Re: Rambo

Finally rented this new one, having never seen any Rambo films before. What a silly film. All the Rambo cliches I expected though were present. As stupid a film as it was, I have to admit it was a hoot. Kind of like a Troma film with a little bit bigger budget. In fact, Stallone kind of looks a lot like the Toxic Avenger in this film now that I think about it.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:Finally rented this new one, having never seen any Rambo films before. What a silly film. All the Rambo cliches I expected though were present. As stupid a film as it was, I have to admit it was a hoot. Kind of like a Troma film with a little bit bigger budget. In fact, Stallone kind of looks a lot like the Toxic Avenger in this film now that I think about it.
so, you've never seen First Blood? that is an actual good film, before he became a charicature of himself.

TC wrote:so, you've never seen First Blood? that is an actual good film, before he became a charicature of himself.
Guess I'll throw it in the Netflix queue. This better not be good in the same way you consider Transformers good though. Cause then we're gonna have trouble. :)

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:so, you've never seen First Blood? that is an actual good film, before he became a charicature of himself.
Guess I'll throw it in the Netflix queue. This better not be good in the same way you consider Transformers good though. Cause then we're gonna have trouble. :)
no, it's "good" good, not "fun" good.

Not counting the new one, I haven't seen any of the Rambos from start to finish. Unless it was when very young, in which case I don't remember.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Watched the original First Blood tonight. Not a bad film. Though there were still some silly cliche action bits (cars automatically blow up completely when hit!). But it wasn't nearly as silly as I expected, or the new one.

chainsaw wrote:
Watched the original First Blood tonight. Not a bad film.
The famous speech at the end of the first film is absolute comedy gold... Chaplin, eat your heart out.
i haven't seen the DVD, wonder if they fix the lines like they do on the TV version. he was so "worked up" when doing it he orignally said, "...i can't even get a job FUCKING CARS!!!!", not "washing". i used to roll on the floor every damn time, especially with his "accent".

Actually he said parking cars. I think you might have misheard it, after all he does kind of mumble the lines. It could sound like fucking I suppose. But thanks to the crystal clearness of blu-ray DTS-HD every mumble can now be made out. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Watched the second Rambo tonight. Wow, they flushed that franchise down the drain quickly. It wasn't really even fun stupid like the last one. Just stupid.

klimov wrote:The most people die in the fourth one, therefore it is the best.
I stand by my earlier statement that the fourth one is a big budget Troma film.

darkness wrote:Watched the second Rambo tonight. Wow, they flushed that franchise down the drain quickly. It wasn't really even fun stupid like the last one. Just stupid.
there was one good scene where he dumped gunpowder into his gaping wound and cauterized it via fire. that was neat. other than that, it was a showcase for another custom knife sales hike, which i succumbed to - i used to own all three knives, but destitution earlier in life forced me to sell. :|

so hey, finally watched this the other day. it was FAAAAAR better than the second and third ones. he himself doesn't actually kill that many people in this one, but others do. i'm with both mike & marcus - the CGI splatter was pretty bad and obvious, and it was like a high-budget troma film. was nothing great, don't see any reason to ever really watch it again. but, glad he closed it out like that rather than with part 3, ugh.

The original First Blood has grown on me. The other ones, not so much. I haven't bothered with any of the newer Rockys, aside from the scene I worked on in Creed 2, and probably won't this either. Stallone can't seem to quit milking the golden teats.

i haven't seen any of the newer rocky films either. that's awesome you worked on that! by all accounts, people liked them.

this, i'll see. glad you found an appreciation for first blood, it's great.

finally saw this last night. pasting my 3.5 star letterboxd review:
Going to assume if you are reading this that you accept a certain degree of plot holes, clumsiness, and 2-dimensional characters, so I won't address any of that. More similar in tone to First Blood than any of the other films, this really takes over an hour to get going full bore. Even so, I wish it were longer. With a running time of just under 90 min, I would have liked the third act to be more drawn out, where he's picking them off one by one, letting them feel fear, more like the first film rather than racing from kill scene to kill scene. While it's a crazy, over-the-top (heh) segment, it would have been nice to savor it some more and/or have more of it. Could have cut the entire "looking for daddy" sub plot and just had her visit Mexico for a grad trip or something and replaced those valuable minutes with more violence. All of that being said, there are a ridiculous number of exploding head shots in this film, while also includes some fantastic gore in the way of flaying and decapitations. The ending montage, culminating in JJR riding off into the sunset, felt like a "thank you" to fans. Thanks right back atcha, Sly. And farewell Rambo.
really wish they had dropped the whole daddy subplot, as i said. a lot of the first hour felt like "taken" but with exponentially dumber people. if the timeline of the film had been more 50/50 versus 2/3 - 1/3, i would have probably loved it more. still, that ending segment is pretty great, and as i said there is some great gore.