died even though the teen had the power to stop it.

The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade’s “Ultimate Spider-Man” comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst.

Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin are producing the new movie, which will begin production this year.

Telegraph wrote:Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man: who is he?
Andrew Garfield, a little-known British actor, is the surprise choice to play Spider-Man in the latest instalment of the Hollywood franchise.

The 26-year-old will replace Tobey Maguire as the Marvel comics superhero and his mild-mannered alter ego, Peter Parker.

The new film, in 3-D, will be released in 2012. It is a "reboot" of the $2.5 billion franchise, with a focus on the superhero's early years.

"Though his name may be new to many, those who know this young actor's work understand his extraordinary talents," said Marc Webb, the film's director, as he announced the news at a Sony press event in Cancun, Mexico.

"He has a rare combination of intelligence, wit and humanity. Mark my words, you will love Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker."

Garfield was born in Los Angeles to a British mother and American father, and the family moved to Surrey when he was three. His father, Richard, is head coach of the Guildford City Swimming Club.

It was during his time at the City of London Freemen's School in Ashstead that Garfield discovered a passion for acting. He was also an accomplished gymnast, which should come in handy for Spider-Man stunts.

He won a place at London's Central School of Speech and Drama and graduated in 2004.

For the first three years of his career he worked in theatre, appearing at the National and winning a most promising newcomer award from the London Theatre Critics' Circle.

Moving into television, he won the 2007 best actor Bafta for Boy A, in which he played a young man released from prison after committing a murder when he was a child. He also won acclaim for his role in Channel 4 police drama Red Riding, and appeared in two episodes of Doctor Who.

His first big screen role was in Lions For Lambs, directed by Robert Redford and starring Meryl Streep. Redford was impressed with his audition tape and cast him without realising that he was British.

"My Dad is from America, and he has his accent still so I have grown up with that in my ear so, like anything, it just becomes second nature. So I do feel like that is an advantage and a really lucky one," Garfield said.

Asked in one interview if he felt British or American, he replied: "I don't support a football team. I've never had any affinity with any one particular thing. It means I can be in the sun and I don't have to worry about a visa. My dad is American so I was raised with a certain amount of American culture, movies and music, which I like. My mum is from Essex."

He had small roles in The Other Boleyn Girl, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and the Spike Jonze short I'm Here before being cast as Peter Parker.

Garfield confessed to suffering a "semi-panic attack" on the night of the Baftas because he was so nervous about being in the spotlight. And he said in a 2008 interview: "Here's the secret between you and me. I don't think I am ever going to be famous. That is just a hunch I have. I feel like the work I do has been very specific so far and it is not exactly mainstream, so until I do one of those projects, I think I am safe."

He used to feel guilty about his comfortable upbringing: "I was brought up in a middle class home. I went to private school. And I was always very aware of me not earning that. I got a very good lot in life – I have two very loving parents, and I have a loving older brother. I’ve had a lot of love, care and guidance in my life and I rebelled against that by being depressed and not wanting any kind of guidance. I didn’t want it. Everyone has that phase of navel gazing where they try and figure things out but I did it to an extreme."

His brother is a doctor. "As soon as I remind myself of that, I’m like 'Well, how much more noble can you get than that? Maybe, if I applied myself more in my academia, I could have been doing something more positive, more hands on. I think that’s one of the reasons I’m an actor. I was like, 'He’s a doctor. I’m not going to try to compete with that'.

His favourite actors are Daniel Day-Lewis and Dustin Hoffman. Working with Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise on Lions For Lambs "was like being in Disneyland, it was acting heaven".

He is in a relationship with actress Shannon Woodward.

His next film is Never Let Me Go, an adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's haunting novel, which co-stars Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan. It is due for release in September.
a 26-year old playing a high school student? what is this, 90210?

Just feels way too soon, and wholly unnecessary. I get doing a new twist on Batman, but man, sometimes I wish it hadn't worked so well. These reboots are getting ridiculous.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

TOH wrote:The Amazing Spider-Man: Official New Title and Andrew Garfield in Full Spider-Man Suit

Not to raise expectations, but that previously untitled Spider-Man reboot that is currently shooting with Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone has landed an uninspired official name: The Amazing Spider-Man—not to be confused with any other less amazing Spider-Man movie that has come before. The film, directed by Marc Webb from a script by James Vanderbilt and Alvin Sargent will be released entirely in 3-D on July 3, 2012.

Sony also released their latest full-body image of Andrew Garfield (who lost the supporting actor BAFTA Sunday to Geoffrey Rush) in his Spidey regalia. Again, it doesn’t seem rockingly new.
true, but it does seem rockingly suck:
garfield_spidey_400x600.jpg
the_amazing_spiderman_image[1].jpg
nice, um... reflectors? what is that, carbon fiber?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.