Re: Wolverine 2

wolverine_ver7.jpg
wolverine_ver8_xlg.jpg
wolverine_ver9_xlg.jpg
well, now i have to go re-read lone wolf & cub....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

this just got 100% more interesting to me:
BAD wrote:New X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Pic All But Confirms Who Dinklage Is Playing
still-of-peter-dinklage-in-a-little-bit-of-heaven__span.jpg
Bryan Singer continues to tweet pictures from the set of X-Men: Days of Future Past, and his latest photo has a guy in a jumpsuit that marks him as an employee of Trask Industries. For those not in the know, Trask Industries would be owned by a fellow named Bolivar Trask, who created the giant mutant-hunting robots known as The Sentinels. They're among the most iconic foes the X-Men have ever faced in the comics, but they've never really made the jump to the movies (they sort of show up in a Danger Room sequence in one film).

This means that Peter Dinklage is almost certainly playing Bolivar Trask, a guess people had been making for some time. He has the mustache, and we know his role wasn't written for a dwarf, and Trask isn't a dwarf in the comics.

Trask was never a favorite villain of mine, but I like the Sentinels. The big question is this: will the movie include Nimrod, the baddest ass Sentinel of all? After all, 90% of people think Nimrod is a put-down, and have no idea of its true meaning, which is basically 'mighty hunter' and comes from Noah's grandson in Genesis. My understanding - seriously - is that Bugs Bunny's sarcastic use of the term when dealing with Elmer Fudd has forever tainted it.
BLX3BNKCYAAw2Iq_(1).jpg
xmen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TC on 28/05/13, 15:33:03, edited 1 time in total.

The ads I've seen have been uniformly underwhelming. Why can't Hollywood get this character right?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I don't think it looks bad if you enjoyed the original comics but I also think since they screwed up the last one (both individual and X Men with him in it) it's all getting a little shopworn at this point. Mangold is a guy who will execute a script so if they got that right it might be OK, but I don't expect him to elevate the thing.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: X-Men: Days Of Future Past

xmen_days_of_future_past_xlg.jpg
xmen_days_of_future_past_ver2_xlg.jpg
xmen_days_of_future_past_ver3_xlg.jpg
xmen_days_of_future_past_ver4_xlg.jpg

saw this with the kids over the weekend. i went in with extremely low expectations but actually enjoyed it quite a bit. the last half seems like there is just maybe one too many things going on - it's a bit busy and ADHD-ish - but really, the film plays out exactly like a graphic novel/mini-series would if you were reading it. i think the problem most people are having with this is that when reading such a thing, your mind fills in a lot of the blanks. it's not really feasible to do that in film. granted, this is a script/director issue that should be handled, but if you are legitimately trying to create a comic book on film, i think this is pretty much how it would turn out. you could take the storyboards for this and put them in a binder and have a very successful GN. they kind of dicked the silver samurai here, but overall again - i did like it. my older son said he thinks it was the best of the x-men films. i certainly wouldn't go that far - x-men 2 and first class were really good - but it's as close as marvel has gotten to getting wolverine right. i still don't understand why that's so hard to do - fantastic character, great fanbase, trunks full of pre-existing story lines, a guy who genuinely WANTS to play the part and is good at it.... but apparently marvel's hollywood-i-zation makes it impossible to film a proper wolvie movie. shrug.

trailers make this look shit, don't judge by them. there is some story here. and the credits tag places this film right into the x-men film canon nicely.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/the-wolverine.html

that pretty much sums up why i felt like there were just too many things happening - lots and lots of assumptions and "fill in the blanks" made here. semi-amusing. still, when the previous wolverine movie and x-men 3 are your low points, this is five star. i still stand by the fact that this is the kind of shit that happens in comics all the time and doesn't get the scrutiny because there is another one next month.

Well sure, it's the franchise that started as a metaphor for racism, but it's still a fucking comic book adaptation, not a Tarkovsky cinematic dirge.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I read all sorts of comic books, but the classic superhero variety tend to be action delivery devices. I always liked X-Men because they had more angst than most, but really, that's been the Marvel MO since Fantastic Four. Still, I'm probably cracking wise more on Singer's consistently glum style than the X-Men themselves. As I was saying to JD the other day, this is the first X-Men I've actually been excited about since X2.