Re: Recent movie playlist

The Guest--this was done by the same pair that did You're Next, a nifty if ultimately small home invasion thriller. This has elements of many thrillers you've seen before, but is anchored by a mezmerizing central performance by the guy who plays said guest (I guess he's on Downton Abbey but fuck if I watch that so he's new to me), he's note perfect throughout. It builds up to a fairly baroque ending that seemed a hair over the top from a production design standpoint but it's fun to look at and I felt the film had more or less earned it, then it ends on a completely meta wink at/middle finger to the audience that I still haven't decided if I like or not. In any case, worth your time, it's a fun ride.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I Origins - recorded this as it read like maybe a sci-fi movie starring michael pitt. i had never heard of it. was actually a pretty interesting and compelling film. had some turns that i did NOT see coming. left a few ideas on the table (a little bit of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks then only running with what did, forgetting about everything else), but it's not a strike against it. very ambiguous ending, but suits the film. wouldn't go out of your way to see it, but if you happen to run across it, recommended.

A Dance Of Reality - after seeing jodorowsky's dune, i became curious about his actual movies. have three on blu now, decided to start with this one. fucking odd. two explicit pissing scenes for some reason. i guess the story is autobiographical via decades of hindsight? so... young AJ spent a lot of kind of inappropriate time with his naked mother, particularly covered head to toe in black shoe polish? yet somehow was able to have children, most of whom star in this film? the guy that plays his father is awesome for sure. it was an interesting film, just really odd. probably could have lived with seeing this once.

Bad Words - a jason bateman vehicle. he directed/starred in this. kathryn hahn is the female lead. the kid that's in it is apparently playing mowgli in the upcoming jungle book adaptation. anyway, was pretty amusing, far more so than i anticipated. if it's on, give it a watch, but i wouldn't go out of your way to see it. oh, the bad guy in it is bookman from seinfeld. like i said, pretty amusing.

Foxcatcher: Decent effort; Tatum weirdly gives the best performance of the three principals (Oscar nomination notwithstanding, Carell came across as Michael Scott doing an unfunny imitation, i.e., what happens in every other episode of The Office). But it's a vintage example of "much ado." I wasn't entirely clear why this "true story" needed its own uber-serious piece of awards bait, or what I was supposed to take from it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

The Jim Gaffigan Show - when i heard about this, i was apprehensive, as his comedy is hit & miss for me. i like him in interviews, seems like a funny guy, but sometimes his whisper thing is a bit much. but, started plowing through the debut season last night and couldn't stop. holy crap is this show funny. absolutely recommend watching, even though it's weird being on the ABC family channel.

I liked Bad Words and Foxcatcher but generally agree with your takes, neither exactly essential, Tatum does his best work when playing a dumbass, etc.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I watched Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie yesterday, which I didn't even realize existed. It was so painfully awful it's sad to see the depths Smith will sink to these days to try to milk a little old life out of his past glories. The whole thing was a bigger in-joke than J&B Strike back, but with less effort. I'm pretty sure he shitted out the script for this on the crapper one afternoon. I guess this is something he traveled around with doing Q&A's like Red State. As I said elsewhere, you have to wonder how long he can keep up making money at that as most college kids today would say "Kevin who?" Not to mention the stupid prices he charges to see him.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

my second jodorowsky film - the holy mountain. what in the actual fuck is happening here? this guy is a beautiful, insane artist. i have no idea what the hell i watched but i couldn't look away. i think this is absolutely the most '70's movie i've ever seen. they were tripping so hard making this that i wanted orange juice.

Pixels - Whomever wrote this film apparently thought everyone would have such a hard-on for '80s nostalgia that they'd just be thrilled to see '80s video games with "modern" technology and not notice the lack of a much of a story. This is pretty much the same as every Sandler film - man-child grows up to save the day/get the girl. Also, Dan Aykroyd, please stop flushing all the goodwill from your early film career down the toilet by showing up in shitty films (did you learn nothing from Crossroads?).
Just cut them up like regular chickens

My take on this compared to You're The Worst was that, despite their supposed loutishness, the leads on YTW are actually likeable, whereas the couple on Married both seemed worthy of repeated face punchings in any given scene.