Re: new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

TrekMovie.com wrote:EW Previews Star Trek Comic Con Posters - With First Cast Photos July 17, 2008
by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: ST09 Cast, Star Trek (2009 film) , trackback

Today Star Trek got a whole lot realer. In their Comic Con Preview edition, Entertainment Weekly has a sneak peek at some posters that are going to be given way at Comic Con next week…and for the first time ever we have images of actual cast members from JJ Abrams Star Trek. [MINOR SPOILERS]

Abrams: Sorry
Entertainment Weekly’s Comic Con 2008 edition previews a number of hot upcoming films and in their Star Trek section EW notes that director JJ Abram touted his new Star Trek at last year’s Comic Con and regarding this year EW asks ‘Abrams is bringing …almost nothing?’ Abrams tells the magazine:

Sorry, but hopefully when [fans] eventually do see more, it will be that much more exciting.

Not Nothing–Paramount is bringing new posters–with cast photos!
As reported by TrekMovie previously, even though Star Trek wont have a panel, it will have a presence at the Paramount booth in San Diego. EW reports that this presence will include four posters that form a single larger ‘one sheet’ poster. However, it appears fans will only get one section each so you will need three friends to get the whole effect. TrekMovie has also been told these posters are not the full extent of the Star Trek presence from Paramount.

Here they are
The first official images of Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto), Uhura (Zoë Saldana), and Nero (Eric Bana). By the way, look closely at the eyes.
ewkirk1[1].jpg
ewspock1[2].jpg
ewuhura1[1].jpg
ewnero1[1].jpg
ewall2[2].jpg
Quick thoughts:
  • Note the background colors, red, gold, blue correspond to the original uniform colors for Uhura, Kirk and Spock
  • Nice touch with the reflection of the delta shield logo in the eyes for Kirk, Spock and Uhura. It looks like there is one there for Nero too, but hard to tell.
  • Spock’s shirt looks very close to original TOS
  • As we knew it would, Quinto looks perfect as Spock
  • Pine has the right look of a young, serious, cocky Kirk
  • Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like Starfleet pointy sideburns are still in style
  • Zoe’s Uhura = HOT
  • Nero looks badass, but what is is going on with his ear? He is reportedly a Romulan, did someone chew the tip off?
  • And as TrekMovie.com reported before, no TNG era bumpy headed action on the Romulans…with the new twist of tattoos!…Fascinating
Thank you JJ
This is what we have all be asking for…and lets face it…whining about for so long. So a big thank you to JJ Abrams and to your band of brothers (Lindelof, Orci, Kurtzman, and Burk). And thank you Paramount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

By Garth FranklinMonday, August 11th 2008 12:23am Four months after wrapping filming, a first cut of the J.J. Abrams-directed "Star Trek" was screened for Paramount the other week according to TrekMovie.

Reaction to the first cut went "far beyond expectations" and the film itself was "very impressive" according to several sources. A lot of post-production remains to be done on the film, with ILM's visual effects the biggest area in need of completion.

Abrams is apparently still determined to finish the film in time for Christmas, though with a jaw-dropping 1300+ effects shots to complete it's looking like the delay of the film to May 2009 was prudent.

The first theatrical trailer is apparently already edited, but the effects are not finalized. It's nevetheless expected to be released this Fall, the earliest opportunity being "Eagle Eye" on September 26th.
from darkhorizons.com
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Very glad to see they're bringing Lindelof on board for the sequel, his writing/plotting for LOST continues to impress. The other guys are obviously the team behind the current Trek, but also Fringe and (back in the day) Alias.
'Star Trek' sequel on track
Paramount hires trio to pen screenplay
By TATIANA SIEGEL
Paramount’s 'Star Trek' franchise relaunch bows in May, but the studio already has a sequel in the works.

As Paramount Pictures readies the May 8 release of its "Star Trek" franchise relaunch, the studio is moving forward with a sequel, and has hired Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to pen the screenplay.

J.J. Abrams, who directed and produced the latest chapter, is onboard to produce the follow-up alongside his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk. No decision has been made yet on whether Abrams will return behind the camera for the sequel.

Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof also are receiving producing credit on the sequel.

Story is still in the embryonic stage, but the trio are aiming to deliver their script to the Melrose studio by Christmas for what would likely be a summer 2011 release.

"There's obviously a lot of hubris involved in signing on to write a sequel of a movie that hasn't even come out yet," said Lindelof, co-creator with Abrams of ABC's "Lost" who produced the upcoming "Trek" but did not contribute to Orci and Kurtzman's screenplay. "But we're so excited about the first one that we wanted to proceed."

As for potential storylines, Kurtzman stressed that the writing team will wait to take a cue from fan reaction about which direction to go.

"Obviously we discussed ideas, but we are waiting to see how audiences respond next month," he said. "With a franchise rebirth, the first movie has to be about origin. But with a second, you have the opportunity to explore incredibly exciting things. We'll be ambitious about what we'll do."

Though Orci and Kurtzman have worked together as a writing team for more than 12 years, the duo has worked with Lindelof on only one screenplay: DreamWorks' "Cowboys and Aliens," which they are currently writing together.

Paramount has high hopes for the "Star Trek" relaunch, and is pulling out all the stops on the marketing front. Studio began a full-scale campaign six months before the film's May bow.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=13&cs=1
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Yeah, they catch some flack for that but I've seen enough of Fringe and Alias to guess Transformer's sucky-ness probably relates in no small part to the director. And, you know, it was a movie based on a pretty decent toy line/bad cartoon from our childhood, so it's not like they had dramatic gold to work with coming into the thing. Hell, I'll write a script for Transformers if the money's good :mrgreen:

The aicn guys scored a premiere of the film last night...spoiler free, very positive review below, and below that you've got to read how the presented it...would've been fun to be there!
Hola all. Massawyrm here.

Ho. Ly. Shit. No one was ready for what just happened to us. No one. While some may have guessed and many of us sure had hoped, Paramount’s bait and switch of STAR TREK for WRATH OF KHAN was a stunner. I mean, that was a bold fucking move. You don’t replace WRATH OF KHAN. You just don’t. Not unless the movie you’re replacing it with is pretty god damned strong. And guess what? It is. Holy Christ Crispies in a bucket of milk, was this movie fucking awesome. What’s that thing called…you know, the stuff that’s like awesome sauce only better? Oh yeah, Win. That’s it. Win. STAR TREK is made of that. From beginning to end.

I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t entirely enthused about the reboot. Not that I had a real problem with it, but the Paramount of the past has had a piss-poor history with the franchise. And while I like Abrams a lot, the idea of a “younger, hipper” cast was something of a turn off. The first-adventures-of is usually the kiss of death for a franchise – not a way to truly resurrect it. But here it is, back from the grave of some terrible movies preceded by a couple lifeless and mediocre ones. And the way they bring it back is a stroke of genius.

If you haven’t been spoiled yet, then congrats. I won’t break your streak. All I will say is that the film manages to reboot everything while entirely remaining within the continuity of the original series – and by doing so, actually allows them to move freely within the confines of their new “universe.” The explanation makes more sense than it ever feels like a cop-out, and it caused a number of us old school fans to re-examine the original series through this new perspective. A truly clever concept that, unlike many have postulated, doesn’t actually reference CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER at all.

Now before I go any further, I need to make a public, formal apology to Karl Urban. More than any other aspect of this movie, I trash talked him getting the role of Leonard “Bones” McCoy. A lot. And I’ve been pretty harsh to him in the past. After PATHFINDER and DOOM, I’m pretty sure I threw around the phrase “This Generation’s Marc Singer” more than a few times. And I was wrong. Very wrong. Abrams saw potential in him and got a performance that was so close to the original series that at times he almost out-DeForest-Kelley’s DeForest Kelley. He’s brilliant - absolutely wonderful as the gruff country doctor turned interstellar surgeon.

And he’s not alone. There are so many pitch perfect performances in this that embody the soul of the characters and TREK itself that it is astounding. Quinto IS Spock. He just is. Simon Pegg manages to capture all the fun of Scotty and distills it in his own, hilarious way. And Chris Pine just captures all the swagger, ego and machismo of James T. Kirk. Not the older, aging, soulful Kirk. The 1960’s tight shirt Kirk who never hesitated and was always a step ahead of everyone else. He never apes Shatner. He just personifies everything that was great about that hard living, hard loving, tough as nails captain.

And above all, that’s what sells this film. The painstaking love the film has for the series and its characters. While it can be viewed and enjoyed by the uninitiated in the ways of classic trek, the film borrows famous lines of dialog, hints about encounters and vintage jokes from all over the place to fully place this in the STAR TREK universe. Fans will detect very definite notes of WRATH OF KHAN and YOYAGE HOME, without it ever deliberately ripping off either. Already I’m noticing a lot of folks referencing KHAN as the inspiration as there is a revenge plot layered within it. Yet this never attempts to be truly like KHAN. It wants to be something else. KHAN was about the final days of the starship enterprise (despite its subsequent 4 adventures) – it was about coming to grips with death. This is about coming to grips with life – about seizing your destiny and living up to your potential. It is very much about the crew we all know and love learning to believe in themselves for the first time with the confidence that would get them through another 80-some odd adventures.

The film is tight, explosive and fun, a stark contrast to the previous series. Put together with modern sensibilities, the film doesn’t leave a lot of breathing room for characters to stand around laying out exposition. The pace is fast and frenetic, with the crew always playing catch up to what is going on around them. The action is far crazier than you’ve ever seen in a TREK film or episode, replete with car chases, sky diving, truly evasive maneuvers, starship battles that are a hell of a lot more than two ships staring one another down and pressing buttons, rough and tumble fistfights and shoot outs – all the while maintaining that classic TREK feel, even when doing something you’ve never seen in TREK. Everything just feels right. Organic. Authentic. That’s the word. Authentic. This never feels like a copy. It’s the real deal.

And there’s a good chance it is going to blow your fucking doors off. I cannot express how happy I am with this film. Every moment worked for me – it felt like there wasn’t so much as a hair out of place. I LOVED it. My non Trek-loving wife LOVED it. And the energy in the room was incredible. When I walked out, I was saying it was as good as WRATH OF KHAN. Now that I’ve had some time to settle and reflect, I’m not going to quite make that claim. It’s not as great as KHAN. But it is a short hairs breath away from being that good. It is certainly better than any other TREK movie to date that doesn’t have the word WRATH in the title. Solid, fun and a pure joy to watch, this is the summer blockbuster to beat. A few more films like this and we’ll have a summer like last year.

Until next time friends, smoke ‘em if ya got ‘em.

Massawyrm
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40682
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here… Holy crap what a night.

I started it expecting to see 10 minutes of JJ Abrams’ TREK with the full feature of a pristine WRATH OF KHAN and ended it by watching about 5 minutes of WRATH OF KHAN (the opening credits) with the full feature of a pristine STAR TREK.

I would give all the credit here to Harry, and he certainly deserves some credit for kicking this idea off a while back, but from my understanding Paramount and Tim League of the Alamo snuck this one under his radar, too.

Tim League took the stage, beer in hand, of course, and introduced us to Harry who then introduced us to Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof who said that the premiere in Australia was happening within hours of that moment, so JJ couldn’t be there, despite his desire to spend the night in Austin watching Khan with a room full of real Trek fans. They also talked about Khan being their main inspiration when preparing this film, hoping they made a movie half as good as that flick.

Then the movie started, James Horner’s fantastic title music played over the credits, some audience members snickering at “and introducing Kirstie Alley” (I think she’s actually really good as the Vulcan, Saavik, in Khan) and then the first scene. The print was beautiful and then lines started appearing on the print. Booooo… then cuts… then it skipped frame, running for about 10 seconds split in half… up is down, down is up and all that before locking up, the frame burning.

Tim jumped on stage to say he’s going up to fix the problem and called for Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof to kill some time. They show up, Lindelof going, “Okay… so, you wanna know what the monster is?” Clearly talking about the black smoke monster on LOST. People started shouting out LOST things (“I want to know what the statue is!” etc etc) and suddenly a man shows up on stage wearing a trench coat and a hat.

This man is holding a film can in his hand. He removes the hat and right there is Leonard Nimoy.

The audience went ballistic, standing ovation for the man, the girl behind me losing her shit. He takes a mic asking what’s going on here… why would you only show 10 minutes of the new movie? “JJ made a good movie, why only show 10 minutes of it?” Then he took a vote. Who wants to only see 10 minutes of the movie? Crickets. Who wants to see the whole thing? Thunderous applause .

And within seconds Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof and Nimoy are off the stage (not before Nimoy could throw out one more Vulcan salute, of course) and JJ Abrams’ Star Trek plays.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40675