Re: Recent movie playlist

Alexhead wrote:My take on this compared to You're The Worst was that, despite their supposed loutishness, the leads on YTW are actually likeable, whereas the couple on Married both seemed worthy of repeated face punchings in any given scene.
yeah, this. plus, poor-man's seth meyers.

Yeah he's not very likeable, seemingly driven to cheat on his wife at every turn instead of just divorcing her and starting over. I do like Judy Greer but her character was a sex withholding bitch based on the episodes I saw, pretty much every guy I know has dated one of those and it's the least humorous thing we can imagine.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The Mirror (Zerkalo)--I guess one of those top film all time lists has this mid-70s Tarkovsky at No. 19, I can buy it. Unlike a few of his other more indulgent films run-time wise, this one comes in under 2 hours and I think it's a wise choice--it's a heavily fractured narrative, if you even want to call it 'narrative,' with a poet drifting through various memories of his life (often from the first person perspective, so while we hear his voice we do not see him onscreen much), fairly abstract but also hypnotic more often than not. The kind of exercise that can get tedious if it goes on for too long, but in this case the timing is about perfect. Some consistently gorgeous cinematography throughout, I had to imagine Lynch has seen this and perhaps borrowed more than one idea--it actually makes me want to watch Inland Empire again, something I never thought I'd say, as there may be something approaching a game plan going on there at least as far as Lynch heavily nodding to some eastern European influences that I haven't given much thought to until now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

[youtube][/youtube]

About the best version available you're going to find. Now I am not promising fireworks here, you need to be in the right mood I'd say.

Although I must ask our resident snobs why I'm supposed to love Tokyo Story so much. I have now fallen asleep twice while trying to watch it. In the middle of the day.

Tomorrowland - There's a really good movie lurking in here somewhere, but it's lost in some messy storytelling and a plotting plot. I feel like it's just a good editor away from being a success.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Inside Out is great! One of Pixar's best. And yes, it's sad, but it's very well done. It's perfect for older kids, my 13 year old is basically its target audience and she loves it to death. Also, as usual when they're hitting on all cylinders, very funny and very well animated. Plus Kyle Maclachlan.

Tomorrowland was never going to be the summer smash they were hoping it would be, but I was very pleasantly surprised by its smarts and heart. Liked it quite a bit.

Yeah, Inside Out was very well done, no doubt. When I first read about it, I thought the overall concept was far fetched and didn't see how that would make a good movie, but they pulled it off really, really well. They just know how to tug on the heartstrings full force with these fading childhood themes. My 8-year-old is oblivious to that stuff though. He just likes the angry guys going off.

The Witch--best horror movie of the year has now been released. I'm not sure if there's a large witch subgenre of horror, but if so this immediately marches to the head of the class. I wrote up a spoiler free review for the site I'm working with nowadays if interested: http://podcastingthemsoftly.com/2016/02 ... im-fuglei/

The Imitation Game - i know i'm late to the party on this one, but holy fuck was this film great. i loved it. thought it was fantastic. really makes me want to read the book. incredible that he committed suicide a few years later. also a stark reminder that we are not that far away from 49,000 people being arrested for being gay.