Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

TrekMovie.com wrote: According to sources, the creative team are still working on how they will officially roll out this new title. The first acknowledgement will likely be made with some kind of visual treatment, either a type treatment for the title or possibly even a teaser poster or image. Indications are that this official roll out should be coming soon
How about a completely black poster with no words on it? Can't get much more dark than that. "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

Official synopsis (which, if you don't want to know anything about the plot, I'll spoiler tag)
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS – Approved Synopsis 11/26/12

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Check out the Japanese version, which has one extra bit at the end that, considering what it's referencing, may indicate
Spock's goin' down. Someone else noted with the "missing man" formation of the flyover ships at the beginning of the trailer, that could well be a funeral. And Quinto himself got in trouble with the geeks a month or so back by indicating he may want to strike out in new directions soon.
[youtube][/youtube]
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

And Quinto himself got in trouble with the geeks a month or so back by indicating he may want to strike out in new directions soon.
I don't understand this thinking in this day and age. It's not like they're churning these films out at a high rate, and people are well used to seeing actors in multiple franchises these days. Hell, wasn't he still on Heroes when the last one came out?

From AICN, a pretty spoiler-free review of the first 9 minutes (OK it does include some descriptions so if you don't want to know a single solitary thing about it, don't read):

Beaks here...

I have seen the first nine minutes of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (which will screen in select theaters beginning December 14th), and I can tell you this for certain: composer Michael Giacchino quotes Khan's theme.

You know the cue: James Horner's blast of french horns that signals the arrival of the hijacked USS Reliant. Here, it's incorporated into a scene that finds Kirk and Bones running for their lives from a pissed-off pack of natives on a planet about to be ravaged by a massive volcano. This occurs after we've been introduced to Benedict Cumberbatch, who turns up at a hospital in London to offer a husband and wife the opportunity to save their child (who appears to be terminally ill). Given the Stardate (2259) and Cumberbatch's deeply anglo appearance, there is no reason to believe he is Khan Noonien Singh. Even if you argue that this is a new timeline, and that Khan could've been roused from suspended animation earlier than 2267, you've still got to deal with the ethnicity issue. This can't be Khan.

So who the hell is Cumberbatch playing? Gary Mitchell? Sybok? The Gorn? I don't know, but it's a big deal. Noel Clarke's character asks Cumberbatch directly, and we get a slow, portentous push-in underscored by a menacing Giacchino cue. Not the Khan cue, however. That comes later.

Did you ever see the "Krusty Gets Kancelled" episode of THE SIMPSONS, where everyone goes nuts trying to solve the mystery of "Gabbo"? I feel like Homer studying the full-page ad exclaiming "Gabbo Is Coming!", determined to unearth the truth while not being presented with nearly enough information to figure it all out. It's silly, but this is what we do. And J.J. Abrams is clearly inviting it: the prologue concludes with Spock stuck in a precarious situation after having informed Kirk that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Seriously. But this is the opening nine minutes. Abrams isn't going to kill Spock this early in the first act of his second STAR TREK movie, right?

So what conclusions can we draw from the STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS prologue? Well, the gang's all back, the Enterprise is lurking underwater on the aforementioned planet (they can't surface for fear of violating the Prime Directive), and the sense of fun Abrams established with the first film is very much in evidence. Obsessive speculation aside, these opening nine minutes are a tremendously effective tease for what will hopefully be one of 2013's most entertaining movies.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays
John Harrison.
Some interesting background/speculation:
In "Space Seed," Harrison was nearly suffocated to death on the Enterprise bridge by unfrozen superman Khan Noonien Singh.

This reminds me of when we learned via press release that Marion Cotillard would be playing Miranda Tate in "The Dark Knight Rises."

It makes me think maybe one of Khan's genetic supermen (perhaps even Khan Noonien Singh Jr.) assumed Harrison's identity to infiltrate and cripple Starfleet.

Alice Eve's role in the movie revealed, curiouser and curiouser...
This Friday, Paramount Pictures will reveal the first nine minutes of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness before select IMAX showings of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Read the full list of participating theaters by clicking here). Today, ComingSoon.net was afforded the rare opportunity of visiting Abrams' Bad Robot Productions and talking with some of the talent behind next summer's much anticipated release. We'll have a lot more from the visit posted soon, but one mystery was officially revealed: Alice Eve's role is that of Carol Marcus.

Marcus, played by Bibi Besch in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, was, in the original timeline, a Federation scientist whose work led to the top-secret "Project Genesis." She had a relationship with James T. Kirk and became mother to his son, David, but the pair ultimately decided that it was best for her to raise the boy alone.

I'm going to be pissed if this is all about Khan. We already did Khan once and quite well. No need to rehash. They didn't go back and do V'ger again for the previous film after all. I'm still holding out hope they go with a fresh new story again instead of trying to redo what's already been done.

darkness wrote:I'm going to be pissed if this is all about Khan. We already did Khan once and quite well. No need to rehash. They didn't go back and do V'ger again for the previous film after all. I'm still holding out hope they go with a fresh new story again instead of trying to redo what's already been done.
yeah, this. khan is a no-win situation. it's the kobayashi maru of plotlines.

I still think they may have figured out a way to have their cake and eat it too, they seem very pleased with whatever it is they've come up with. New trailer up on Quicktime, no idea how to share it but I'm sure it'll be on youtube soon enough. Looks pretty cool, there is a shot similar to the parachute scene in the first one but somebody's cruising through asteroids or ship wreckage in space.