Re: New Dune-movie

darkness wrote: You're just jealous because you don't have the Dune pop-up book and the coloring books and I do. :)
that is entirely true.

before i respond to anything else, did you read the book?

io9 wrote:Paramount gives up on the Dune remake

We've been waiting for news on Hollywood's Dune reboot, ever since director Peter Berg left the project. Sadly, there's more bad news. Paramount is surrendering the rights to Dune. Basically, the new Dune is dead.

Deadline spoke with Richard P.Rubinstein, who owns the rights to Frank Herbert's novel, and according to him Paramount just come to a conclusion on what to do with Dune — which is that they are giving up.
"Paramount's option has expired and we couldn't reach an agreement…I'm going to look at my options, and whether I wind up taking the script we developed in turnaround, or start over, I'm not sure yet."
But he's not giving up hope entirely. And while we're sad that it may be awhile until we see some awesome CG sandworms, we take solace in the fact that the producer Rubinstein would rather not make the Dune movie at all, as opposed to bending to Hollywood's will.

Says Deadline:
Sure, it's frustrating, how long this has taken, but most of what I've done that worked out well over the years, like the miniseries The Stand, took a long time," Rubinstein said. "Since I know what I want, eventually, I'll find someone who'll agree with me. What I like is that talent has interesting things to say on how they would approach it."
sigh.

Oh yeah, I thought I heard about that a week or two back...no problem for me, the definitive version has already been made :ay:
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

as a sort of general "all things dune" thread, check this out. the worm is real - its size is just a little different:
Giz wrote:This Terrifying Monster Is a Real Animal
hydrothermal-worm[1].jpg
Let's hope that no mad scientists discover an augmentation ray, because I would not like this hydrothermal worm to be the size of a whale. Heck, I don't even want it to be the size of a striped bass.

The image was taken by a Quanta Scanning Electron Microscope, which can magnify things up to one million times. The microscopic beast is a worm found in a hydrothermal vent, an Earth fissure that puts water and hot gasses in contact, generating rich life environments. Worms like this don't have a digestive tract, but bacteria that transforms hemoglobin into carbon compounds. The worm can absorb the carbon compounds directly.

Yes, there are vampire bacteria living inside the worms. The world is a wonderful place.
also, check this out - it has the potential to be incredible. want to see the whole thing!!!!
http://www.boingboing.net/2011/07/17/du ... ialog.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You know, I get the idea and certainly think that if some of the haters stepped back and enjoyed Dune as a visual piece they'd get why some of us are big fans--fuck you whiners, this movie looks great--but it's not going to work from a narrative standpoint with zero dialogue and this scene, highlighting Lynch's visual poetry as it does, illustrates that. The poster's comment on youtube, something along the lines of "feel free to use for satirical/ridicule purposes," gives you an idea of where he's coming from. Something along the lines of The Phantom Edit, where some dialogue is minimized, might make more sense.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

darkness wrote:
TC wrote: i'd be very interested to see/hear herbert's POV on it, as so much of it differs so greatly from the source material to the point that it might as well be its own creation.
He speaks about it some in the Making of Dune book, and he's featured quite a bit in the EPK. I'll try to dig out the tape and encode sometime soon.
*ahem* is this thing on?

just re-read this thread as i wanted to bitch about there STILL not being a blu of the "frank herbert's dune" miniseries or the follow-up "frank herbert's children of dune". actually, there's an R2 of the latter but not the former for some reason, still nothing in R1. wtf?

TC wrote: just re-read this thread as i wanted to bitch about there STILL not being a blu of the "frank herbert's dune" miniseries or the follow-up "frank herbert's children of dune". actually, there's an R2 of the latter but not the former for some reason, still nothing in R1. wtf?
There's both a German and French blu-ray of the first miniseries. Both are Region free supposedly.
http://www.amazon.de/Dune-Blu-ray/dp/B0 ... KAKR8XB7XF
http://www.amazon.fr/Dune-Blu-ray/dp/B0 ... FK5RDHNB96
Just cut them up like regular chickens

/film wrote:Legendary Entertainment Acquires Rights To Make ‘Dune’ Movie and TV Series

Legendary and the Frank Herbert estate have reached an agreement which includes both the film and television motion picture rights to the classic sci-fi novel Dune. The agreement allows Legendary and Universal Pictures to develop film and television projects based on the franchise for a global audience.

Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

Often referred to as the science fiction version of Lord of the Rings, the book won Hugo and Nebula Awards and is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written.

David Lynch originally brought Frank Herbert’s classic to the big screen in 1984. The film has become a cult favorite in recent years despite the polarized response to the movie, often described as incomprehensible to those who had not read the book series, yet different enough to piss off fans of the source material. Dune has a tremendous legacy and influence on science fiction movies, notably Star Wars and The Matrix.

John Harrison later adapted the book for a 2000 sci-fi channel miniseries. A decade or so ago, Paramount tried to bring the property back to the big screen with director Peter Berg. That filmmaker later dropped out of the project, citing that it wouldn’t be the right film for him. He was replaced with Pierre Morel, but that filmmaker also left the project, and it fell into development hell.

In September, Arrival/Blade Runner 2029 director Denis Villeneuve expressed an interest in directing a remake to Dune. I wonder if he might be involved somehow.

The full press release follows:
LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO FRANK HERBERT’S CLASSIC SCI-FI NOVEL DUNE

Burbank, CA – November 21, 2016 – Legendary and the Frank Herbert estate have reached an agreement granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the beloved novel DUNE, one of the most revered science fiction novels of all time. The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

Dune has long been considered the crown jewel of science fiction properties. Its legacy and influence is witnessed in everything from STAR WARS to THE MATRIX and often referred to as the science fiction version of LORD OF THE RINGS with its sprawling world and multi-dimensional politics.

The agreement was negotiated by Mike Ross and Jen Grazier on behalf of Legendary and Marcy Morris and Barry Tyerman of JTWAMMK on behalf of the Herbert family.
emphasis mine. no, it's not "one" novel, it's (at least) six. i hope they treat it as such, or it's going to have a bad time.

Variety wrote:‘Blade Runner 2049’ Helmer Denis Villeneuve Eyed to Direct ‘Dune’ Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)

Even though he has a film in Oscar contention and another in production, “Blade Runner: 2049” director Denis Villeneuve looks ready to jump into another classic fixture from the sci-fi world.

Sources tell Variety that Villeneuve is in early talks to direct Legendary’s “Dune” reboot for the company. Legendary has not commented on the news.

Prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate for the rights his iconic novel, granting the production entity not only rights to film but also TV-based projects on the sci-fi property.

The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

Set in the distant future, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among competing noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

The novel was also adapted as the 1984 film directed by David Lynch. The film starred Kyle MacLachlan and at the time was thought of as a flop, getting poor reviews and grossing just $30.9 million, but more recently has attained cult status.

It’s unknown if Villeneuve would be involved in any TV-related projects, just that he would direct the first film to come out of this new universe.

The director has already delivered three original projects that have over-performed at the box office while also being critically applauded as award season contenders. His latest, “Arrival,” opened with $23 million at the box office and has already earned $94 million worldwide on a $45 million budget.

Following those successes, he was handpicked by Ridley Scott to help reboot the “Blade Runner” franchise with “Blade Runner: 2049,” which bows next October and stars Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, who reprises his role as Detective Rick Deckard.

well this is an odd development:
DH wrote:“Gump” Scribe To Pen The New “Dune”

Legendary has set veteran “Forrest Gump” scribe Eric Roth to pen Denis Villeneuve’s new film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s “Dune”. Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate late last year to develop films and TV series from the iconic sci-fi property.

[snip synopsis]

Villeneuve (“Arrival,” “Sicario”) is expected to make this his next project once he wraps his commitments to “Blade Runner 2049”. Villeneuve, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter will produce, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Thomas Tull and Kim Herbert will executive produce, and Kevin J Anderson will serve as a creative consultant.

Fandom wrote:‘Dune’ Adaptation Will Be ‘Star Wars for Adults’ Says Director

Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve is tackling Frank Herbert’s novel Dune and has told FANDOM that he aims to make it the Star Wars movie he never saw. Although he admits that making a film that’s different to Star Wars won’t be easy.

“Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it’s going to be a challenge to [tackle] this,” the French-Canadian director says. “The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw. In a way, it’s Star Wars for adults. We’ll see.”

Talk of a new Dune adaptation has been swirling around for a while. The classic science-fantasy novel found its way to the big screen in 1984 via David Lynch. It flopped at the box office on release, and critics didn’t like it. But even earlier than that, Alejandro Jodorowsky had made an attempt to bring it to the screen. A documentary film was released in 2013 chronicling the avant-garde director’s efforts to make it. The work that Jodorowsky put in ended up impacting on Ridley Scott classics Alien and Blade Runner.

Will Villeneuve Channel Jodorowsky?
Jodorowsky’s version is the Dune that never was, but the adaptation that so many fans of the novel would love to see. So will Villeneuve be looking to Jodorowsky’s unmade version for inspiration?

“No,” says Villeneuve bluntly. “Because Jodorowsky is a very unique visionary. He has a very strong, unique vision. I am a total different human being. It would be very presumptuous and arrogant for me to try. I would love to talk to him. I’ve wanted to meet him for a long time. I think he’s a fantastic filmmaker and I would have loved to see his Dune. I think it would be a very singular Jodorowsky movie. Will it have been the vision I have for Dune? Very far away. I mean, I am sure because he is so unique.”

The prospect of a Denis Villeneuve-envisioned Dune is just as enticing, though. And chances are, if Jodorowsky’s version ever made it to the screen it might feel derivative, if we’ve seen its influence in Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner before it – all of which have been extremely influential in their own right.

Will He Tackle More Than the First Novel?
Villeneuve reveals that the plan is to cover the original novel in the film: “The idea is to start from the very first book”.

Frank Herbert’s Dune, a TV mini-series from 2000 also adapted the original novel, and was followed by a sequel mini-series called Frank Herbert’s Children of Dune, which adapted the next two books in the series.

This all begs the question: will Villeneuve be working on more than one movie?

“I could be involved with one or two movies,” he reveals. But this comes with a warning that there’s no guarantee the project will make it all the way through to theatrical release.

“If it happens,” he adds, cautiously. “That’s the thing. Today you’re asking me this question about a project that doesn’t exist yet. I’m used to talking about projects when they’re shot, finished, I’m in the editing room, I’m about to release the movie. Then you talk about something real. Right now, I might in three weeks or two months learn that nobody agrees on a screenplay, it will be with someone else. It can happen. And when the movie will be made? It’s all theory right now.”

It’s been 34 years since a Dune adaptation hit the big screen – we’ll all happily wait a little bit longer if it means we get to see what Denis Villeneuve makes of it.