Re: new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

darkness wrote:The newest trailer doesn't give me much hope. Looks like lots of action, little story. More Transformers than Star Trek. Still, it is a trailer so we'll see.
I agree, but I suspect it'll have as much story as the last one. Trailers are indeed cut to make things look like nonstop action. I am hitting that saturation point though.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I'm sure the Star Trek fanbois have plenty to quibble about, and there were a few things here and there that bugged me, but overall it was really entertaining, so who cares? I'd say it was better than the last Star Trek and Iron Man 3. Well worth seeing in the theater, although we got stuck in the 3rd row due to the damn reserved seating. Argh!

O-dot wrote:Saw it with some coworkers ... Fell asleep for about half an hour midway through. That may have more to do with being the parent of a very active one year old.
I never thought I'd fall asleep in a movie, even a bad one, until I had kids...now it happens with some regularity.

Oh, and still haven't figured out a time to catch this yet, hoping to do so this week.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:I never thought I'd fall asleep in a movie, even a bad one, until I had kids...now it happens with some regularity.
Except for maybe one or two advance screenings when I was reviewing movies in college, it's only happened once before: during Return of the King. I nodded off during what seemed like the 17th of 25 epic battle scenes.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:big d - reserved seating???
Yeah, we went to a fancier newer theater because the showtimes were more convenient. When we bought the tickets they showed us which seats were available on the screen, and the best we could get was 3rd row. I think the rest had already been sold or reserved via Fandango or whatever. Of course a bunch of them were still empty when the movie started, and we had to sit there and crane our necks the whole time. I'll probably cross that theater off the list now. We would've just gone to the Alamo Drafthouse again, but we already had a big dinner and didn't want food with the movie.

Alamo has bottomless $6 popcorn and bottomless $4 soda, that's what we got when we saw this a couple days ago. I found this to be a thinner exercise than the first one, has a broad post 9/11 symbolism that klimov would enjoy but it's none too subtle and seems to merely be a frame to hang action setpieces on. Well executed but didn't have as much heart as the first, I guess.

Finally saw this. What a load of shit. I can't believe I paid $10 to see the same film I saw in 1982, only with shitty writing and more booms. Part of the reason I liked the first reboot so much was they found away to tell an original story while still making it all work within the Trek universe. This film is just a big lazy rehash of Wrath of Khan with a little of the end of Enterprise (with Peter Weller even playing the exact same type of character he did before) thrown in. Except everyone has somehow become an idiot in this film. Every time they redid something from the original film I groaned. There's homage and there's just being too lazy to write anything new. This film is the latter.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Alexhead wrote:bottomless $6 popcorn and bottomless $4 soda
:!: that sounds healthy... :drunk:

Quite want to see this, actually :haw: Star Trek is supposed to be a bastion of traditional liberal values, so hope to hell they haven't shoehorned any neo-lib ideology into it (although that does seem to be par for the course in a Hollywood blockbuster these days...)

I think you'll see Kirk make some decisions regarding defense procedures that Obama isn't making these days, let's put it that way. And while "bottomless" is an option I rarely get a refill. Although I did eat most of that sucker myself.