Mulholland Drive theories (long)

got pointed here today. it's an amazing demonstration of time spent deconstructing a great film. while i don't agree with all his points, i have to say that it's the most well-thought out theory i've seen on the film. i hate to rip from their site, but i want to be sure i don't lose this due to that site disappearing, etc. i have already emailed Allen to ask his permission, and will remove this if he denies me.

at any rate, here is the entire theory of his, along with a second page of reader comments that i feel share some very good insights as well.

hope you enjoy. and, i hope to complete my MD theory over the next couple of weeks. then we can all compare and contrast and really hash it out. 8) this is the official Mulholland Drive Theories® thread.
Allen B. Ruch, for themodernword.com wrote:Introduction
I realize that it's unusual for The Modern Word to be reviewing a movie; but for David Lynch's Mulholland Drive I'll make a happy exception. A film noir "open work," Mulholland Drive is rich in textural density, invites multiple readings, rewards repeated viewings, and contains frequent allusions to itself, previous Lynch films, and countless other classics of cinema. Indeed, Mulholland Drive shares such a natural kinship with the works featured on this site that I feel obligated to feature it. Oh yes, it is my duty.
Of course, this may be my flimsy rationale for publicly airing my latest obsession -- from the moment I first saw Mulholland Drive in the theaters, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Like most people, my first reaction was a stunned sense of bafflement. While I loved certain parts of the film, and thought it was stylistically brilliant, I was afraid that maybe this time Lynch had finally missed the last exit ramp on the Lost Highway and would never be seen again. But still, I just couldn't get Mulholland Drive out of my head. Its images remained fixed in my imagination, Badalamenti's music haunted me at random moments, and its characters dropped by to visit my dreams. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that anything this compelling couldn't be random or pointlessly surreal; only a puzzle awaiting a solution can engage one's attention for so long. So taking that as a challenge, I set about trying to figure out whether Mulholland Drive made sense, or whether Lynch was just nutty. I began discussing it incessantly (some would say neurotically) with my friends, trading theories across the Internet, and matching my theories against a second viewing, this time in the proper sobriety of a Sunday afternoon. As soon as the DVD was released, I bought a copy and watched it again, and the next day I was back on the Internet. (Just think, we cranks used to be confined to writing letters to newspapers!) I was surprised by Ebert's admission that even after going through it frame-by-frame at the University of Colorado, he was still perplexed. I was also unhappy with Salon.com's explication, which did a lot of good work, but was still incomplete. So, rapidly approaching the limits of geek obsession, I went through the film frame-by-frame myself, scribbling down notes and finally pulling together my various ideas into a unified interpretation. Of course, being abnormally immersed in postmodern literature has given me a somewhat biased perspective, and I couldn't prevent comparisons to Finnegans Wake, Pynchon, etc. from creeping in, even if I tried. (And, well, I didn't try. Lynch is one of my favorite filmmakers, and if I had the time, I would add him to the Libyrinth in a heartbeat.) So the following essay is bit of a pop-academic hybrid, a combination of film review, detailed explication, thematic analysis, and fanboy rant. I nevertheless offer it in the hope that it may assist some people who remain baffled, reinforce the theories of other obsessed devotees, and hopefully introduce a few ideas of my own into the general conversation. While I make no claim to having the single correct interpretation of the film, I do believe that I offer a model that works; and that's reason enough to throw my hat into the ring.
Of course, if you have yet to see the film, stop right here: it is impossible to discuss Mulholland Drive without spoiling the plot. And even more importantly, the film should be seen the first time with little or no expectations.

Overview
Mulholland Drive is a puzzle-box of a movie, one that presents hallucination and reality as equal and indistinguishable partners. Set in an overly-ripe Los Angeles, saturated with erotic colors and dark with oblique menace, the film glides through a dreamy landscape where the hyper-real is in constant collision with the fantastic. Identities shift and merge, false trails are projected and abandoned, and the viewer's perception is always hostage to the illusions of the characters. Like the contents of the enigmatic blue box at the center of the film, Lynch allows the logical core of Mulholland Drive to remain locked away behind a changing façade of smooth, cool surfaces. Submerged beneath the emotional reality of the characters, we perceive some sort of coherent sense; but reason alone is not enough to understand exactly what's going on. The film is a dream, an illusion, but not in the usual, cheap sense of the term -- it's a Möbius strip, an Escher painting, a page from Finnegans Wake; it defies waking logic, and yet appears remarkably complete and seamless.
In fact, I think that Finnegans Wake is a very useful point of comparison. Joyce's intentions in writing the Wake were to capture a dream-like sense of the reality beneath wake-a-day logic, where every person and object is invested with multiple layers of meaning. Identities shift, merge and replicate, and the "story" is revealed in successive spirals of allusive and elusive stratification. While it would be groundless to suggest that Lynch was inspired by Joyce, they certainly share a similar aesthetic, and Mulholland Drive contains many cinematic analogs to the literary techniques pioneered in the Wake. The two works even share a similar conceit -- both take place in the dreaming subconscious of a single protagonist. Moreover, both protagonists have populated their world with archetypes drawn from people they know, and both dreams are haunted by a sense of primordial guilt and a longing for a prelapsarian state of blissful unity.
Also like Finnegans Wake, its layers and convolutions make Mulholland Drive a bit tricky to explain. In order to illuminate the film, a critic must first untangle it into several strands. Hopefully the reader will follow each until the end, where an intuitive leap may be required to recombine them back into a whole. To help, I've broken this essay down into five sections. In the first, I detail the basic story that serves as the foundation for the film's successive iterations. While this "plot" is revealed in the final third of the movie, it's never set forth in a linear fashion, and so I'll begin with its untwisted chronology. This is followed by the "illusory" Betty/Rita narrative, which may be seen as a fantastic elaboration of the base story. Next comes the "real" Diane/Camilla narrative, in which the base story will be revisited in the non-linear form as presented by Lynch. Following this, I include a section exploring some of the central mysteries of the film, such as the blue box and Club Silencio. And finally, as a postscript I list a few "dangling threads," or parts of the movie that still leave me perplexed.

The Base Story (Linear chronology)
Diane Selwyn is a somewhat confused but ostensibly nice girl from Deep Rivers, Ontario, who may possibly have some serious psychological problems. After winning a jitterbug competition, she becomes interested in acting. The death of her Aunt Ruth leaves her with enough money to travel to Los Angeles, where she takes up residence in a seedy bungalow complex called Sierra Bonita.
She auditions for the starring role in "The Silvia North Story," directed by Bob Brooker. Unfortunately she loses the part to a woman named Camilla Rhodes. Though she's filled with jealousy (tinged by more than a little bit of denial), she is very attracted to Camilla, and the two begin a lesbian affair. As Camilla's star rises, she secures occasional small roles for Diane in her films. By now, Diane has fallen utterly in love with Camilla, although her emotions are complicated by envy and perhaps some darker feelings -- there is a part of Diane that wants to consume the object of her desire. (Their names play upon several literary allusions as well, with the virginal huntress of the moon staking the lesbian vampire Camilla as her prey.) Camilla is no angel either, and Diane is not the only lover she's taken in her rise to fame. It's obvious she uses her sex appeal to get ahead.
Events take a dramatic shift when Camilla falls in love with a recently divorced director named Adam Kesher, who's making a film featuring both Camilla and Diane. Camilla makes an attempt to break off her affair with Diane, who throws her out of her apartment in a rage. Still, things are not as simple as a change in affections. For one thing, Adam and Camilla's relationship is not without its kinky side, and they seem to enjoy taunting Diane. While they might be trying to lure her into a lopsided ménage-à-trois, Diane remains obsessed with Camilla, who still retains some affection and tenderness for her old lover. Returning to Sierra Bonita, she tries to explain herself to Diane, but she's rebuffed, and Diane masturbates desperately as the room grows blurry. Still, Camilla tries to reach out, and she begs Diane to come to a glamorous party at Adam's house. She then surprises Diane by intercepting her limo on Mulholland Drive, leading her to the party through a romantic shortcut in the woods. Here, Diane encounters some intriguing people, including a mysterious Italian (played by Angelo Badalamenti), a man in a cowboy hat (who may have been sent to check up on her earlier in the evening), and a blonde starlet who obviously has a "thing" with Camilla as well. She also meets Adam's mother Coco, who immediately grasps the situation, and offers Diane a condescending sort of pity. After Diane nervously explains her experiences in Hollywood and her "professional" relationship with Camilla, Coco's knowing "I see" and consoling hand-pat are devastating. It's obvious that Diane's seen as a nobody, a pathetic loser suffering from unrequited love and worthy only of pity. When Adam and Camilla have a laughing fit trying to announce their engagement, Diane's humiliation is complete.
Consumed by rage and jealousy, the increasingly unstable Diane decides to have Camilla killed. She meets Joe, a scruffy-looking hit man at Winkie's Diner, where a waitress named Betty serves her coffee and a strange young man glances at her from the cash register. Sitting in the harsh glare under the window, Diane seals the deal and orders her lover's execution, handing the hit man Camilla's headshot photo and a wrinkled stack of hundreds. He informs her that he'll leave behind a sign when he's completed his task -- a blue key. She naïvely asks what the key opens, and receives only harsh, mocking laughter in return.
Soon after, the hit takes place, and the blue key is left behind on Diane's coffee table. Plunged into a spiral of guilt and fear, Diane sinks further into depression, and learns from a neighbor that a pair of detectives are seeking her for questioning. Suffering from hallucinations of her murdered lover, she sits on the couch and stares at the blue key, red-eyed and trembling. Suddenly a knock on the door triggers her repressed guilt and despair, and she has a psychotic break. Overcome by a vision of her parents convulsed in shrill laughter and flailing at her with clawing hands, she runs screaming into the bedroom. Falling to the bed, she pulls a gun from a drawer and shoots herself in the mouth. There, sprawled on the bed, her body is left to decompose.

The "Fantasy" -- the Betty/Rita Narrative
The above base story forms the palimpsest for an entire secondary narrative, an alternate version of reality created by Diane during her final days of despair. This self-generated world provides Diane with an escape into wish fulfillment, in which all her desires are realized and events beyond her "waking" control are given overwrought explanations. Although presented by Lynch as a fluid and coherent narrative, I don't believe it takes place at any single instant in Diane's life, as would a simple dream or fantasy. It is rather a conglomeration of desires and projections, a parallel interior world fueled by Diane's possible schizophrenia and advanced during moments when she "disconnects" from the real world. (Her grief-stricken masturbation, her nearly-comotose states of depressed sleep, and of course when she confronts the blue key in the moments before her suicide.) Nor does Lynch present it cinematically as a traditional dream sequence. It exists as an entity in itself, and seamlessly penetrates Diane's "real" narrative at several junctions which function on an emotional level outside of logic, merging the two sides of the Möbius strip into one. Having said all that, for the sake of simplicity I will continue to label the Betty/Rita narrative as a "fantasy," which scans marginally better than "possibly schizophrenic parallel interior world."
Although it takes much of its inspiration from Hollywood movies in terms of tone and plot structure (Diane seems to favor film noir, idealized 50's classics, and crime dramas from The Godfather to Pulp Fiction), the Betty/Rita narrative draws most of its raw material from Diane's "real" life. Important people are invested with magnified significance, casual figures are revealed as shadowy operators, locations resonate at higher energy levels, and props such as espresso cups, address books and headshots reappear in an altered state. Perhaps the best cinematic precursor to this is The Wizard of Oz, where Dorothy fills Oz with people and objects drawn from her own daily experiences and wishful imaginings. (It may be useful to recall that Lynch's Wild at Heart used The Wizard of Oz as a loose framework.) But Diane is no Dorothy; despite the generally self-rewarding nature of her fantasy, she can never escape the twin horrors of what she has done and what she has lost. This sense of evaded reality lurks at the very core of her delusion, exerting its dark gravity as a force of disintegration, always pushing the illusion towards a revelatory unmasking. At two related points this force acquires physical manifestation -- the Club Silencio, and the mysterious blue box. Both forms fluoresce with multiple layers of meaning, and will be discussed later in greater detail.

The movie opens with a surreal jitterbug sequence in which we see a glowing young Diane flanked by a smiling old couple, presumably her parents. She is surely a model teen, and obviously much loved. After a slow pan across what will later be revealed as Diane's death-bed, the movie proper begins. We enter her hallucination on a cloud of brooding music, gliding over Mulholland Drive -- the location where Camilla secretly met Diane before forever crushing her hopes. There a black limo pulls to a stop, and two assassins are about to shoot their passenger, a lovely brunette. (That this woman is Camilla is hidden from us until later in the movie, when we enter the "real" world.) Although we are now in the fantasy narrative, we have no way of knowing so -- Lynch offers none of the standard cinematic tropes to suggest we are in a dream sequence. Or perceptions are entirely hostage to the dictates of the fantasy itself, and by initially focusing on Camilla/Rita instead of Diane/Betty, Lynch allows us to falsely assume the brunette has the starring role, one of the film's many clever slight-of-hand tricks used to divert our attention. And of course, the very fact that Lynch begins the movie with Diane's fantasy is disorienting; until the blue box is opened two-thirds into the movie, we can only assume that what we are seeing is "real." Our expectations are used against us, and we fall into the traps of perception and logical thinking. It is a lesson that will be brought home later at Club Silencio.
In order to begin her fantasy, Diane must "rescue" Camilla from the fate that Diane herself has set into motion. Though we never really know where the hit took place, if we assume that Diane felt as though her life had ended the night of the party, it's understandable that she'd convert the black limousine into a vehicle of death. After all, didn't it ferry her to her own "fate?" But Camilla is allowed to escape her doom through the intervention of joy-riding teens, who crash into the limo, killing her film noir executioners. Camilla stumbles away, dazed but alive.
This catastrophe also serves another purpose. While the auto accident in Wild at Heart was merely a diversion, designed to disorient Sherilyn Fenn for the sake of a haunting image (and to provide a sharp reminder of reality for the film's lovestruck couple), here the crash bestows its sexy brunette with the gift of total amnesia. In Diane's dream, she'll get the Camilla she wants: a blank slate upon which she can project her fantasies. (Which also works well in setting up the film's exploration of perceived reality, and its implied critique of Hollywood. See the Salon.com article for more on this second theme.) Scared and numb, the now-nameless woman wanders all the way past Sunset Boulevard. Finding a bungalow being temporarily vacated by its tenant ("Aunt Ruth" on the way to Canada), she slips inside and falls immediately asleep.
After this, Lynch complicates the matter further by inserting several parallel narratives before we return to our brunette tabula rasa. The first is the most problematic, and it involves a young man who's been plagued by a dream. The location is Winkie's Diner, which a first-time viewer does not yet know as the location where Diane arranges the death of Camilla. Here we see a young man with wide, staring eyes (and an uncanny resemblance to H.P. Lovecraft), talking anxiously to an older man who could be his psychiatrist. His problem is a recurring nightmare, in which he walks from the diner to an adjacent alley and sees a monster with a horrible face. Prompted by the psychiatrist, the man walks around the corner and, in a chilling scene, sees the creature and faints. (Later in the film, we will see this monster again, packing a blue box into a bag and releasing the tiny, animated figures of Diane's parents.)
First of all, what is this monster? And second of all, why is this thread problematic?
Although the monster will be discussed in greater detail below, for now it should suffice to say that it represents a force of evil and entropy called into being when Diane orders the death of her lover. While the presence of the monster may be directly ascribed to Diane, the scene itself poses a deeper question because it contains a narrative ambiguity allowing for two readings -- it can be seen as part of Diane's fantasy, or it can stand alone as an independent but related narrative. We know that the disturbed man was present at Winkie's the day Diane ordered the hit. Is she merely incorporating him into her dream as a possible "guide," meant to lead her to the monster of her own creation? Or does this sequence actually exist in the "real" world? Could the young man be a psychic who sensed the rupture in Diane's moral reality on that day, and has since become haunted by the apparition it called into being? I for one prefer this explanation. Not only does it add an extra vertical dimension to the story, it makes a Lynchian sort of sense, and resonates with the world of Twin Peaks. In the Lynchian universe, acts of evil can manifest as spirits on the material plane, which in turn may be interact with those sensitive enough to perceive them.
Soon after this sequence, Diane herself finally enters the fantasy narrative in the form of "Betty," a name she borrowed from her waitress at Winkie's. Betty is Diane's idealized self-image, and appears as an unbelievably perky blonde, filled with a down-home sense of kindness and a chipper go get 'em attitude. The scenes of her arrival have a deliberately forced aspect -- everything is just too too; Betty is too perky, LA is too bright, the cabbie is too kind, and so on. This hyper-reality reflects not only Diane's first impressions of LA, but acts as a protective veneer covering the sordid reality to which she later succumbs. Before leaving the airport, we see Betty bid farewell to an old couple she met on the plane. An astute observer will note that this is the second time they've appeared in the film -- they are the jitterbug champion's beaming parents. (Of course, at this point a viewer has no idea what the hell that whole jitterbug thing was anyway.) Although re-cast as an anonymous but kindly couple in the fantasy narrative, they become increasingly more invested with powers over Diane, and will return at the end, when they drive her to suicide. A hint of this darker purpose may be seen as they leave the airport and stray from Betty's point-of-view. Sitting together in the back of a cab, the nod at each other crazily, their faces locked in rictus-like grins like dolls preparing to shatter under some terrible pressure. It's an uncomfortable scene, as if Lynch is giving us a peek behind the curtain, where we see the characters as enslaved automatons devoid of free will once their role has been discharged upon Diane's stage.
Before Camilla and Betty meet, Lynch introduces the final main thread of this convoluted fantasy -- the story of the director Adam Kesher. Unlike the monster-haunted man at Winkie's, this thread can only be seen as Diane's creation, and represents the most free-form of all her baroque inventions. Essentially, Adam is a stand-in for all directors, and he's imbued with an almost parodistic sense of egoism and brilliance. His purpose in the illusory narrative is simple -- to become the victim of a cabal that keeps Diane/Betty from landing major parts. Unable to accept that she lost her first starring role to Camilla, Diane's fantasy insulates her from failure by fabricating a Byzantine conspiracy. While of course "Betty Elms" would be a natural for the starring role in Adam's movie, he is coerced by these nearly supernatural powers into casting an unknown actress named Camilla Rhodes. This fantasy version of Camilla, however, is actually a blonde; and she's "played" by the blonde starlet Diane met at Adam's party, an actress who gave Camilla a more-than-friendly kiss. This clever substitution permits Diane to demonize her rival while maintaining the purity of her idealized Camilla. It's also telling that Diane's imaginary conspiracy is aligned for Camilla and not against Betty. This preserves Betty's wholesome lovability (who could possibly conspire against Betty?), while simultaneously implying that Camilla lacks the talent required to earn the role on her own.
Unsurprisingly, Diane incorporates many more of the party guests into the conspiracy, reassigning Adam's associates as malign forces preventing her success. This hallucinatory re-casting happily gives Lynch license to engage in all-out Lynchian weirdness. The Cowboy is transformed into a cryptic enforcer with the aloof gravity of a fallen angel; the severe Italian is now a mafioso mogul who demands an impossibly perfect cup of espresso; and even Michael Anderson makes an appearance as "Mr. Roque," a wheel-chair bound mastermind locked in a vault of glass and red velvet. (Oddly, though, only Michael Anderson's head is used, inserted over the body of a realistic, man-sized dummy. If one did not know him as the famous backwards-talking "Man from Another Place" in Twin Peaks, one might not know that the actor is a dwarf! Lynch draws further attention to this by placing "Mr. Roque" in a room remarkably like the Black Lodge from Twin Peaks. Yet another example of both Mulholland Drive's nested illusions and Lynch's cinematic self-referentiality.) The appearances of these conspirators strike a jarring balance between the sinister and the comical, pushing the fantasy to the edge of surrealism as they exert their pressure on the director. The only "normal" event in Adam's day is taken from a comment Diane overheard him make about catching his wife sleeping with the pool-cleaner. But even the fact that Mrs. Kesher's lover is played by Billy Ray Cyrus adds an element of makeshift appropriation, as if Diane was inserting an image of blue-collar maleness plucked from the background noise of American pop culture.
Despite the fascinating characters surrounding Adam, the real story naturally revolves around the two women. Betty arrives at her "aunt's" bungalow, which is a glorified version Diane's real apartment at Sierra Bonita. (Of course, this could be the real Aunt Ruth's bungalow; we later know she lived in Hollywood when she was alive.) There she meets Coco, Adam's mother, now playing the role of kind but nosy landlady. Upon entering the apartment, Betty is startled to discover the amnesiac brunette in the shower. When asked for her name, she blanks -- she does not remember. Spying an old Rita Heyworth Gilda poster, she selects "Rita." (The fact that Diane must be imagining the poster, too, may indicate something about her own movie-star fixations, as well as giving her an embedded hint that something is amiss. The poster's telling tag-line reads, "There never was a woman like Gilda!") The transformations are now complete -- Camilla has become the mysterious but wonderfully dependent Rita, Diane has become the idealistic Betty, and Adam must cast some "other" Camilla Rhodes to please a shadowy cabal.
Needless to say, Rita and Betty hit it off spectacularly. But even this potential union contains the seeds of its own dissolution, and their decision to discover Rita's real identity can only lead in one direction. Almost immediately, elements of reality intrude upon the dream, transfigured into symbolic or fantastical shapes. Opening Rita's haute couture purse, they discover $50,000 in stacks of crisp hundreds -- the wad of grimy cash Diane handed to the hit man, now amplified and fetishized into a Hollywood trope. But even more importantly, the blue key has also made the transition, emerging from the depths of the black purse and gleaming with a Sphinx-like aura of intrigue. No longer a cheap chrome blank, it's now a stylized triangular rod from an art-deco vision of the future. (Later in the film we'll discover what the key opens, when the blue box appears in Betty's black handbag. Like the blue box, I find the black purse to be another vaginal symbol, one rich with natal mysteries and resonating with film noir associations. In the movies, the interior of a woman's purse is co-located in some murky, chthonian world where various symbolic objects may suddenly materialize: mirrors, lipstick, guns, stacks of cash, strange keys, puzzle-boxes....) Another significant irruption occurs at Winkie's Diner, where in a mirrored reflection of cause and effect, the women are served breakfast by a waitress named "Diane." Like the poster, it's another echo from the real world, as if Diane's mind is trying to break free from the delusion. In fact, the name is their first real clue to solving the mystery -- Rita suddenly remembers the name "Diane Selwyn." Could it be Rita's true name? Consulting the phone book, they make plans to investigate. This sets up one of the film's more obvious-in-retrospect hints. The girls call Diane Selwyn; but it's Betty, not Rita, who remarks "It's strange to be calling yourself." Rita replies, "Maybe it's not me." But all they get is a voice on the answering machine, a voice Rita "knows."
An even stronger hint that all is not as it seems comes later that night, when Betty is visited by Louise Bonner, a spooky old psychic woman appearing at her door like a chattier version of the monster. Informed by her spiritual sources that something is "terribly wrong" at Ruth's bungalow, she tries to pry her way inside, where she seems to sense Rita is hidden. When Ruth's neice tells Louise that her name is "Betty," the crone shakes her head and moans, "No it's not...." Like the palm reader in Jacob's Ladder ("You're already dead!"), her message penetrates the fantasy with a grim reminder of the truth, but Coco leads this Cassandra away before her warnings can be deciphered.
Besides the quest for Rita's identity and the story of Adam, the fantasy narrative occasionally spins off into several eddies. All these incorporate material from the "real" Diane narrative, and like a dream, identities change, events are conflated, and some clues lead nowhere. An early scene introduces a pair of TV detectives; but Diane imagines them to be after Rita, when in the real world it is she who is under investigation. One dementedly violent sequence features Joe the hit man, who visits an associate named Ed in his shady office. We catch Ed in the tail end of telling a story about an "unbelievable" car crash, and though it's not explained, they both share a laugh as if something terribly clever had transpired. (Could it be Ed was remarking on his own fantasy "assignment," which was figuring out a way stop the hit on Camilla? In any event, Joe guns him down and takes his black address book, an item Diane saw in the possession of the hit man.) And in one of the more remarkable scenes in the film, the ditzy Betty turns out to be a spectacular actress -- which, I suppose, only surprises us because we are not Diane! A following scene allows Adam and Betty to trade a few highly charged glances, perhaps revealing that Diane's jealousy is more complicated that it will later seem. They never talk, however, as the sudden appearance of "Camilla Rhodes" causes Betty to unexpectedly run home. (Perhaps even in her fantasy, seeing Adam meet and/or cast Camilla is too painful, so she retreats back to the security of Rita, her delusionary Camilla.) Adam watches Camilla's audition and obeys the dictates of the conspiracy: "This is the one."
Soon after, Rita and Betty decide to visit Diane Selwyn's residence, which turns out to be an apartment at -- Sierra Bonita. A neighbor confirms their suspicion that Rita is not Diane, and she points them to the correct bungalow. It is, of course, the real Diane Selwyn's abode; and so the two girl detectives open the door from the dream world into a partial version/vision of reality. Inside, they find the corpse of an "unknown" blonde woman decomposing on the bed. Horrified, Rita runs outside screaming.
As the corpse is that of Diane after she shoots herself, we may mark another point where the dream reality slips away from waking logic: how could Diane be hallucinating her own dead body, in exactly the same position as it will actually be? And how could her own death be so critical a part of the fantasy narrative? And so on. Again, the Möbius strip twists out of our grasp; but we will only realize this at the very end of the movie, when the identity of the corpse is finally revealed.
Realizing that she might be in mortal danger, Rita allows Betty to cut her hair and replace it with a blonde wig. This blurs their identities even more, which makes sense when we recall that Diane is imagining both Betty and Rita. It also reinforces Diane's jealousy of Camilla, in that her vampiric obsession demands for the two to merge into one. Hardly surprisingly, their traumatic day drives the women closer together, and that night they make love. It's quite an erotic and beautiful scene, and when Betty asks Rita if she's ever "done this" before, her lover replies, "I don't know." Betty confess to being in love with Rita, and the two consummate their relationship.
More than just an enthralling sex scene, it's the turning point of the fantasy narrative. Betty has exactly what she -- or Diane -- wants: a Camilla free of past experiences, receptive to her love, and ready to be absorbed and devoured. And yet the fact this narrative is an illusion calls even that into question, for both Betty and Rita are fantasies, complementary projections of Diane's dissociated self. Their consummation isn't even transgressive; its masturbatory, delusional. It's quite possible that their orgasm (tastefully assumed, and certainly mutual) coexists with the masturbatory release reached by Diane back in the real world -- after this climactic "little death," everything starts to come apart at the seams in both worlds, and the dream falls under the increasing power of reality's unravelling hand.
Shortly after making love, Rita slowly emerges from sleep, the word "silencio" coming unbidden to her lips as if broadcast from a million miles away. More Spanish follows: "No hay banda," or "There is no band." (Rita speaks Spanish because Camilla spoke Spanish, a fact established later during the party scene.) Upon waking, Rita insists that Betty take her somewhere, a place she seems to have remembered in her sleep: Club Silencio.
Although theories about Club Silencio will be discussed later, for now a few words about its role in the film are necessary. Club Silencio is a surreal cabaret, located in the depths of a long alley and advertised in blue neon. Seated in the theater, Betty and Rita watch a disquieting performance in which death and loneliness are principle themes, illusion is touted over reality, and the audience is constantly fooled into believing the fake is genuine. After a thunderclap causes Betty to tremble uncontrollably, the stage is flooded with flickering blue light. The light fades, and a singer delivers a heart-rending version of Roy Orbison's "Crying" sung in Spanish ("Llorando"). But before the song ends, the singer slumps to the ground, and we realize she's been lip-syncing to a recording. Slowly but knowingly, Betty reaches into her purse. There, as if precipitated from the shimmering blue light, is a new object: a smooth blue box with a triangular keyhole.
The two women rush home, but as Rita retrieves her key from the bedroom closet, she turns around to find that Betty's disappeared. (Lynch is careful to have included Betty's footsteps upon entering the room; we hear none to mark a possible retreat.) Alone, Rita inserts her blue key into the lock, and the box opens, revealing only a dark and empty interior. The camera rushes inside and passes through, but Rita is gone. The box falls to the floor, tumbling through the void where Rita was just standing. The bedroom is empty.
Several odd things happen here as the fantasy decays into the "real" narrative. First, we see Aunt Ruth, who is supposed to be dead in Diane's world, and visiting Canada in Betty's. She enters the bedroom and looks puzzled -- and we see there is no box. We then watch as the room dissolves into the darkened walls of Diane's Sierra Bonita bungalow, then wavers back: the hallucination is fading. This happens again, and we see a healthy Diane sleeping on her bed, in the exact same position as her corpse. The Cowboy opens her door and says, "Hey pretty girl, time to wake up." We look again -- her body is now in corpse form, and the Cowboy leaves. We observe Diane's corpse change into her sleeping body, and she reluctantly wakes up to answer the doorbell. It's her neighbor, come to claim an ashtray. We are now in the "reality" narrative, dropped into the morning that Diane commits suicide.

The "Reality" -- the Diane/Camilla Narrative
The rest of the movie plays out in the real world, essentially following the plot outlined in the "Base Story" section above. This isn't to say that the film tracks only Diane and remains entirely grounded in objective reality; at several points Lynch allows the dream world to intrude, reminding us that we're still connected to Diane's unstable universe. Even if Diane may not see the blue box and the monster, we as observers are awarded a privileged view. Lynch tells this part of the tale using numerous flashbacks inserted within the basic linear sequence of Diane waking up, returning an ashtray to her neighbor, seeing a vision of Camilla, brewing coffee, staring at the key, and shooting herself. These intercuts are often confusing, as Lynch makes sly use of repeated elements to suggest a false sense of continuity: ringing telephones, drinks in hand, and passages from one room to another all seem to "connect" non-contiguous scenes. The best way to keep track of this is by observing what Diane's wearing in each scene (in the "present," she's always in a grungy robe) and by keeping an eye on various objects in her room. (Or as Lynch himself suggests in the DVD's "10 Clues," "Notice the robe, the ashtray, and the coffee cup.")

The final third of the film begins with Diane waking up to greet her neighbor. We see the hit man's blue key on her coffee table -- Camilla is dead. Weary and distraught, Diane sees a sudden vision of Rita/Camilla standing in her apartment. Bursting into tears she cries, "Camilla, you've come back." She spaces out momentarily, "coming to" in the spot where she's just hallucinated her lover. (This is all very baffling to first-time viewers. Not only are we unaware that Diane and Betty are the same person, we've been lead to believe that Rita and Camilla Rhodes are two completely different women! So why is this "Diane" woman calling our Rita by the name of that blonde floozy who stole Betty's role? And is "Diane" really the same actress who played Betty? And what's with that "normal" blue key? Uh-oh, Lynch is up to something....)
Recovering her senses, Diane begins brewing a pot of coffee; but a sudden flashback catches the viewer off-guard, and we are now in the past, coffee cup transmuted to whiskey glass. Camilla is sprawled naked on Diane's couch, and setting the glass down next to her neighbor's ashtray, Diane playfully begins foreplay. Although Camilla seems to enjoy it, after a few seconds she pushes her lover away. Much to Diane's resentment, Camilla insists that they "shouldn't do this anymore."
We are about to learn why Camilla's had a change of heart. After the couch scene, we move ahead to the set of Adam's movie, which stars Camilla and features Diane in a minor role. Clearing the set of all extras, Diane is practically invited to watch Adam and Camilla "practice" a make-out scene. Needless to say, she is mortified. Soon afterwards, Camilla comes over to Diane's to try to explain, but she is thrown out, and a miserable Diane returns to the couch to masturbate joylessly. She stops when the phone rings.
This is followed by another flashback, fluidly spliced to the previous scene by a ringing phone. (We must again note that Diane is dressed differently.) It is now after the confrontation/masturbation scene; perhaps that same day, but possibly weeks later. This is the critical flashback, the biggie, the key to the whole movie: Diane's limo trip up Mulholland Drive and subsequent humiliation at Adam's party. In this crucial sequence, we learn Diane's real history, meet most of the people she casts in her fantasy, and witness the emotional destruction that results in her decision to have Camilla murdered. After watching Diane break down at the party, we quickly move to Winkie's Diner, where Diane hires the hit man, meets a waitress named Betty, and trades glances with the psychic. It is here that Diane crosses the line, making decisions that will force her to repress overwhelming feelings of guilt and loss. It is here that Diane creates the monster, the blue box, and her own tormenting agents of conscience. To underscore this, Lynch breaks from the realistic narrative at this point to take us outside Winkie's Diner. We see the monster, now shorn of dream-glamor and looking like a filthy beggar. It packs the blue box into a bag and sets it down. We then see Diane's parents, shrunken and maniacal, issue from the bag and set off on their mission.
Finally we are back in the present. Wrapped in her robe, Diane sits staring at the blue key, trembling slightly, as she trembled in Club Silencio during the thunderclap. Startled by a fierce pounding on the door (The detectives? The Cowboy? Fate, à la Beethoven's Fifth?) Diane watches in horror as her parents slip under the door and expand in size, a pair of terrorizing harpies hounding her to the bedroom. Flinging herself on the bed, she opens her drawer, where she pulls out a gun and shoots herself in the mouth. However, we also see a glimpse of something in the drawer -- the blue box?
By now we are familiar with the position of her dead body, and we watch as smoke fills the room and it's flooded with blue light. We briefly see the cryptic face of the monster, then an image of a happy Diane and Camilla swirling in a dreamlike vision of LA. The scene fades into the flickering stage at Club Silencio, where a matronly woman with nightmarishly blue hair whispers, "Silencio."

Questions in a world of blue: The Box, the Monster, the Old Couple, and Club Silencio
Of course, the blue box is one of the biggest mysteries of the film, and there are numerous theories concerning its nature. First of all, I think the box has many interconnected meanings, and it's unnecessarily limiting to settle on just one. I also think that the box, the monster, Diane's shrunken parents, and Club Silencio are all related, and form a system not unlike the id, the ego, the superego, and the collective unconscious respectively.
One its most basic level, the blue box represents the repressed memories and awareness of reality that Diane must seal away in order to construct her fantasy world. Inscribed with Camilla's death, it's called into being when Diane orders the hit, a self-generated answer to her own question, "what does the key open?" Incarnated also at this moment are both the monster and her parents. The monster represents her disfigured self (her ruined ego?), and seems to change appearance each time it's seen. Like the picture of Dorian Gray, when Diane becomes more pure and beautiful as Betty in the dream narrative, the monster grows from a homeless wretch into a terrible hag. (The monster is played by a female actress. Ebert also suggests that it may be a projection of Diane's decomposing body.) But the monster is not an exclusively evil figure. It also functions as a corrosive force of entropy (or justice?) within Diane herself, working to dissolve her fantasy and bring about self-realization. It is the monster that packs the blue box (the buried desires of the id, acted upon and then repressed again?) into a brown paper bag, the sleek black purse now in a fallen state. From this bag also emerge her parent-tormentors (the judgmental superego?), transformed from benevolent protectors of innocence into furies armed with talons of guilt. Tiny and nagging at first, they will grow in stature like the voice of conscience, eventually overwhelming Diane and driving her to suicide.
On a mythopoetic level, the blue box naturally calls to mind Pandora's Box, with the dangers of opening restricted to the destruction of Diane's personal universe. And of course, a sexual involution is folded into the box as well -- after all, one of the main sources of Diane's anger is erotic and romantic unfulfillment, and part of her fantasy may be unleashed while masturbating.
So why does the box appear in her purse at Club Silencio?
To answer this question, one has to first understand the nature of Club Silencio, and like the box, it also contains several metaphorical dimensions. To start with, its very existence as a nocturnal cabaret evokes a host of mundane associations: it is a theater, a place where performance and voyeurism exchange energy, a somewhat seamy nexus of desire and illusion. No one there seems particularly happy; Silencio is a home for broken hearts, insomniac castaways, and 2 am refugees from sleep's tranquility. Club Silencio does not need to advertise -- its patrons wake up in the middle of the night and know where to go. (Pynchon fans might easily imagine its regulars to be quite familiar with the underground postal system from The Crying of Lot 49. I am sure Sliencio's bathroom contains WASTE graffiti.) But where an ordinary cabaret thrives on bankable illusion, Club Silencio wishes to highlight the confusion between reality and perception and to expose theatrical pretense. At one point, its Magician emcee pronounces, "It is...an illusion. Listen!" and calls forth a rolling thunderclap. Diane trembles uncontrollably, as if all her illusions were toppled by the 100-letter thunderword of the demiurge. (Could this thunderclap also be the knock on the door back in the pre-suicide real world?) The Magician vanishes and the stage glows with a watery blue light, its square shape offering a more-than-passing resemblance to a shimmering blue box. Indeed, it is at this point that the box most likely manifests in Diane's purse, but she has yet to realize it: she has been exposed, the gig is up, and from this point she can no longer find refuge in illusion. Rebekah Del Rio takes the stage, and transfixed, Betty holds onto Rita for one last time as they open themselves to the heartbreak of "Crying." But of course, even that's a sham. When the singer collapses and the recording runs out, Betty knows just what to do, and reaches into her purse. There, in its dark, uterine depths, she finds the blue box that will be her undoing. Now that she has achieved her desire of union with Rita/Camilla, her fantasy can no longer sustain itself, and its essential hollowness is exposed: no hay banda. Taking it home, Diane allows "Rita" to insert the key, and she is negated from existence -- after all, the box always contained Camilla's death. The fantasy is over, and all that's left is the realization of horror, and the mocking pursuit of the furies.
In one way, Silencio may be seen as the blue box writ large. Where the box represents Diane's fragile illusions and suppressed awareness, Club Silencio encompasses the whole world -- or at the very least, the film itself. Lynch the artist is playing with his audience, reminding us that what we are watching, too, is a mirage of sound and vision. Even though the Magician has informed us that the band does not exist and everything we hear is recorded, like Betty and Rita, we are taken in by the singer's passion and intensity, all too easily forgetting that she's only lip-syncing. When she falls to the stage (all part of the act, ladies and gentlemen!), we are as startled as her audience -- startled, and quite foolishly so, because we have allowed ourselves to be duped, we were willing participants in our own self-deception. It also drives home the deeper illusion of film itself: no hay banda. And so Lynch takes this epiphany, this rupture in our suspension of disbelief, and bends it to his art: we watch Betty take possession of the box with our consciousness altered and chills tingling our flesh.
Club Silencio has another riddle to pose -- the Blue Haired Lady. Aloof in her "box" above the stage, she sits quietly but imperiously, garishly made-up and crowned with a bizarre head of electric blue hair. While neither her presence nor purpose are ever explained, her single line of dialogue brings the film to a close. She may be the mistress of Club Silencio, she may be a favored patron, or she may be an idealized form of the monster -- especially if we see the monster as a minister of secrets, functioning as a merciless agent of self-realization. If Club Silencio is the universal image of Diane's personal blue box, its Blue Haired Lady could be the Queen of Monsters. After all, both Lady and monster reappear in the last few minutes of the film. First we see the monster, its face hovering over Diane's fuming bed. The upright bedpost visible in the glowing blue fog gives the whole scene a resemblance to the stage of Club Silencio, where the vertical microphone was seen gleaming in the shimmering blue light. When this similarity is reinforced by the appearance of the actual stage, we again see the Blue Haired Lady, positioned above the tableau to whisper her parting incantation: "Silencio."
A provocative word to end with, as the audience of Mulholland Drive will be inclined to anything but silence as they leave the theater! And of course, it's well known that like many "difficult" artists, Lynch is reluctant to discuss his own work. Perhaps "Silencio" is not only an artistic statement, but a Zen-like instruction as well, echoing the many mystical beliefs relating silence with wisdom and understanding. Lynch could be suggesting that Mulholland Drive should be first allowed to settle in the subconscious world of dreams, where much of the film seems to operate, and where it finds a sublime kind of harmony. After all, even if the core of the film resists logical penetration, it can still have meaning. It's very enigma holds a truth elusive to the rational mind, and yet still meaningful within the realm of emotional and spiritual experience. To return to earlier examples, think of the frisson experienced when making a Möbius strip, the wonder of being absorbed in an Escher print, or the playful joy felt when reading aloud from Finnegans Wake. While repeated viewing and careful analysis reveal a surprising amount of structure and cohesiveness to Mulholland Drive, parts of it remain paradoxical, and I'm content to let it remain so. As another many-layered and famously elusive work once concluded, "The rest is silence."

--Allen B. Ruch
23 April 2002
Email: quail@libyrinth.com

Postscript: Dangling Threads
"The rest is silence," eh? OK, so that was a tidy and clever way to end my essay, but let's face it, silencio only takes you so far. There are some things about Mulholland Drive that I admit I just can't figure out, and I don't mean the paradoxes. There are a few elements that I think should make sense, but don't. This is complicated by the fact that the first two-thirds of Mulholland Drive was intended to be the pilot for an ABC TV series; so it's possible that the film contains a few vestigial threads, meant to be woven into the whole later, but left behind as inexplicable loose ends.

Joe the Hit Man
I have no idea why the hit man had to kill his friend Ed, and can only offer the brief conjecture I outlined above regarding the "car crash" conversation. But still, why was Ed's black book of phone numbers so important? Just because Diane saw it in the diner? Could it just be Diane's fantasy supplying a backstory for the hit man? If so, why go to such lengths? Also, why the scene where the hit man and his older associate question a prostitute regarding the missing girl, Rita? I can see that Diane's fantasy had to conjure up a reason for Rita to be assassinated, but there still seems to be a missing link or two -- who was the "guy" the hit man was working for, and why would anyone want to kill Rita in the first place? Could it just be a film noir trope, or were these plot lines supposed to be developed in the TV series?

Aunt Ruth's Final Appearance
In the real world, Diane's Aunt Ruth, who lived in Hollywood, is dead. Yet, she is the last person we see in the "fantasy" narrative, where she is supposed to be filming in Canada. Surely Diane wouldn't hallucinate her aunt returning from Canada? The fact she was dressed the same as when she left adds to the confusion. Did the whole Betty fantasy happen within the space of time needed for Ruth head back into the house before taking her taxi? If so, why add this extra mind-bender -- the fantasy was over, no? Who cares about Ruth at this point? And where did Aunt Ruth live, exactly? Did she really have that delicious apartment? Was she a ghost, somehow interacting with Diane's fantasy in the same way that Louise Bonner and the psychic man at Winkie's could? Or was that final scene a flashback, with a flesh-and-blood Aunt Ruth hearing a ghostly disturbance of her own? In the "10 Clues" provided by Lynch in the DVD packaging, Clue #10 is "Where is Aunt Ruth?" Well...dead? In Canada? In the bedroom? With the Log Lady?

The Cowboy's Final Appearance
Why does the Cowboy visit Diane to wake her up? Was that a genuine flashback, in which Adam's friend stops by before the party but is unable to rouse Diane from her depressed sleep? If so, why is she in her "death" position, and why does he suddenly then see her dead and depart? Perhaps the knock on the door that precipitates Diane's suicide is actually the Cowboy, who was sent to bring her somewhere -- to Adam, to the film set, or even to Camilla's funeral? Remember, we really don't know how long Camilla's been dead, nor do we know who else realizes she's dead. Come to think of it, for all we know, the hit man botched the job and left the key anyway, and the final knock on the door was a very pissed-off Camilla! Anyway, if the Cowboy does walk in on Diane's suicide, this might explain why she morphs from living to dead -- but still, if she just shot herself, she wouldn't be already decomposed. Hm...

The Final Appearance of the Blue Box
As Diane opens her drawer to get her gun, we see a very brief glimpse of what could be the blue box. If so, why is it there in "reality," and clearly within her point-of-view? Is Diane's suicide a dream within a dream? Or does the box really track her down into the real world? Or -- most likely -- does Diane Selwyn have some kind of mundane blue box of her own, perhaps a jewelry box, music box, or a stash box; something that she just incorporated into her fantasy like the address book and blue key? And finally, does anyone wonder just what the hell this crazy woman is doing with a gun in the first place? Eek

========================================

Visitor's Comments
Since my review/essay went online, a few visitors have emailed in some ideas of their own, including alternative interpretations, additional allusions, and intriguing artistic precursors.
Maziar Hosseinzadeh wrote:In my opinion all of the fantasy narrative happens after D's death. Remember that we encounter the phrase Sunset Boulevard more than once in the movie. It is an allusion to the late Wilder's movie with the same title which is totally narrated by its narrator after his death.
Braulio Tavares wrote:I enjoyed immensely what you wrote; it helped me to put things in a right perspective. Of course, the mysteries of the film remain mysterious, and that's the way they are meant to be. The fans of B-monster-movies are fond of "Monsters Incapable Of Being Definitely Killed". I am a fan of "Mysteries Incapable Of Being Completely Solved".
I have some comments of my own to add:
1) The Silencio Club. The singing woman is introduced as "La Llorona de Los Angeles". "La Llorona" (The Crying One) is a traditional ghost of Mexico City. Legend has it that circa 1550 a mestiza, Luisa de Oliveros, killed her own children after being despised by her lover, Dom Nuno de Montesclaros, who loved her by preferred to marry a Spanish lady of noble blood. After the crime, Luisa was arrested and hanged. It is said that her voice is still heard in Mexico City, by night, lamenting: "Oh, mis pobres hijos, mis desgraciados hijos!..." or something to that effect. "Ergo", hell hath no fury as that of any Luisa or Diane when they feel they are being despised by a lover.
2) Also in The Silencio Club, the lip-synching and dubbing examples are a good metaphor of the binary world of the film (reality/dream). We think that the singer is producing sound, but the sound is running all by itself, and we only realize it when the singer collapses on the stage. Also, we see the film as a quite logical, realistic story, until that very sequence (at the Silencio), when Betty finds the blue box and her fantasy also collapses. From that moment on, we cease to perceive one single thread of events, just as we cease to perceive singer/song as being one single phenomenon. (Lip-synch is a reversal of cause-effect: the sound "produces" the face/lips movements, and not the contrary. Similarly, we are shown the first two-thirds of the film are fantasy, not reality; effect, not cause).
3) The Monster. I loved this scene. I think this small episode could be a short film in itself, a self-contained unity that sums up the entire creative philosophy of Lynch. The young, "Lovecraftian" guy is Lynch. The older one is The Public, i.e., ourselves. The Monster is the things that Lynch finds inside his own mind. He brings us as witnesses of the things he saw. We follow him just to humor him, but we really don't believe that he saw something. And then, The Monster appears. It is there. It is real. Q.E.D.
4) Last year I wrote a small book about Luis Buñuel's "The Exterminating Angel", and did a good amount of reading about Surrealism and Buñuel himself. I think that Surrealism in the traditional sense (that of Breton, the Manifests and so on) is confined to a small number of films, but each filmmaker discovers his own way for bringing the Surreal to his movies. Buñuel did it in a very Latino-Hispano-American way. Lynch too, in his own style, in all his films. "Mulholland Dr." may be usefully compared to some Buñuel films, like "Belle de Jour" (sexually repressed woman bounces back and forth between harsh reality and harsher fantasies), "The Phantom of Liberty" (parallel narrative threads that barely touch each other but are thematically linked) or "That Obscure Object of Desire" (a single character played by two actresses, or the reverse).
But, alas -- we are just beginning to scratch the surface of this Zahir of a movie.
David Dawson wrote:Outstanding deconstruction of a movie I watched Saturday night and was considerably jolted by. I am in agreement with your main points, and am happy to say that I caught many of them on first viewing.
A possible twist, though, keeps running through my mind: perhaps the whole fantasy parable sequence -- the first 2/3 of the film -- happens at the moment of Diane/Betty's death?
After scanning her bed with the camera, we disappear into the pillow, where we hear breathing that stops. Or seems to. I need to watch this again to see and hear exactly what happens, but it would seem to be from Diane's point of view as she runs into her bedroom and shoots herself.
Flash from this into the fantasy sequence, in which the apoxia of the dying brain is supposed to provide all manner of imagery. Dreams, I've read, take but an instant, even the ones that seem to last for a long time. Could this be Diane's "tunnel of light," her passage from life to death? I am thinking of all the "light at the end of the tunnel" stories that people report when they are "clinically dead" and how doctors surmise that these might be life-summarizing visions (friends and loved ones, favorite pets, elementary school visions, oddly significant aromas, etc.) that are made conscious as the brain loses oxygen.
This notion might give serve up a possible explanation for the old blue-haired woman at the end. Her command, "Silencio," would serve as an end to the girl's life, and to her "after life" visions. Perhaps she's the angel of death, or god, or whatever -- counting down the time left in this recently-dead girl's experience in purgatory or limbo, and then bringing it to a close with her one word.
At any rate, what other movie can you recall that has stirred up this kind of discussion and speculation? Kubrick's "2001" did it, and of course there's "Citizen Kane." But what fun this is turning out to be.
Parker wrote:I really liked your article on Mulholland Drive. I love that movie.
I had a quick thought on Joe the Hit Man and the address book.
The address book would probably hold Diane's number (or, at least, she would think it held some sort of information on her), which might be enough to make it important in the dream world. Oh, and when I first saw the movie I thought the hooker was Betty for a second. Which could sort of make sense taking Diane's guilty feelings into account. She is a part of everyone in her dream after all. And how's "could sort of make sense" for hedging my bets?
Tim Boehme wrote:I enjoyed muchly reading your analysis of M.D. I had similar thoughts about the film, but you carefully explicated why Diane would dream or fantasize certain scenes whereas I -- once I concluded that the first 2/3 was a dream -- allowed for the possibility that some scenes could just be dream-fragments that don't lead anywhere. Here's a few points that I had further theories about:

-- I believe you wondered about the dream-logic for the attempted murder of "Rita" in the fantasy. Isn't this because the mob wants to kill her off to make way for their starlet ("Camilla Rhodes")?

-- I'd have to check the scene out again, but I assumed that the hitman in the dream narrative was trying either to cover up any links to the attempted murder or use the black book to find "Rita."

--I hold with those who take the dream-narrative as a dying dream. It sounds silly, or demented, or both, but I'd bet that the fact that "Diane" sounds like "dyin'" was considered when Lynch chose his protagonist's name. So I would allow for some vestiges of dream to intrude either in Diane's memory or in Lynch's staging of "reality" in the last part of the film. Thus maybe Diane dreams of her Aunt Ruth coming home to find her disappeared -- because, in the logic of the lingering dream, she isn't dead, just gone...and the mystery lingers for just a bit longer. I would then also take the images of her decomposed body as Diane's subconscious trying to tell her that she IS dying and that she WILL decompose. Unless, of course, this is all an exploration of "what dreams may come" after death, and not before it. Obviously, though, we have no empirical basis for that possibility in, um, reality.

--I like the notion of the "bogeyman" (or woman) behind the diner as an image of Diane's decomposing body. Maybe I've read too many Sandman comic books, but I just interpreted this grotesque figure as a god of dreams and nightmares, or a demon. I thought that the H.P. Lovecraft guy -- and his recounting of the nightmare -- was another signal from Diane's subconscious that dream would turn to nightmare soon enough (like the old lady oracle).

--Finally, there's the business of the missing earring. Again, I'd have to check it out again to be sure, but I believe that at the fantasized attempted murder scene near the beginning, the two detectives say something about finding only one earring. Later, when we finally get to "reality," I believe that there is a single earring on Diane's coffee table in one of the scenes. So, in the dream, "Rita" doesn't die and the single earring is just part of the mystery. In reality, I think that Diane was sent both the key and the blue box by the hitman. And the key opened the box to reveal...what else? A single earring of Camilla's -proof that she was dead. So that would make its placement in the dream a subconscious reminder to Diane of what she's done.

-- Oh, one last thing, just to be whacky. The Cowboy says to Adam something like, "If you do right, you'll see me one more time. If you do wrong, you'll see me two more times." Now this is just spitballing here, but I thought maybe he meant that they would both end up in the same place in the afterlife -- hell -- because of their participation in a corrupt system (Hollywood/the mob) in this life. So even if Adam does "right," he'll see the Cowboy again in hell. But if he does "wrong," the Cowboy would also pay
him another visit in this life...to kill him, of course. Is this linked somehow with Diane and the image of the Cowboy seeing her on the bed -- alive, first, and then dead and decomposing? I dunno. But if we must extract some trite moral to this story, I thought the Cowboy's semi-comical and perhaps ironical pronouncement to Adam would do: "A man's attitude goes a long way towards determining what happens to him."
A woman's too, eh.
Thanks again for your excellent analysis.

Long is an under statement! I've been wanting to reply to this all week just don't feel like I have the time to delve into all the differnt newances, and give them them the backing I'd like to.
However I will say that anytime you have to take a pad of paper into a movie...well lets just say you might want to revist your priorites! :wink:

First I need to explain my troubles with "artists" or the label. TC and Alex don't take this the wrong way but music and movies I have a tough tome with as a median for art. Thats not to say it can't be, I just think thats something that only time can tell. I have a hard time with comparing modern day artists to the ones we still listen to (not me) from centuries ago. Now we try to move that aspect into films and with both of these I just feel the artistic nature or name is very generalized. I guess what this rambling means is that entertainers can be artist and vice versa but all entertainers are not artist nor are artist entertainers. They have qualities that they share. To further this point think about ant modern day literature that will be read in fifty, or one hundred years from now, probally nothing on the best seller list today.

With that said I want to allude to something written in the above essay, sorry no direct qoute but I'm not searching through all that. He mentioned Lynch, likes many artist don't like to talk about their work, there is a definite method to this and I think Lynch has mastered it. By giving the true fans on the DVD 10 things to look for he shows the motivation. It's simple he gives some ideas he was trying to impose (or maybe he noticed after words) and throws them out there for us to interpet. With no closure on any of this he leaves it in us to manifest into what it may. If he had told us the meaning he was trying to convey he would turn off the ones who don't see it that way. Im no expert on Lynch but the movies I have seen all seem to do this type of thing, which is very amazing to me. Think that is why he has this "cult" like following.

Final thought on this for now, it will probally get more and more random, is the mention of Jacobs Ladder in the essay. This caught my attention right away simply because before Alex told me what I had missed it was the answer I came up with, the story that is. The girls inner struggles with life presenting her with this mass illusion of what life was or could be and her inabilitty to seperate the two. Its still nagging thought in the back of my mind that the whole movie was about her struggles in life wanting to be someone else that gives her one last glimpse of her life but at the same time power of her mind trying to bend to her will. This theory would also help tie up some of the above loose threads in that they are projections of the different forces at work.

I will watch it again and hopefully expand on some of this. Aslo sorry about any typos rambling or other incoherent things. Im doin this under the pretense I'm working...hehehehe.
"Your just jealous the voices are only talking to ME!!"

jakerupe wrote:First I need to explain my troubles with "artists" or the label....
i agree fully with what you said about that. no offense taken at all. some people will argue the labels "drummer" and "percussionist" into the ground for the same reasons. blah.
jakerupe wrote:With that said I want to allude to something written in the above essay, sorry no direct qoute but I'm not searching through all that. He mentioned Lynch, likes many artist don't like to talk about their work, there is a definite method to this and I think Lynch has mastered it. By giving the true fans on the DVD 10 things to look for he shows the motivation. It's simple he gives some ideas he was trying to impose (or maybe he noticed after words) and throws them out there for us to interpet. With no closure on any of this he leaves it in us to manifest into what it may. If he had told us the meaning he was trying to convey he would turn off the ones who don't see it that way. Im no expert on Lynch but the movies I have seen all seem to do this type of thing, which is very amazing to me. Think that is why he has this "cult" like following.
people who don't realize they are experts are usually the most effective. you just nailed exactly why there will never be a Lynch commentary, and exactly why i love his films - every time you watch them, it's different. it's like a choose-your-own-adventure book (remember those?)

jakerupe wrote:Final thought on this for now, it will probally get more and more random, is the mention of Jacobs Ladder in the essay.
yeah, the JL comparisons are inevitable. on one level, i can totally see it, but i think MD is more than that.

but again, my complete thoughts on the film will be coming after i watch it a couple more times, unless i just decide to start thinking outloud, but with me that could get very hectic very fast...

TC wrote:i agree fully with what you said about that. no offense taken at all. some people will argue the labels "drummer" and "percussionist" into the ground for the same reasons. blah.
Good! Tough to hash that out without a conversation to explain.
TC wrote: it's like a choose-your-own-adventure book (remember those?).
Hell ya! Thats what I was hoping Majestic would be like, but you couldn't keep your finger in the page with the two "good" choices!

jakerupe wrote:Final thought on this for now, it will probally get more and more random, is the mention of Jacobs Ladder in the essay.
TC wrote:... i just decide to start thinking outloud, but with me that could get very hectic very fast...
Think I just did! :mrgreen:
But I was tired of it being only me. Because none of them seem all to important alone!

I'm one of those people who gives a wide berth to the definition of art; even children are capable of making 'art.'

Now, as for GOOD or GREAT art...that's a whole different story!

some initial thoughts upon watching the first half again recently:

1) what is he re-casting for the lead actress role? does this support the "dream" theory, meaning that "rita" is already dead?

2) the beginning. i think that all the theories i've read make the same assumption - she's at the "sock hop" or whatever, then is seen winning with her "parents" at her side, then the pillow scene. well, i have a problem with this. for one, you never see her dancing anywhere in the scene. secondly, if she had won the dance competition that we're all assuming happened, wouldn't her partner have been with her? notwithstanding the fact that her hair, her attire, none of it is indicative of or remotely like the other "contestants" at the "sock hop".

3) the explaination of the dream by freaky guy at Winkies. assuming the theories put forth above, this is a gratuitous scene meant to throw off the viewer, especially in light of the "freaky guy"'s re-appearance at the counter later in the film when the "real" scenes are happening. i'm not sure i buy this either. one thing he said - about there being a man behind the wall - "he's behind the wall but i can see him clearly, he's the one controlling it. he's the one causing it," that originally hit me as yet another blatantly nod to Wizard of Oz, but while this may be true i now think there's more to it than that. take Michael Anderson's character - he is in that chair behind the plexiglass wall - the wall that can be seen through - and seems to have plenty of people answering to him....think on this.

4) the red lampshade/ashtray. in just about every other theory i've read, it is assumed that this is a sign of the "real" happenings of the film, at diane's apartment in the end. right? ok, then think on this - there's a scene where we see what appears to be a concierge at a hotel answer the phone only to hear something like, "The girl's still missing." he then picks up the phone and makes two calls, one to Michael Anderson's character, where he says, "The same," and another to a phone that is on a table with the lamp with the red shade and the ashtray in question - assumingly diane's apartment? so, taking into account the assumption that the red lampshade is in the "real" world, then this scene seems to indicate that so is Michael Anderson's character, which to me has vast implications. especially since this also means that the re-casting meeting and everything that happens with the director after this point must also be in the "real" world. if this is the case, then what's the timeline with him & diane at the end?

5) remember this: Coco gives betty a key as well, the key to her "aunt's" apartment. the next scene in the apartment she refers to it as "being in this...dreamworld". coco gave her the key after opening the door for her....

6) the wacky lady from upstairs that appears at betty's door talking of "trouble" happening in there. the lady keeps talking about "her", saying things like, "...that's not what she said..." what is this?

as you can see, i'm still processing this film. i just wanted to post something so that it doesn't seem like i'm ignoring it, or have blown it off. also so that i don't forget these things later...

2) the beginning. i think that all the theories i've read make the same assumption - she's at the "sock hop" or whatever, then is seen winning with her "parents" at her side, then the pillow scene. well, i have a problem with this. for one, you never see her dancing anywhere in the scene. secondly, if she had won the dance competition that we're all assuming happened, wouldn't her partner have been with her? notwithstanding the fact that her hair, her attire, none of it is indicative of or remotely like the other "contestants" at the "sock hop".
I think you're over-thinking this point a little bit. What then, if this particular owl is not what it seems, is this scene representing? I think he brought the 'parents' in because he'd shot the scene of her arriving in L.A. with them, got the idea to bring them back at the end, and wanted to put them in the beginning to give the idea some more flow. Lynch probably never thought about the dance partner angle, 'cause that particular character wasn't going to have any real bearing on the rest of his film. As for her dress, from what I remember we don't see much of her attire anyway; she's got a little sweater on and you can't see her legs, correct?

I like the links you're trying to make between Michael Anderson and the garbage dumpster man, but you'll need to give me more to convince me that it was planned that way. M.A. strikes me as a character who would've gotten a lot more play in the series than he ever did in the feature film. He pretty much disappears after the first act, and he's not one of the characters running around (er, wheeling around) in the later, 'real' scenes like the party or Winkie's. I'm probably being a cynic, but I just don' t see it. I also like the RE-casting idea, that's very good...

Alexhead wrote:Lynch probably never thought about the dance partner angle
you had me until then. i'll never buy the idea that Lynch hasn't thought about every single friggin' nuance of any of his films, but particularly this one, since he had so much time to mull it over when it got passed on by ABC.

as for the rest, thanks for the encouragement - i'm working on it. 8)

Well SURE he thought about the scene; it's one of the new ones, and it's one of the ones the audience sees first--but there's just not a lot to the dance partner angle. Nothing in the movie refers back to some mysterious dance partner from Deep River, Ontario and the broken heart he caused her, or the fact that she didn't have a partner so she must be a lesbian, or the fact that her parents didn't take her to the circus as a child so she never felt loved, or whatnot. I think he put a lot of thought into having her standing there triumphantly with her parents at her side, and didn't put one iota of thought into who her dance partner was at the jitterbug contest.

OK, more generally speaking (because your whole thesis isn't based on the dance partner, it's based on several other things you saw), Lynch gives us no reason to believe that she didn't win the jitterbug competition like she says--I don't believe she lies about anything at the end of the movie, when she's discussing her past at the party; she spends the first part of the movie lying to herself in her dream.

One more thing, and it's not a 'theory' or plot point, exactly. More of an example of Lynch's sublime technique that I noticed--next time you watch, notice the sound design in the early scene you were discussing where everyone's calling around saying 'the girl is missing' etc etc; the last phone it lands on is indeed the red lamp with the ashtray. As that phone rings, notice how the ring sound carries over into the next scene and blends perfectly in with the swelling Badalamenti score as Betty enters Los Angeles for the first time.

Alexhead wrote:One more thing, and it's not a 'theory' or plot point, exactly. More of an example of Lynch's sublime technique that I noticed--next time you watch, notice the sound design in the early scene you were discussing where everyone's calling around saying 'the girl is missing' etc etc; the last phone it lands on is indeed the red lamp with the ashtray. As that phone rings, notice how the ring sound carries over into the next scene and blends perfectly in with the swelling Badalamenti score as Betty enters Los Angeles for the first time.
that did not escape my attention. the first time i watched it, i made it a point to pay careful attention to the sound, wanting to be able to point out a few of my favorite moments to John Neff. you've nailed one of them. i think the entire "she's the girl" re-casting meeting is another one. from total silence to chaos in a split-second.

and of course the entrance of the cowboy, with the lamp. 8)

Yes, the sound design is quite excellent--damn I'm getting impatient to get my DVD player back from Omaha, I've got MD, BV, FWWM, and TP Season 1 to watch!!!

I finally did read through all of the MD article this morning, he does a very nice job and there are some interesting comments too. While I don't think it's terribly important, my personal take on the timeline is that Diane has her dream in the days after Camilla's murder, not right at the moment she shoots herself.

Well I went to music warehouse to buy this dvd and got a little sidetracked! They sell PORN! Guess which one I wlaked out with?!? Ooops! :dunno:

haha, i just realized that "Mulholland Drive" needs no modification to become a silly pr0n movie name! you know - Mulholland Drive.... :roll:

just watched this again last night and wanted to come back and read this. pretty upsetting that even back when we were so into discussing this, all of two people cared enough to chat aboot it.

such a beautiful film. that is now the extent of my theory. i'm upset that i can't find the scan of the reference DVD thing i sent to mike, and it's been bumped off the front page of lynchnet. oh well.