TC wrote:lol, there we go disagreeing again
Oops. You're on to me. :twisted:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Gotta back TC here. The first X-Men movie was okay, but X2 was excellent. Batman Begins was also great — you just need to remember you're judging the first half of what will, hopefully, be a far more coherent trilogy than this X-Men thing was. Things work a lot better when the trilogy is planned from the beginning, it was clear these three movies were entirely separate and never meant to be consumed as a whole. I have much higher hopes for the Batman flicks; now that they've set up an excellent story, and told a pretty good one too, I'm ready for numero dos to be fantastic.

Still gotta see this movie, though. X3, that is. Or "X-Men: The Last Stand" or whatever it is. Haven't heard great things, so I won't walk in with high hopes. Let's hope I'm proven wrong.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Wolverine!

Go watch now before it's yanked, pirated from ComiCon:

AICN link
Last edited by TC on 06/11/08, 13:20:03, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: vids gone, so removed
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Wolverine!

HO-LY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

as i named my first child after this character, i'm sure it goes without saying how FREAKIN' EXCITED i am for this. looks damn good so far...

Not a bad trailer. Will they finally produce an X-Men-related movie I'll actually enjoy? Stay tuned.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Not a bad trailer. Will they finally produce an X-Men-related movie I'll actually enjoy? Stay tuned.
hm. you should have at least liked the first two. but yes, take the most interesting character, drop the others, focus on one not 15... this will probably far outshoot the others.

TC wrote:you should have at least liked the first two.
I barely remember anything about the first two. And I may have even nodded off at the theater during the third one, when I wasn't giggling at the presence of Kelsey Grammer in blue makeup.

O-dot wrote:
TC wrote:you should have at least liked the first two.
I barely remember anything about the first two. And I may have even nodded off at the theater during the third one, when I wasn't giggling at the presence of Kelsey Grammer in blue makeup.
while the casting made sense, i just couldn't help but wonder how many coked-up nights he's spent like that after dunking his head in the freshly TidyBowl-ed toilet...

TC wrote: while the casting made sense, i just couldn't help but wonder how many coked-up nights he's spent like that after dunking his head in the freshly TidyBowl-ed toilet...
"Oh my stars and garters. The eightball is gone."

Blast it all. Missed the video window. Well, it better have ninjas. Wolverine was always at his best fighting dozens of Hand footsoldiers.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

It appears that Fox will be using their epic remake/Keanu Reeves vehicle The Day the Earth Stood Still to launch the heavily anticipated (and oh so briefly leaked) teaser trailer for X-Men Origins: Wolverine on December 12.

X-Men: First Class

why?? what the fuck? after a couple good movies and one silly one, we finally have what looks to be a good movie coming out in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (which, inexplicably, has cyclops in it.... when they didn't meet until what, 17 years later in the comics?) and now they're going to the opposite end of the spectrum with this bullshit? completely milking the franchise and driving it into the ground. i suppose we have bullshit trend movies like 'Twilight' staring teen characters to thank for this.

sigh. this is just embarrassing.
MTV wrote:‘Gossip Girl’ Creator Josh Schwartz To Write ‘X-Men: First Class’ Movie, Featuring Younger X-Men

Really, it was just a matter of time before studios chose someone like Josh Schwartz, the creator of several wildly popular, teen-skewed TV series like “Gossip Girl,” “The OC” and “Chuck,” to focus some attention on Marvel’s favorite team of mutants. According to Variety, 20th Century Fox has tapped the teen-savvy creator to write “X-Men: First Class,” an upcoming film that focuses on younger versions of Marvel’s X-Men and, the studio hopes, bring audiences back to a franchise that earned more than $1.2 billion worldwide.

The deal also leaves open the possibility of Schwartz directing the film, though he hasn’t opted to do so at this point. Lauren Shuler Donner, who produced all of the previous “X-Men” films, as well as the upcoming “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” will produce “First Class.”

What isn’t clear at this point, however, is what sort of story — or characters — the studio is envisioning for the film. Previous X-Men films and a Marvel Comics series of the same name do provide some room for speculation, though.

While the article notes that Fox has been leaning toward using some of the younger characters introduced in the earlier X-Men films — noting the prominent roles of Iceman, Rogue, Colossus and Shadowcat (Kitty Pryde) in “X-Men: The Last Stand” — and focusing on the students instead of the teachers at the Xavier Institute, Marvel’s “X-Men: First Class” comic book has a slightly different focus.

Debuting in 2006, Marvel’s “X-Men: First Class” began as an all-ages series that focused on the first years of the original X-Men members: Cyclops, Jean Grey (Marvel Girl), Iceman, Beast and Angel. The series was an unexpected success and has since spawned several volumes.

Whether the studio’s plans for an “X-Men: First Class” film involve some of the younger mutants already introduced in previous films or a look at younger versions of the existing team leaders in the film has yet to be announced, but that’s likely to be the topic of much debate between now and when the decision goes public.

Re: X-Men: First Class

Milk-Reboot-Milk-Reboot-Repeat

Hey, at least it's got the guy who created the OC and Chuck running it, how can they lose? :roll:
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

well, there's a really fluffy interview over at VH1 with Hugh, but here is the good part:
MTV: By now we know a lot about "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Are there any surprises left?

Jackman: I can guarantee you there are going to be surprises. David Benioff, who wrote the script, is one of the great writers in Hollywood, and he is the biggest comic book fan in the history of the world. There is not an issue of "Wolverine" or "X-Men" that he doesn't own. When he first pitched me the idea, he had such a brilliant idea that was his little twist on events. He's written it smartly. He knows what the fans want.

MTV: Where do you think the character will appear next? In one of the spin-off films for a character like Deadpool, or another Wolverine film?

Jackman: I'm not thinking I'm going off with anyone else. [Laughs.]

MTV: You want another one of your own?

Jackman: Yeah, damn it. Of course.

MTV: Where do you want to see the character go in the future?

Jackman: The most intriguing thing to me was the Japan story. I love the Japan story. I wanted to do the Japan story from around "X-Men 2." Can you just picture Wolverine in Japan with the triads and the samurai? It's just genius. Comedically and dramatically, I thought, "This is awesome!" But how can you do that before you explain his origins? If we tried to mix the origin and Japan together, it wouldn't do justice to either. So you can tell by the answer where I'd like it to go.

SuperHeroHype wrote:New Wolverine Photos Online!

Five more images from 20th Century Fox's Wolverine have come online and can be viewed below! The Gavin Hood-directed spin-off stars Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber, Ryan Reynolds, Taylor Kitsch, Will.i.am, Danny Huston, Dominic Monaghan, Daniel Henney and Lynn Collins. The first trailer for the May 1st release will hit theaters with The Day the Earth Stood Still on December 12th.
wolverinenewpics1[1].jpg
wolverinenewpics2[1].jpg
wolverinenewpics3[1].jpg
wolverinenewpics4[1].jpg
wolverinenewpics5[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uh-oh...I actually heard about this last week as my buddy's brother in law who's in the effects business was heading up to Vancouver for some more work, but I didn't know there would be "extensive re-shoots"...

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/n ... 508/tcid/1
Extensive WOLVERINE Reshoots Are Happening

Sources have informed us that Fox is conducting extensive re-shoots for "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", some or all of those re-shoots in Vancouver. And by "extensive" we're not talking about a few days of pick-ups. More curious was the studio considered bringing in a few journalists to cover these re-shoots. Now usually re-shoots such as this are done quietly. Studios don't want you to know they done fucked up and can't get their shit together in the editing room.

As for the production, everyone (and by "everyone", I mean the world of online film journalists) knows that Gavin Hood was not getting to make the movie he wanted while on set. There have been reports of Fox basically going around Hood and micro-managing like they always do. Example: some sets were re-painted because it's what the execs wanted, not what Hood wanted.

There have also been many leaked reports that Richard Donner was on the set in some capacity while they were filming. Some in the online world have speculated that Mr. Donner was doing more than just standing around, casting long, adoring gazes at Taylor Kitsch (although he can hardly be faulted if that was the case). We can neither confirm nor substantiate these claims about Donner since we weren't there and we don't know. But with Gavin Hood helming the re-shoots, Fox and Hood must have come to an understanding and are clearly trying to salvage one of the summer tent-poles of 2009. Let's hope that Fox is spending all this money to finally give fans the movie that they've been clamoring for.

This all leads to the big question: What the hell kind of "Wolverine" movie are they making? Is it FUCKING EPIC like the trailer? Is it a softer, perhaps sillier comic book movie like "Fantastic 4"? Or is it true to the bad-ass character of the comics that fans have loved ever since he was introduced back in 1974? Fans want a dark, gritty "Wolverine" movie because that's what the character is. Those adamantium claws aren't for back scratches, they're for back impalements. If "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" is closer to the "PG" side of the tracks than the hard-"PG-13" side where fans want it, then the movie will open huge but when those other big summer releases come along, it will disappear like all off Fox's movies last year.

After 2008 and with this current "Watchmen" fiasco, Fox is in trouble. Here's a list of all the major releases from 20th Century Fox last year:

27 Dresses
Meet the Spartans
Jumper
Nim's Island
What Happens in Vegas
Deception
The Happening
Meet Dave
Space Chimps
The X-File: I Want to Believe
Babylon A.D.
City of Ember
Max Payne
Australia
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Marley & Me

Other than "Marley & Me", this is the gang that couldn't shoot straight. The quality of these films ranges from mediocre to holocaust. It is one of the worst slates in recent memory and Fox needs to do something and they need to do it with "Wolverine".

"Wolverine" is important for multiple reasons: first, if "Wolverine" doesn't go over well, then not only do sequels for that character go away, but other potential spin-offs, such as Deadpool and Gambit and other mutants, also vanish. Second, if Fox screws over a character as popular as "Wolverine", then compounded with the ill-will garnered by their behavior with "Watchmen", the geek community will have their biggest punching bag since George Lucas. Every film that tries to appeal to the coveted 18-34 male demographic will be an uphill battle in terms of marketing and getting that demo excited.

So with these re-shoots, as with any re-shoots, Fox is trying to "fix" the problem. Granted, the problem seems to be their own doing, but at least they're trying to hit the undo-button. Hence, that's why journalists might be invited to the set during the re-shoots—to show everyone how Fox is trying to make good on this movie. Fox is going to spend millions more to make the movie they were supposed to make in the first place.

Sounds great, right? Fox may have finally pulled its head out of its ass. I know I'm giving 20th Century Fox a lot of shit but look at that list of films again. A good handful of those films aren't just bad or forgettable. They're abominations in the eyes of the Lord.

We contacted Fox before running this story to get their comments. Their response is that these shoots were always planned and are intended to capture specific weather conditions. Personally, I think it's better if they're trying to turn a corner in the way they're planning to make movies, but "weather conditions" is their official reasoning for these shoots in Vancouver.

So if Fox is turning a corner, then more power to them. I want to see a great "Wolverine" movie as much as you do. But trust isn't earned overnight and we'll keep following leads and talking to sources to see if Fox can redeem itself with this highly-anticipated movie.
Last edited by TC on 16/01/09, 14:00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove surplus line breaks

TC wrote:"holocaust", lol. yeah, that looks like a pretty bad list of films. i say "looks like" because i saw none of them.
I can attest to X-Files and The Happening coming in right around holocaust level. Even my wife thought 27 Dresses was dumb, and she can stomach most chick flicks. They need to get rid of the studio head, I forget his name but my friend's brother-in-law says he cares nothing about quality, considers the X-Men frachise they own a stupid but effective cash cow, etc.

27 Dresses, while awful, did actually make money, which is all that counts to the studio execs. But most of the other films on that list tanked. Sadly, Wolverine will probably make them money, awful or not, just on the name alone.
If I had to venture a guess, these "re-shoots" are probably due to the pack mentality that now says comic book films need to be "dark" because Dark Knight was and made a boatload of money. So for once that mentality may actually help a film. None of the Fox comic based films have really been that great. X-men 2 was probably the best of the lot, and even it was average at best. So even if they do try to "darken up" Wolverine, I can't imagine it'll turn out well. Fox meddles too much with their filmmakers. Ironic since none of their comic films, x-men aside, have really been a success, commercially or otherwise.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

G4 wrote:Hugh Jackman Answers 'Wolverine' Rumors
633679736274669814[1].jpg
X-Men Origins: Wolverine star, Hugh Jackman recently sent an e-mail to Ain't It Cool News, updating fans on the status of the (rumored to be) troubled production. With the recent news of abruptly-ordered re-shoots, the online rumor mills have been buzzing with speculation about what kind of troubles are plaguing this production. Possibly looking to contain any any damage, Jackman released the following statement:
Hey Mate- Would you mind posting this? Thank you for your support! HJ

Hey everyone -

It's Hugh Jackman, sending this note from freezing Vancouver. I have read a lot of your online comments regarding the footage that we are currently shooting and I share your passion for the Wolverine character and the movie - I owe it all to you guys!

I wanted to reach out and let you know that due to scheduling conflicts with certain cast members and location/weather considerations, we had to wait until now to shoot a couple of scenes. Please rest assured that WOLVERINE will be badass and hopefully meet all of your expectations. I am stoked by the positive response to the teaser, which clearly reflects the tone and scope of the film. If you like that, we've got much more in store!

In the meantime, here's an exclusive shot of some characters you may recognize...

Cheers,
Hugh
Obviously, the film is not benefiting from the widespread rumors, which consist of supposed executive interference and scenes so potentially disastrous that they required re-shoots a little over three months before the release date. Jackman's timing was definitely right (and the above exclusive photo that he included didn't exactly hurt things either.) The reasons he gives regarding the re-shoots being due to factors such as scheduling and weather are definitely plausible. The schedules of actors can be unorthodox. For that reason alone, it makes shooting schedules adhere to odd, out-of-sequence circumstances. Factoring in weather conditions, it does make sense.

This film is like an abusive spouse. You get one bit of news, a new photo, or a decent trailer, and you start to think "awesome!" Then...SLAP...you get these rumblings of the film being disastrous, pics of Wolverine in odd historical scenes, and the presence of characters anachronistic to his origin story (Gambit & Deadpool.) Then, when you are all angry and uneasy, something else comes along to make you think "awesome!" and the process repeats itself. I think I speak for all fans when I say that we REALLY want this film to work. There are so many good Wolverine stories that could potentially make great films. That of course, all depends on how well this one turns out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.