Re: Recent movie playlist

Wind River - pretty well done, enjoyable crime/mystery/drama film. the end is crazy. problem is, i was haunted the whole time by the omen of "based on true events" hanging over it. the story is great as a movie, pretty fucking terrible (read: upsetting/depressing) that it's a true story. so "enjoyable" is maybe not the right word. but recommended viewing.

It Comes At Night - very atmospheric, tense drama/horror. Great acting all around and absolutely masterfully shot. Lacked in some aspects and (can't believe I'm saying this in a world where 99% of films are over two hours long) could probably have benefited from being just 10-15 minutes longer. But still very enjoyable.

The Discovery - robert redford, jason segal, rooney mara, fat damon (jesse plemons). netflix original. synopsis sounded interested. it actually was a pretty interesting premise. well-acted. just, missing something at the end of the day. beautiful location, people acting their asses off, a nice sci-fi-ish premise, but ultimately forgettable, which is not something one should be saying about such an idea. robert redford discovers proof of life after death. he measured some brainwaves or something. this ultimately causes 4 million people to commit suicide over the next two years. then he figures out a way to record what is happening to them and things go wrong. you could certainly do worse with just under two hours of your life, but i wanted more from it.

_Marcus_ wrote:It Comes At Night - very atmospheric, tense drama/horror. Great acting all around and absolutely masterfully shot. Lacked in some aspects and (can't believe I'm saying this in a world where 99% of films are over two hours long) could probably have benefited from being just 10-15 minutes longer. But still very enjoyable.
I thought from a technique standpoint it was really good, but ultimately just kind of made me depressed. i couldn't put it on my best of list for that reason.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Captain America: Civil War.
For a movie that wanted to tackle the Civil War arc, it sure was VERY short on set-up. This should have been an arc that spanned several movies, not just one. And the way they introduced new heros into the Avengers plot was just lazy. A fun but completely forgettable flick. Oh - and they did the DC thing and brought in dead parents as a plot device?? Come on.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
Liked the first one a whole lot better, but the high points of this one were better than the first. The design of the Guardians universe is just breathtaking though.

_Marcus_ wrote:Captain America: Civil War. Oh - and they did the DC thing and brought in dead parents as a plot device?? Come on.
To be fair, Howard Stark was introduced clear back in Iron Man and played a role in the first two Iron Man films, the first Captain America, Ant-Man and Agent Carter. Tony's relationship to his father has been an important part of the series from the start, so it's not like they just pulled a Martha out of their ass.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

The Work - amazing documentary on a four day group-therapy session at Folsom prison, with both inmates and civilians present.

Dirty Money - The documentary series in six parts on Netflix, exploring six cases of, well, dirty money. Needs to be seen.

_Marcus_ wrote:Dirty Money - The documentary series in six parts on Netflix, exploring six cases of, well, dirty money. Needs to be seen.
I watched this one Friday. Excellent stuff. Not that we really needed to be told corporations are corrupt.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:Dirty Money - The documentary series in six parts on Netflix, exploring six cases of, well, dirty money. Needs to be seen.
I watched this one Friday. Excellent stuff. Not that we really needed to be told corporations are corrupt.
Yeah, we already knew that. But I was impressed with how "personal" each of the six episodes felt. Especially the one with Scott Tucker. How he really wanted to be looked upon as the victim, but in reality his business ruined lives.

Coincidentally, we stumbled anew the other day across Shandling's episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. It must've been filmed right before he died.

What a loss. The Larry Sanders Show was my favorite program of the '90s.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Terrible loss, especially since he really seemed to find himself and come to peace with his demons the last few years of his life.

Funniest bit in the whole documentary - Kevin Nealon at the Shandling memorial, joking about how he now has to live with his mom forever.

The Terror

Ten part miniseries based on the book by the same name, and the real life events of the two ships The Erebus and The Terror, disappearing in the arctic (although both ships were actually discovered in 2014 and 2016) and what might have happened. Fantastic stuff so far, five episodes in. Especially fine cinematography and some solid performances all around. They really capture the extreme cold, isolation and (duh) terror. Try to ignore the fact that Ridley Scott exec produced it, it's a fine watch. It's like if someone crossed The Thing, Alien and Master and Commander, I guess.

The Ritual - watched this based on comments from people that hereditary completes a loose "trilogy" of the witch, the ritual, and hereditary. while i don't see the connection between the ritual and the other two, i supposed they are all in the same sort of slow-burn, based in reality ritual magick films. it was certainly entertaining and took an unexpected turn. would have been creepier for me if
there was no actual giant god-monster, but it was very cool looking and creepy as fuck design.
. worth a watch, but not really on the same level as the other two for me.