Re: Wolverine!

G4 wrote: required re-shoots a little over three months before the release date.
Three months is nothing in modern filmmaking. Often these days editing may go up until the week before release. So I'd hardly call this a sign of disaster. The big Fox logo on the front if the film - that I'd call a sign of disaster. :)
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Doo de doo:
“X-Men Origins: Wolverine” isn’t due in theaters until next month, but the prequel has already hacked its way online.

A high-quality, full-length work print of the 20th Century Fox film appeared online Tuesday evening. The studio said it had the file removed, but copies quickly propagated and continue to appear on several file-sharing Web sites.

The movie focuses on the beginnings of Hugh Jackman’s clawed Marvel superhero Wolverine and is set for a May 1 release.

Fox vowed in a statement Wednesday that the source of the “stolen, incomplete and early version” of the movie would be prosecuted and said the FBI and MPAA are investigating. The studio also insisted that the version of the film posted online was “was without many effects, had missing and unedited scenes and temporary sound and music.”
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

i am not happy that every goddamn commercial i see for this now is showcasing 50 other mutants.

newsflash - X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the title. this would seem to indicate the movie is, oh i don't know, ABOUT WOLVERINE.

don't fuck this up, goddammit.

Someone over at AICN posted a review of the final version that said aside from some completed effects, the leaked workprint and the final cut are exactly the same. Guess Fox's protests that it wasn't the final version with the added reshoots turned out to be hollow.
I honestly don't really have any great desire to see this film. This comes from someone who's favorite comic growing up was X-men and of course Wolverine my favorite character. But Fox has a horrible track record with comic adaptions. The second X-men movie wasn't too bad, but even it is nothing that really stands out. And something tells me we're in more for a film along the lines of X-men 3 than 2. Or worse.

they have to know that if they fuck this up, the "franchise" is doomed. his character is the strength of the x-men. jackman's wolverine is spot-on. if this tanks, they have no one to blame but themselves. and i will be super-pissed, for obvious reasons.

TC wrote:they have to know that if they fuck this up, the "franchise" is doomed. his character is the strength of the x-men. jackman's wolverine is spot-on. if this tanks, they have no one to blame but themselves. and i will be super-pissed, for obvious reasons.
Well, the next two films in the "franchise" don't even have Wolverine in them (Magneto and First Class). And let's face it, the film will probably make money just on the strenght of the name alone, no matter the quality. After all, X-men 3 is the top selling film in the franchise right now, proving box office and quality have nothing to do with each other.

Actually everything I've heard is that First Class is the x-men when they were younger (young Cyclops, young Beast and so on). So instead of New Mutants, think Muppet Babbies.

I picked up the first two X-men films on blu-ray tonight. Both had free movie cash to see Wolverine, so I guess I'll go see it since it's free.

Oh right, I forgot all about that, been taking too much percocet lately...
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

WENN wrote:Jackman Considered Quitting X-men

Australian actor Hugh Jackman contemplated walking away from the X-men franchise after the third movie - because he feared his character Wolverine had gone too "soft".

Jackman reprises his role as the superhero in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the fourth movie of the cult series.

But the film almost didn't happen, because after Jackman had completed 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand he considered stepping down from the role amid concerns over his character's development.

He says, "One thing I never felt we got with Wolverine that I really wanted to get is that berserker rage which is talked about in the comic books.

"It felt like Wolverine had got a little soft by X-Men 3 and I wanted to take it back to that bad a** quality. He's tough, he's gruff, he's not politically correct - he doesn't say the right things.

"There has to be complexity to this character. He's very tough but there's a lot of pain, history to his life that you find out about. It's not pretty. He's a flawed character. That's what I like about it, that's why I'm doing it for the fourth time or else I wouldn't."
you and everyone else. so, this is good to hear at least.

this is seriously annoying....
Yahoo wrote:Theatrical `Wolverine' promises secret endings

Fans of "Wolverine" who watched the online leak of the film won't miss one thing by skipping the theater — they'll miss at least two.

Director Gavin Hood says the theatrical version of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," due out Friday, features two different "Easter egg" endings. The short bits of footage play after the credits and reveal important information about key characters. Hood says the two endings play on separate prints, so different theaters may show different footage.

The full-length work print leaked last month has a different ending than the one recently screened for reporters.

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" stars Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber and will.i.am.
wtf kind of name is "will.i.am" anyway?

TC wrote:wtf kind of name is "will.i.am" anyway?
I suppose you make as many hits as he has you get to be called whatever you want. Though he deserves a pop in the face for that awful Boom Boom song.

Secret ending after the credits - Samual Jackson shows up? Oh wait, wrong franchise.

CNN wrote:Review: 'Wolverine' doesn't cut it

Actors call it "backstory."

It's all the stuff that happened in the past, before the movie begins. All the stuff that might explain how the character became what he or she is today.

It's obvious why that might be fascinating to the actor playing the role. But as for the rest of us, well, you have to figure the writer left it out for a reason.

But these days we're seeing a lot more "origin" stories as the studios milk each franchise for every last drop, and thus arrives "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," about the blade-wielding character Hugh Jackman plays. (Jackman, no dummy, has a producer credit on the film.)

You can be sure that someone at Twentieth Century Fox will be running the numbers Monday with a view to fast-tracking a sequel to this prequel, as well as further putative episodes devoted to Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Mystique and the rest of the class of X.

Based on "Wolverine," it's hard to get excited about the prospect. The film exhibits all the overly familiar hallmarks of the 21st-century comic book movie: an inflated sense of its own importance, turgid plotting and action sequences designed to showcase lavish CGI effects.

In many ways, it was the first "X-Men," back in 2000, that set the tone. On the one hand, director Bryan Singer embedded an earnest allegory about prejudice and minority rights; on the other, it was an FX geek's wet dream. Each mutant came with her or his own gimmick: One could shapeshift; another could levitate; yet another had a bad case of wind.

The mutants all shared the same nasty temper, but Logan/Wolverine (Jackman) had the shortest fuse -- and the silliest haircut, a '50s ducktail with ferocious rockabilly sideburns. Predictably enough, "Origins" devotes more time to exploring the roots of his anger issues than his hair, but it doesn't worry about where his most distinctive genetic features might have come from: the retractable claws that spring from his knuckles when he's irked and his invulnerability to anything short of decapitation.

In "Wolverine," Logan has lost his taste for war in Vietnam after more than a century as a fighting man (or mutant) and finally walks away in disgust from the elite mutant unit put together by Col. Stryker (Danny Huston). But his brother Victor (Liev Schreiber) has other ideas and knows how to get Wolverine to embrace his true, animalistic, nature.

Borrowing wholesale from "The Incredible Hulk," with Schreiber fairly effective in the Abomination part, "Wolverine" struggles to establish an identity of its own. The two brothers charge at each other like medieval knights jousting, and Victor -- also known as Sabretooth -- affects a dog-like, four-legged bound. But no matter how often he tries it, director Gavin Hood ("Tsotsi") never works out how to make a fight between indestructible foes tense or exciting.

That's the trouble with CG-enhanced action: What you gain in spectacle, you lose in impact. Filmmakers today can engineer destruction on a scale that would have been unimaginable 20 or 30 years ago, but it's all so much collateral damage. It's rare, these days, for an American action movie to impart any genuine sense of pain or hurt or loss. Too much Wow, not enough Ow!

In fairness, there are fleeting moments in "Wolverine" where we do feel Logan's emotional anguish. But they're only as a prelude to his anger, which is the only quality an audience is likely to find interesting about him.

Serviceable but inescapably redundant, this "Wolverine" movie does just enough to keep the "X-Men" franchise on life support, but the filmmakers will have to come up with some evolutionary changes soon if it's going to escape X-tinction.
i suppose the POV of someone that knows nothing about the character is a valid one, but to me the only review that makes sense to listen to is that of a fan of the comic.

Not holding my breath on this one, never really screamed "quality product" from the get-go, especially with Fox running it. Heard Kenneth Turan on NPR this morning, he basically said it falls far short of Nolan's Batman but is well above Daredevil, for what it's worth.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

WENN wrote:Action man Hugh Jackman has dashed his hardman persona - he's scared of dolls coming to life.

The X-Men star admits he is spooked whenever kids' toys are brought to life on-screen - and he has traced his fears back to watching horror movie Child's Play as a youngster, which featured a murderous doll named Chucky.

He says, "When dolls come to life in films, that just freaks me out, I just can't stand that. Chucky? Forget that. I remember when I was a little kid, and that little doll in the rocking chair going, 'Take the girl right up the hill and kiss the girl goodbye'... I'm like, forget that! That freaks me out."

44% on Metacritic, 37% on Rotten Tomatoes...think my popcorn money's going to Star Trek this weekend (which is knocking it out of the park if preview screening reactions are to be taken seriously).