New Spinal Tap!

15 minutes, but it's better than nothing!

from http://www.imdb.com:
The seminal spoof rock band Spinal Tap is due to make a reunion appearance at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York tonight (Wednesday) with a new 15-minute film describing their lives since the original This Is Spinal Tap mockumentary was released in 1984. The Associated Press reported on Tuesday that the original band members, guitarist Nigel Tufnel (played by Christopher Guest), singer David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean) and bassist Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer), are also due to perform at Wembley Stadium in England as part of the Live Earth concerts on July 7. In an interview, director Marty DeBergi (Rob Reiner) said, "They're not that environmentally conscious, but they've heard of global warming. ... Nigel thought it was just because he was wearing too much clothing that if he just took his jacket off it would be cooler."
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: New Spinal Tap!

oh no...
Variety wrote: ‘This Is Spinal Tap’ Sequel in the Works With Rob Reiner, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer

The band is getting back together.

A sequel is in the works to the 1984 rock mockumentary “This Is Spinal Tap,” with director Rob Reiner returning alongside stars Michael McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer.

The movie package will launch sales at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival. It will be released on March, 19 2024, tied to the 40th anniversary of the original. The sequel will be in the style of Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Waltz,” the legendary concert documentary that followed the farewell tour of the Canadian American rock group The Band. “Spinal Tap 2” will also feature real-life musicians in the film. No names have been revealed yet, but it will likely depend on the artists’ touring schedules.

“This Is Spinal Tap,” which debuted on March 2, 1984, chronicled the lives of the fictional English heavy metal band members — played by McKean, Guest and Shearer — during their American tour. Reiner portrayed documentarian Martin “Marty” Di Bergi, and the film marked his directorial debut. McKean played David St. Hubbins, the lead singer and rhythm guitarist; Guest was Nigel Tufnel, the lead guitarist; and Shearer portrayed Derek Smalls, the band’s bassist. Most of the dialogue was improvised by the cast, and the movie was so well received upon its release that some viewers thought Spinal Tap was a real band.

The movie garnered critical acclaim, but once it hit home media, it developed a major cult following. In 2002, it was recognized as “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant,” and inducted into the U.S. National Film Registry.
as much as reiner has lost his goddamn mind, i have zero hope this will be good. i would love to be surprised.

Re: New Spinal Tap!

Every time they trod Spinal Tap back out it's a paler imitation of itself. The '92 revival was good, but then they kept coming back now and again and each time it was like a picture that was being photocopied from a photocopy and fading more and more. They don't seem to have quite the quick wit or improv skills any more. But then they haven't worked with Rob Reiner since the original film, so maybe he can do something more interesting with them.
Just cut them up like regular chickens