Wolverine 2

Well maybe they'll just skip the new kids and Magneto films and get right to the Wolverine sequel...
Hugh Jackman, Seeds planting pics
Actor to star in 'Wolverine' sequel, 'Carousel'
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Fox and Seed are in development on a sequel to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which topped the domestic box office over the weekend.

The Seed partners have begun planning the sequel, which they are squarely focusing on the samurai storyline originated in the comic series, and whose Japanese locale was teased after the film's final credits. A writer has yet to be hired. Seed will produce.

Fox has just closed a deal to acquire "Personal Security," a spec script by Matt Lieberman. Jackman will star as a tough Gotham police detective forced into bodyguard duty for a spoiled teen heiress who is receiving kidnapping threats. Jackman and Palermo will produce with Tapestry's Michael Schreiber.

While Jackman has not set his next star vehicle, he has gotten revved up over "Drive," a Seed-produced adaptation of the James Sallis novel set up at Universal.

Jackman will play a solitary man who drives race cars by day and getaway cars by night in Los Angeles. Jackman was energized by the latest draft written by Hossein Amini, who turned in a script that Jackman said captured the tone of a Steve McQueen film.

Long-in-the-works "Carousel" is also now a priority at Fox 2000, after David Magee turned in a script that Jackman and Palermo said keeps the timeless spirit of the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic, but injects relevance for a contemporary audience. Jackman will play Billy Bigelow. On Jackman's wishlist for the role of Julie Jordan is Anne Hathaway, who dueted with him in the Oscarcast opening number. Negotiations have not begun with the actress.

Finally, Jackman, who won a Tony for "The Boy From Oz," hopes to return to the Broadway stage in early 2010 in the title role in "Houdini," with Jack O'Brien ("Hairspray") directing, Danny Elfman writing the music, and David Yazbek ("Dirty Rotten Scoundrels") writing lyrics. The book was first written by Kurt Andersen, but the producers are aiming for a rewrite. Jackman and Palermo will produce with Scott Sanders and David Rockwell.

The Fox-based Seed label has grown in size to include execs Amanda Schweitzer, Kathryn Tamblyn, Allan Mandelbaum and Joe Marino, with Alan Free operating the Sydney-based production office whose goal is to mount modest-budget films to harness local talent in Jackman's home country.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=13&cs=1
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Wolverine!

yeah, i would LOVE to see the japan saga on screen....
VH1 wrote:Success Of 'Wolverine' Paves Way For Sequels, Spin-Offs
An R-rated musical starring Deadpool? Probably not, but you can bet there's gonna be something.

Over the weekend, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" sliced its way through piracy leaks, bad reviews, swine flu and other obstacles to grab nearly $90 million at the box office. Now a sequel is all but guaranteed.

At the film's premiere last week, we asked Jackman — using a scale of 1 to 10 — to guess the likelihood of Wolverine returning. "10 is you'll never see him again?" he repeated. "Then a 2. I'd like to do it. I love the character. A lot will depend on what happens this weekend. We'll see if people want to see the story."

As the box-office results poured in, a one-word answer to Jackman's question emerged: "Duh!" Now, the new question is which of several possible sequels we'll see next:

"X-Men: First Class": One of the most tantalizing scenes in "Origins" depicts dozens of young mutants, including Cyclops, fleeing William Stryker and encountering Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) for the first time. "Class" would focus on him, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and others as they depict the early days of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. The current front-runner for the next "X-Men" film out of the gate, we already know that Gambit won't be in it — but will Wolverine make an appearance? "I don't know. You're asking good questions, you've done your research," Jackman said with a grin when we pressed him. "I've got nothing to do with that movie. They don't need me as a producer. I haven't even read the script, but we'll see."

"X-Men Origins: Magneto": Years ago, news of the "Wolverine" and "Magneto" spin-offs broke at the same time and were nearly always mentioned together. Writer/director David Goyer said recently that the future of the magnetized villain would be contingent on the success of "Wolverine" — and now, it seems, a spin-off focusing on young Eric Lensherr and Charles Xavier could be full-steam ahead.

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2": Yep, you can safely bet it won't be called that. But Jackman's already got the ball rolling on a sequel with an amnesia-ridden Logan searching for himself in Japan. "Look, I won't lie to you — I've been talking to writers," the star/producer told us. "I'm a big fan of the Japanese saga [as seen] in the comic book ... I love the idea of this anarchic character — the outsider — being in this world. I can see it aesthetically, too, full of honor and tradition and customs, and someone who's really anti all of that, trying to negotiate his way."

"Untitled Gambit Movie": After a decade of waiting, "X-Men" fans finally got to see Gambit on the big screen this past weekend. Now the card-carrying mutant is one of two breakout "Origins" characters who might get his own film, and actor Taylor Kitsch wants to shoot it on location in the Big Easy. "If we were to do Gambit on his own ... I'd go to New Orleans, man, and just shoot in there, because that's another character in the movie on its own," he explained to us recently, saying he imagines a darker tale that could bring Anna Paquin back from the original films to explore the comic's romantic story line with her character. "She's such a great actor. I'd love to work with her, and that would be cool to see Gambit and Rogue."

"Untitled Deadpool Movie": Like Kitsch, Ryan Reynolds signed on to "Origins" with hopes of a spin-off, and the series' producer has already expressed hope that "X-Men" and "X2" director Bryan Singer will return for one of them. "I don't know if it would be an origin story, but it would definitely have to be something that encompasses the past, present and future of Deadpool," explained Reynolds, who would like to introduce the character's super-strong, machine-aided partner, Cable, as well. "I'm thinking musical; a rated-R musical. It hasn't been done. Deadpool singing, dancing — maybe dancing girls."
then there's this:
VH1 wrote:'Wolverine': Experts Weigh In On Effects Of Leak
'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' nabbed $90 million at the box office, but that doesn't mean online piracy is harmless.

The summer-movie season opened with a bang this weekend, as "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" nabbed almost $90 million at the box office. A month earlier — on April Fools' Day, no less — an incomplete copy of the Hugh Jackman action flick leaked on the Web, and industry experts and comic book fans had been wondering if the pirated version would hurt "Wolverine" at the box office.

But after its impressive opening weekend, "Wolverine" seems to have escaped relatively unharmed. "Nothing replaces the thrill of seeing a good old-fashioned popcorn movie on the big screen, and clearly the fans felt that way about 'Wolverine,' " said Harry Medved, a spokesperson for movie ticketing site Fandango. "There are so many intricately choreographed action set pieces and elaborate CGI effects in 'Wolverine' that it would look horrible on a computer screen, so watching it online would have been a waste of time."

Still, countless hundreds of thousands of people — the majority likely devoted comic book fanboys — did check out the early version online. But some industry experts contend their largely negative reaction did not drive down attendance numbers significantly. "A significant number of those people [who watched the leaked version] were excited enough by the property that they were going to go to see the finished movie in a theater regardless," David Poland of industry blog Movie City News said. He estimates that "Wolverine" lost between $1 million and $8 million because of the piracy.

The general public, however, seemed to have less exposure to the leak. "I think what really helped 'Wolverine' overcome the piracy issue [was] the people who went out to see it were probably more casual moviegoers than just the comic people," said Edward Douglas of movie site ComingSoon.net. "Which is why 'Wolverine' ended up opening so much bigger than 'Watchmen,' " which made $55 million during its debut weekend in March. Douglas added that a lower running time and a PG-13 benefited "Wolverine" too.

Also helping the movie's big weekend was the fact that, contrary to conventional wisdom, the film was not strictly for guys. According to a Fandango survey, 48 percent of first-weekend "Wolverine" attendees were women, belying the notion that women instead opted for the Matthew McConaughey rom-com "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" ($15.3 million).

Another interesting comparison is between "Wolverine" and previous films in the franchise. The most recent installment, "X-Men: The Last Stand," did more than $100 million on fewer screens in 2006. "If you think about how much ticket prices have gone up in those years, 'Wolverine' probably had a lower attendance despite playing in significantly more theaters," Douglas said.

Whether those lower attendance figures are attributable to the leak, of course, is not known. Poland pointed out that "Wolverine" had a lower budget than the previous two "X-Men" films and thus will be profitable in its worldwide theatrical release while, he said, last year's blockbuster "Iron Man" was not.

Will the remarkable $90 million opening for "Wolverine," despite its illegal online exposure, have other studio execs breathing a sigh of relief? Don't count on it, Poland said.

"If the 'Wolverine' leak is only the beginning, then the film industry has a major, major problem," he said. "Anomalies are always given too much attention, but when anything becomes standard, it has a very different impact."

so... did anyone see this?

some bizarre happenings....
NYdailyNews wrote:Fox's axed man blames Scientologists

Fox News bowed to pressure from Kelly Preston, Tom Cruise and other members of the Church of Scientology when it fired columnist Roger Friedman, the entertainment journo is expected to charge in a wrongful termination lawsuit this week.

In April, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. announced it had “terminated” Friedman after he wrote on FoxNews.com about watching a pirated Internet copy of 20th Century Fox’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.”

Friedman is convinced that was a cover story. Last August, Friedman went to Memphis for the funeral of his friend and R&B legend Isaac Hayes, who was a Scientologist. Preston was also in town for the funeral. Friedman, who now writes for The Hollywood Reporter, tells us that when Preston saw him at the Peabody Hotel, Mrs. John Travolta loudly blasted him for his columns criticizing Scientology.

“She called me a ‘religious bigot,’  ” Friedman recalls.

The following month, says an ally of Friedman, Preston voiced her complaints about Friedman to Fox News chief Roger Ailes and his then-EVP, John Moody.

“Moody talked to her on the phone,” says the source. “When she couldn’t get Moody to fire Friedman, she called him a [obscenity].”

Ailes and Moody later agreed to meet with Preston and Church of Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis (the son of actress Anne Archer), according to the source, who says Friedman’s editors subsequently forbid him from writing about the death in January of Preston’s son, Jett.

Meanwhile, Friedman says, 20th Century Fox chairman Jim Gianopoulos had been encouraging him to lay off Cruise’s movie “Valkyrie,” which Fox was distributing internationally.

Last month, Variety reported that Cruise was in advanced talks to star with Cameron Diaz in a Fox action comedy, “Wichita.” A source suspects that Cruise may have made Friedman’s ouster a condition of the actor appearing in “Wichita.  ”

After the studio accused Friedman of “promoting” piracy with his positive “Wolverine” review, “nobody from Fox News defended me,” says Friedman. “They let the studio dictate to the newsroom.”

Friedman’s attorney, Martin Garbus, says: “It’s outrageous that Rupert Murdoch made a decision to fire Roger after four of Roger’s editors and superiors reviewed his column and found it very good. In falsely claiming Roger engaged in piracy, they attempted to destroy the reputation of a fine journalist.” Friedman’s “411” column is said to have attracted 50 million hits a year.

Murdoch is reported to have bristled a few years back when Scientologists tried to recruit his son Lachlan. But Garbus said, “I’ve seen how Scientology intimidates even the most powerful media. That seems to be what happened here.”

According to Garbus, the leak of “Wolverine” onto the Web traced back to Murdoch asking the studio to make him a DVD copy of the unfinished movie. “Apparently, someone made another copy for themselves,” says Garbus.

Garbus crows that the suit, due to be filed in Manhattan Federal Court, is a “slam dunk.”

A Fox News rep declined to comment. Cruise’s attorney said it was “utterly false” that the actor sought Friedman’s removal. Preston’s lawyer, Martin Singer called Friedman’s claim “absurd and ridiculous. He was terminated just days after [his ‘Wolverine’ column]. It is outrageous to try to blame my client... on the basis of something that supposedly took place eight months earlier.”
cliff's notes: rupert murdoch himself was the source of the leak, and they fired friedman due to scientologists' complaints.

I don't buy it. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. Remember, Fox is not some big giant single organization. It's a company made up of many divsions that rarely talk to each other, or even think of each other's wellbeing. It's very possible that Friedman's editors would have approved his column, as they wouldn't be thinking about things that would anger the film division such as a priated copy. And remember, at first there was no talk of firing him. It wasn't till the film division caught wind of it and started screaming bloody murder that higher ups at the company had to step in and get him canned. Furthermore, the statement "falsely claiming Roger engaged in piracy" is outright silly, as he admitted right in the column that he downloaded the film off the internet. Oops!
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: Wolverine 2

MTV wrote:Hugh Jackman Offers 'Wolverine 2' Update: 'We're Starting To Work On It Now'

Late last year, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" star Hugh Jackman began teasing that he'd like to bring Logan to Japan for a live-action adaptation of Frank Miller and Chris Claremont's fan-favorite story arc that had the Marvel Comics hero learning Eastern philosophy and fighting skills. While the actor offered up a confirmation of sorts prior to "Wolverine" hitting theaters that he was "talking to writers" about going the Japanese route for the sequel, the studio made it official after the film found success at the box office.

During this weekend's Teen Choice Awards, Jackman devoted part of his acceptance speech ("Wolverine" won the action/adventure film category) to teasing the aforementioned sequel -- and Logan's impending journey to Japan.

"Who knows, maybe Wolverine will use one of these when he heads to Japan," Jackman told the crowd, holding up the surfboard that served as the award. "See you next time around!"

"The 'going to Japan' was pretty serious, the 'using the surfboard' was not. Not a lot of surfing in Japan," laughed Jackman when we caught him backstage.

Offering an update of sorts for the sequel, Jackman told MTV News "Japan is where we're heading, [and] we're starting to work on it now. We're in the ... first steps of developing that story."

Reiterating his desire to Miller and Claremont's story arc brought to the screen, Jackman said he's "made no real secret" of his fondness for that particular chapter of Wolverine's history. "I think the fans love that saga. It's my favorite saga of the Wolverine stories."

"That's a movie I've longed to make from the beginning, so that's where we're heading," he said.

Re: X-Men: First Class

either jackman is lying, this guy is lying, or both films are being developed in unison:
MTV wrote:'X-Men: First Class' Could Shoot In Early 2010 According To Cyclops Himself

If "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" accomplished only one thing, it's this: there will be more "X-Men" films. Between "Deadpool," "X-Men Origins: Magneto" and "X-Men: First Class," it's really just a matter of which movies are going to come first. Based on "Wolverine" actor Tim Pocock's recent comments, it's likely that "X-Men: First Class" could well be the next movie on Fox's mutant agenda.

"Currently shooting Australian TV series till February 2010...then X-men first class," the actor wrote on Twitter just a few short days ago, implying that production on the movie could be ramping up soon.

"First Class," which allegedly focuses on the young adventures of Cyclops, Jean Grey and Beast, has been the subject of some speculation lately. Original "X-Men" helmer Bryan Singer's name has been mentioned as the possible director of "First Class," though nothing official has been stated either way just yet.

If Pocock's comments pan out, then we're likely to hear word of a director soon, whether it's Singer or not. News of casting could also be on the way, with Pocock as Cyclops seemingly a given and Patrick Stewart's return as Charles Xavier likely as well.

Then again, we are talking Twitter, here. As with Rose McGowan's recent Twitter comments, Pocock's own statements could well be premature, inaccurate or otherwise misinterpreted. Still, the prospect of "X-Men: First Class" lensing as early as February 2010 is nonetheless intriguing.
btw, i feel like i should mention that, while wolverine was one of my favorite characters in the comics, i still haven't seen the film. it just didn't look good to me at all. i hear i'm not missing much.

Didn't see it either, will probably stick it on Netflix but don't have much hope. I would have hope for these projects if they had a unified creative team behind the scenes, but aside from some of the actors...well, Jackman...I see no consistency or vision. They're going into spinoff overkill, not unlike the X-Men comics in the 1990s I suppose.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

while wolverine was one of my favorite characters in the comics, i still haven't seen the film.
Save your money. It sucks.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

X-Men 4

THR wrote:Bryan Singer wants more 'X-Men'
Director of first two films has discussed return with Fox

BUSAN -- Bryan Singer said Sunday he's interested in making another "X-Men" movie and has discussed the possibility with Twentieth Century Fox.

The American director made "X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United," but passed on the third installment so he could make "Superman Returns.""Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner ended up shooting that film, "X-Men: The Last Stand." South African filmmaker Gavin Hood made another spin-off, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which was released earlier this year.

"I'm still looking to possibly returning to the 'X-Men' franchise. I've been talking to Fox about it," Singer said at a talk at South Korea's Pusan International Film Festival.

"I love Hugh Jackman. I love the cast," he said, referring to the Australian actor who plays Wolverine.

Singer said he enjoyed making science fiction and fantasy movies because they allowed him to discuss serious issues through entertainment. He said the "X-Men" series, which follows a group of mutants with superpowers who struggle to fit in with humans, is about tolerance and social structures.

He said he likes to "trick audiences into thinking they're seeing fireworks, but they're learning about themselves and listening to what I have to say."

"The excitement about working in science fiction and fantasy is — the stories, if they are good, are about the human condition," Singer said.

Appearing at a panel discussion with South Korean director Kim Ji-woon, the American director also said he appreciated the creative freedom South Korean filmmakers enjoyed to make the final cut, compared to Hollywood, where directors must negotiate with studio executives.

Hollywood movie budgets are so high that "the risk is too great to leave it in the hands of a filmmaker," he said, adding that he "has a responsibility to help studios feel secure in their investments."

Singer made his name with the 1995 critically acclaimed thriller "The Usual Suspects" but later earned a strong following among comic books fans for his adaptations of popular comic book series.

Re: X-Men 4

Singer said he enjoyed making science fiction and fantasy movies because they allowed him to discuss serious issues through entertainment.
That's exactly what I don't like about them: action scenes punctuated by god-awful dialogue on the Great Issues of Our Time.

Just make a fun movie and leave the self-important pontificating out of it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Singer returns!
Bryan Singer is returning to helm X-MEN: FIRST CLASS!!!

Hey folks, Harry here... From the AVATAR world premiere press line, Eric Goldman of IGN chatted with Bryan Singer and learned that after Bryan directs JACK THE GIANT KILLER, he'll direct X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. Which has been described as an "origin film" - whatever that may mean.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43402

a writer now too...
THR wrote:Fox confirms Bryan Singer on 'X-Men: First Class,' hires writer (UPDATED)

Bryan Singer is returning to Fox for another "X-Men" movie.

Singer, who directed the first two installments before famously jumping ship to make “Superman Returns,” has signed on to develop and direct “X-Men: First Class.”

The studio has tapped Jamie Moss to write the screenplay and work with Singer on the project, which goes back to the drawing board. "Class" was put into development in 2008 as a prequel to the "X-Men" movies, looking at the teenage years of the super-powered mutant heroes seen the “X-Men” movies and the “Wolverine” movie. New characters will also be created.

The story is still in the early stages of development but will deal with the first meeting of Charles Xavier and Magneto and involve the creation of the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning, the school masquerading as the headquarters of the X-Men.

Singer revealed his involvement during a red carpet interview at the “Avatar” premiere. Fox confirmed the news Thursday.

While the deal seems to clear up any bad blood that may have existed when Singer left the studio for Warner Bros. and “Superman,” it also reflects the studio’s realization of the value Singer brings to the franchise he helped launch. While “X-Men: Last Stand” and “Wolverine” were blockbusters, they were received less than enthusiastically by fans of the Marvel Comics characters.

“First Class” takes its name from a Marvel Comics limited series written by Jeff Parker. Josh Schwartz wrote an earlier draft of the script.

Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producing.

Although WME-repped Singer has several projects in development, his next project is likely to be “Jack the Giant Killer,” New Line’s take on the classic fairy tale.

Moss worked on “Ghost in the Shell” for DreamWorks and wrote “Street Kings,” the crime drama directed by David Ayer. He is repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment.

io9 wrote:James McAvoy Cast As Charles Xavier In X-Men First Class

It's official: James McAvoy has signed on to play Professor X in the new X-Men prequel, directed by Kick-Ass' Matthew Vaughn. Which means we'll be getting to know a much, much younger Charles Xavier.

THR announced that McAvoy would be taken on the role previously played by Patrick Stewart. After the announcement that Vaughn would be the director, and now this news, it seems like Fox is hell-bent on meeting its June 3, 2011 release date.

Here's the official synopsis released by the studio:

"The epic beginning of the X-Men saga. Before Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were the closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-Men."

But the fact that this will be an origins story that doesn't mean we'll only be treated to these two familiar mutant faces. After interviewing the screenwriters, we feel pretty sure that many characters will be "reintroduced" in this film.

So, much like the first film, they're slamming it into production for an unrealistic start date...seriously, they'd better at least have a workable script by now if they want it out in 367 days. Really too bad Marvel couldn't get this and Fantastic 4 back from Fox, I always hear bad things about their "dedication" to quality comic adaptations.

I believe if Fox doesn't have some form of X-men film in development they lose the rights in 2012. Thus their reason to keep crappy X-men films in development. I guess Wolverine wasn't quite as awful as I thought it was going to be.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured regarding the rights. Heh, I've picked up Wolverine from the library twice in the last couple of months but both times never got around to actually watching it before it was due back.

ShowBiz411 wrote:I told you some time ago — exclusively–that Michael Fassbender, hot as a pistol, had to choose between roles in the new “X Men” and “Spider Man.” I am told he has made his choice, and will appear in “X Men: First Class.” James McAvoy and Benjamin Walker are also cast in Matthew Vaughn’s upcoming blockbuster. All this news makes me want to see this movie before it’s even made!…

Bad move. His odds were better going with Sony over Fox. They have a better track record when it comes to comic adaptions. Though at least he gets to do something somewhat new with X-men, as opposed to rebooting a franchise that's not even a decade old.

g4 wrote:X-Men First Class Gets Groovy In The 60's

Over the weekend we've gotten the first bit of news about X-Men: First Class that didn't involve yet another addition to its already scale-tipped cast. After a talk with the film's former director and current producer in Bryan Singer, Ain't it Cool News reported some crucial details about the plot of director Mathew Vaughn's upcoming reboot of the X-Men film franchise. Not only is its status as a reboot (which was generally presumed for some time now,) officially confirmed, but the film will be set to take place not in today's environment, but back in the early 1960's. In a move that may satisfy hardcore canon purists, the shifting of the storyline to a Bay of Pigs/dawn of Beatlemania time-frame will actually serve as a throwback to the time in which the X-Men comic book was originally published.

The film will focus on the early relationship between Michael Fassbender's Magneto and James McAvoy's Professor Xavier at a time before latter was entitled to sweet parking spaces and still had use for a barber. Ironically enough, while this is the fourth X-Men-related film to which we've been treated, it will be the first which qualifies as a proper "origin film" for the X-Men team themselves, as we'll see the original team get recruited and trained.

According to AICN:
"The film takes place in the 1960's. John F Kennedy is the President of the United States. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X are on TV doing marches. There is a spirit of a hopeful future that was prevalent in that time. We will see how Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr met - and how they dreamt of a future with Mutant & Human kind. They're going to be in their late twenties."
Additionally, with the recent casting of Kevin Bacon and now January Jones as The White Queen Emma Frost, it has been all but confirmed that the veteran actor Bacon would be playing the role of Hellfire Club leader Sebastian Shaw. Bringing the classic group of evil aristocratic elitist mutants to the table opens up a world of comic-book-faithful possibilities for the newly-christened X-Men to battle. However, it seems that the 60's, height of the Cold War era setting may also play an important factor in the storyline will unfold.
"Looks like filming will begin with Xavier at Oxford University in the 60s. And Bryan is excited that the film is going to have a much more international feel than the prior X-MEN movies. They'll be shooting in England & the United States - and they'll be representing other locales around the globe as well, but would only tell me that Russia (aka The Soviet Union... CCCP) will be amongst them. He doesn't want to show all the cards just yet. But the International flavor will give the film a more James Bond vibe... I get the idea that this is going to be something quite special."
While it's difficult to formulate a definitive opinion on these revelations, I do find them encouraging. For one, it seems that, despite the rather superficial impression this production has made with its glutton casting, it does seem to be shooting for something deeper than the X-Men films of before. While one might conclude that this technique of grounding superhero stories into gritty, turbulent, pseudo-realistic settings borrows heavily from the playbook of Watchmen, it's at least a step in the right direction for this newly-revamped franchise. (Short of getting the rights back to Marvel, anyway.)