The problem with Episode II

(No spoilers that I can think of)

Really comes down to the love story. I was talking about it with the wife last night after we saw it, and she liked most everything except the love scenes--they were so forced, there was no chemistry, etc etc. We went back to the first trilogy and thought about Han and Leia, how nicely their thing was developed throughout the films and how the old 'thrown together by true danger' worked so nicely in Empire. Yeah, I guess there's some supposed duress on Anakin and Amidala, but instead of really having them hate each other, then getting them into a few scrapes and finally having them relent to their true feelings, Lucas just plops them into romantic-looking CGI fields of flowers and Vienna-type settings and figures the rest will follow. My plan sounds cheesy, true, but it would've worked a lot better than what we get. If their romance is supposed to be central to the story, Lucas should've looked back to Han and Leia for some tips on how to build up some real chemistry. Since this is part of the new story arc, it's treated like a weary chore to get them together instead of a nice little romance. Sometimes I wonder if Lucas watches the original three at all...

well, isn't it always the "side love story" crap that ruins any movie? side love stories suck.

but, in this case, it's this story that is certral. so, here's my question for you:

is it the acting being flat that is responsible for the lack of visible chemistry between them, or is it the superb writing by Kasdan (first three) that's missing here?

should Lucas let someone else write/direct the next (final) episode?

Well, I think a lot of it has to do with the script, yes. In the first three, the intergalactic struggles were general good vs. evil stuff that served as a fine backdrop for a bunch of characters and their adventures; in these, there's so much plot to convey that the basic nuances of a good story get lost as so many things have to be covered...let's see, Anakin and Amidala have to hook up, the convoluted trade federation/clone thing has to be developed, OH and we've got to have 5 lightsaber battles and 4 spaceship chases...o.k. I'm getting a little away from the original point, but hopefully you see what I mean.

Back to the love story issues--Lucas obviously hasn't given his actors a lot of direction, and he also hasn't given them a very believable (perhaps believable in broad strokes, but not very well fleshed out) scenario in which to fall in love or any good lines to explain why they're falling in love. The guy he co-wrote this with did some Young Indiana Jones episodes or something; he could have done A LOT better in picking a collaborator. His contention about Kasdan was "he makes his own movies now," but I haven't seen a new Lawrence Kasdan film in about 9 years and have to think he could've gotten the guy or someone of his caliber to help with a rewrite.

All that bitching aside, I did enjoy a lot of things about the movie! There are some great action sequences, a few good exchanges between characters and a nice foreboding ending. And I was pleasantly suprised at how the clones kick into action--you'll see what I mean, it's a little disconcerting! I came to an important realization last night that helps with the new movies. It'll sound simple, but it's really true: They are a new set of movies with a different feel to them, and for the most part they don't and won't have the same feel of the originals. I'm trying to appreciate them based on their own merits, not saying "this one's a little closer to Empire, and it's got some Return of the Jedi moments" or whatnot. Given that fact, there's still some things that Lucas could have done better, and a better screenwriter would have gone a long way towards fixing that. However, I doubt these little issues of character and dialogue are going to be fixed anytime soon (only one left to make, after all), so I'm just gonna enjoy the duels and watching Darth Vader be born in Episode III.

Kasdan last wrote and directed "Mumford" a couple years back. But yeah, he doesn't do that much.

Lucas oughta get John Milius to do Episode III :)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.