Re: Recent movie playlist

We saw Serenity again at the Alamo Drafthouse last weekend (they did a special screening in honor of Ron Glass). It was interesting to compare that movie to Rogue One after just seeing it a few weeks prior. Overall, I have to say that I think Serenity is a much more successful film.

- It introduces the characters and setting from the TV show smoothly for people that hadn't seen the show (I saw Serenity in the theater originally before seeing the series).
- It really fleshes out the characters, their personalities, and their motivations much better than Rogue One, and you care about the characters when they (spoiler!) die.
- It tells a great self-contained story within the 2-hour film that stands alone from the show.
- Great balance of tight scenes with a few characters to full-on spaceship battles. Good pacing throughout.

The best parts of Rogue One were when they recreated the feel of the first movie note-for-note at the end. It might seem arbitrary to compare these two particular films, other than the fact that they are both sci-fi and I saw them in close proximity, but it made me appreciate that much more how good Serenity was.

big d note wrote:We saw Serenity again at the Alamo Drafthouse last weekend (they did a special screening in honor of Ron Glass). It was interesting to compare that movie to Rogue One after just seeing it a few weeks prior. Overall, I have to say that I think Serenity is a much more successful film.

- It introduces the characters and setting from the TV show smoothly for people that hadn't seen the show (I saw Serenity in the theater originally before seeing the series).
- It really fleshes out the characters, their personalities, and their motivations much better than Rogue One, and you care about the characters when they (spoiler!) die.
- It tells a great self-contained story within the 2-hour film that stands alone from the show.
- Great balance of tight scenes with a few characters to full-on spaceship battles. Good pacing throughout.

The best parts of Rogue One were when they recreated the feel of the first movie note-for-note at the end. It might seem arbitrary to compare these two particular films, other than the fact that they are both sci-fi and I saw them in close proximity, but it made me appreciate that much more how good Serenity was.
Joss would have killed it on Rogue One. But he was born to write this stuff. Sorry we missed that screening! RIP Ron.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It seems like many of the arthouse titles of note haven't stayed in the theaters long. Wife and I finally had an afternoon off a couple weeks back and wanted to catch a flick. Moonlight, Loving, and Nocturnal Animals are high on our list, and all three had left town already. (Never fear, the Blu-rays are out in a month or two.)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Passengers - decent flick, would probably watch again (i mean, jen lawrence is a perfect woman). but i was left with questions:
so, i guess the ipad over the hole in the ship secured with a fire extinguisher was a permanent solution? also, that shot of their forest at the end - there were chickens in the foreground. where the hell did they get chickens? and i guess we're supposed to feel bad for these two models? sounds fucking great to me. they could have started a whole lannister-esque bloodline. and i guess she really backed off of her "IT'S MURDER" stance very quickly once she faced what being alone up there would be.

The Accountant - this was way more fun than i thought it would be. parts of it are affleck does john wick. the parts that aren't are pretty hard-hitting and an honest portrayal of asberger's/autism. recommended. also, i covet his trailer (and its contents).

I thought Spotlight was a snore, quite frankly. Don't Breathe and Get Out are both great. Never did see The Accountant.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It Comes At Night--relentlessly grim treatise on family and trust. Great use of dream sequences, nicely shot, primary location is a house with very specifically unmoored geography, works well. If you need to get your bleak on, this one's here for you.

1922 - not familiar with the story, but this film was pretty effective. right up until the last (completely unnecessary) scene, which kind of ruined the rest of the film for me. typical king.

Gerald's Game - again, not familiar with the story, but this was a much more effective film for me than 1922. recommended. also, don't trust the synopsis, uncomfortable S&M/rape fantasy play lasts about a minute, max, and there is no nudity. lots of king staples here (person chained to a bed, creepy dog, mental breakdown/visions, childhood trauma of a sexual nature, etc.) but enough newness to warrant a viewing. well done.

TC wrote:1922 - not familiar with the story, but this film was pretty effective. right up until the last (completely unnecessary) scene, which kind of ruined the rest of the film for me. typical king.
Is this the one that Mike Patton wrote the music for?

_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:1922 - not familiar with the story, but this film was pretty effective. right up until the last (completely unnecessary) scene, which kind of ruined the rest of the film for me. typical king.
Is this the one that Mike Patton wrote the music for?
apparently - had no idea, just looked it up. i would have paid more attention. it was unnoticeable.

Atomic Blonde - had high expectations due to everyone saying this is "the female john wick". too bad the script didn't agree with this. where JW was credit to credit action, this had a few great action scenes with A LOT of very slow "plot". it was more like the female james bond. if it had been all action, it would have been amazing. worth watching to see charlize kick ass i guess, but don't expect much.

TC wrote:Atomic Blonde - had high expectations due to everyone saying this is "the female john wick". too bad the script didn't agree with this. where JW was credit to credit action, this had a few great action scenes with A LOT of very slow "plot". it was more like the female james bond. if it had been all action, it would have been amazing. worth watching to see charlize kick ass i guess, but don't expect much.
Yeah, I caught that one at the dollar show and that was a great setting for it. The complicated double-triple-crossing plot was a mess and drug the whole thing down. But Charlize was good. My wife had high hopes due to the woman kicking ass angle, but was really disappointed by the rest of the movie.

Wormwood - Netflix limited series (6 hour-long episodes). docudrama (meaning, mostly featuring interviews with actual people involved, some archival footage, some re-enactments) about the death of frank olsen and MKULTRA. highly recommended if you're remotely interested. first thing i've seen that shines enough light on MKU that it isn't some shapeless boogeyman. actually left me with a couple questions i didn't have when i started it, and i'm a huge MKU/conspiracy guy in general.

Personal Shopper - this was not what i expected the film to be based on the title. at all. was actually a very cool film, quite liked it, but i don't really understand the implications at the end. or i do, and they were ill advised at best. if "that's it", i'm really fucking annoyed at the bait & switch. but worth a watch.

Brick - finally got around to seeing this after how great TLJ was. damn was this great too. took a while to catch onto the manner of speaking - it's very '50's, mike hammer-ish - and i'm pretty sure i still missed some stuff. need to watch it again. but really fun. rian's got another one i need to see too.