MD!

Yeah I know what that means now!

Well I just watched 130 mins of a pretty intriguing movie. You paying attention? I meant 130 mins. What the hell happened when she opened the box?!?

All of sudden she's someone else in the past/ furure I DON"T KNOW! Just when it seems everything is getting tied together COCO's HIS fucking MOM! Here, I'm in the weenie burger shop "kill her" and tell me what the blue key opens. HAHAHAHAHAHA jokes on you BITCH, your lovers dead..... heres the guilty lil old people and if its not enough to blow your head off.... the blue hair lady will spit in your face!! :killer:

UGHHHHHH!!! Its been awhile since I've seen a Lynch film and might be longer for the next, but the pea-headed old man looked familiar. Was he in Come Fire Walk With ME?

First night alone in years so I rent some movies I know Mandy won't want to watch and now I can't believe I'm looking forward to be dissapointed by 13 Ghosts! :wah:

MD= Most Dillusional movie ever!!!! :mrgreen:

Um...not to be patronizing, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. And this'll be somewhat of an oversimplification too, but maybe it'll help with the movie: The ending, i.e. what happens after she opens the box, is her real world (told somewhat out of sequence in a fractured narrative, but basically jumping around to give the viewer the REAL story of her life in Hollywood). It's told with several Lynchian mindfuck flourishes, but it's what has really happened to her. Everything that preceeds it is her dreaming (remember the shot at the very beginning of the movie, the POV going down onto a pillow with some labored breathing on the soundtrack? That's showing her going to sleep, and then later we see her wake up and the 'real world' is back). She's re-imagining herself as a darling starlet in Hollywood who's got great potential, who's got a hot director falling for her with one look, etc etc. Many characters in her real life are re-cast in her dream in different roles based largely upon how she would have LIKED things to have gone for her. If you go back and watch it again, you'll see that he did a very nice job of tying the dream and the real together.

Hehehehehe....Alex thats not patronizing, but I was! I knew I missed sometihng to tie it all up in Lynch's special way with a match, some random thought etc. The scene I missed was the one of her putting her head down. Which, as you stated, ties everything together rather nicely. I don't know when that scene happened but you made it sound like it was early in the movie. If thats thats the case there is something strange. The DVD I rented had no "scenes", meaning I couldn't jump forward or backwards. I bring this up because when the hit-man shot his "brother" and the lady got bit by something "really bad"- :roflmao: (literally I hit the button on the remote and had to watch from the beginnig again). I know in his films you gotta watch for little things so I didn't mind too much. With that said I am 99% sure the movie I watched NEVER HAD THAT SCENE!

Oh well, thanks for the closure because now it makes sense. I was pretty pissed when I wrote the original message(I usaually don't miss these types of things), so I will probally watch it again at some point. But I'm sure the first 5 min. of the movie opened in the limo and ended with her In the airport.

I believe the movie starts with the following sequence: Jitterbug competition (that she mentions later, after waking up, at the party), head going down on pillow POV shot, then opening credits with the limo scene. I actually watched the DVD last week and it's certainly there (although the first time I saw the movie in the theater I was late and had to piece together what was going on without the benefit of that shot either!)

Alexhead wrote:Um...not to be patronizing, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. And this'll be somewhat of an oversimplification too, but maybe it'll help with the movie: The ending, i.e. what happens after she opens the box, is her real world (told somewhat out of sequence in a fractured narrative, but basically jumping around to give the viewer the REAL story of her life in Hollywood). It's told with several Lynchian mindfuck flourishes, but it's what has really happened to her. Everything that preceeds it is her dreaming (remember the shot at the very beginning of the movie, the POV going down onto a pillow with some labored breathing on the soundtrack? That's showing her going to sleep, and then later we see her wake up and the 'real world' is back). She's re-imagining herself as a darling starlet in Hollywood who's got great potential, who's got a hot director falling for her with one look, etc etc. Many characters in her real life are re-cast in her dream in different roles based largely upon how she would have LIKED things to have gone for her. If you go back and watch it again, you'll see that he did a very nice job of tying the dream and the real together.
well, that's a tidy little theory.

i finally got to see the film. watched it friday night. tried to watch it again immediately following that viewing, but was too tired. wanted to watch it saturday night as well, but it got to be too late.

quick thoughts:

this film was amazing. the things that happened in this film completely shot the pilot out of the water. it went places i would not have imagined, ever.

after viewing i immediately came here and read this thread, having ignored it when it was posted because i didn't want to be tainted when i saw the movie. i wish i had been current to participate in some of the discussions on this when it came out on Lynchnet, but oh well. i wasn't. anyway, i read this theory. i'm assuming that this is a popular explaination of the film.

but, of course, i have problems with this theory.

first of all, there are way too many things left unaccounted for with this theory. secondly, when has Lynch ever used the "it was all a dream" cop out? even at the end of Ronnie Rocket, it isn't exactly a "dream" per se - it's something completely different. but, that's the script that comes as close as he ever would IMO to using the "it was all a dream" thing.

there are way more pieces to this puzzle than that theory uses.

i have not prepared my full analysis yet, because i want to watch it about 20 more times before i do. at least a couple, anyway. :)

i'd be really curious to hear Mike's thoughts on this, since he has clearly seen the movie (and paid to see it at that) more times than anyone else on the planet and has remained pretty mum...

anyway, when i get my thoughts together, i'll post a full theory, don't worry. 8)

I think if you use a little dream logic (not to cop out, but to assist, let's say), then you'll see how a lot of things tie together beautifully. And yeah, it's not seamless, since it did begin as one thing and turn into something completely different...but anyway. I've seen it about 5 times now, so I feel pretty confident in my take on it. I recall it really clicking upon the 2nd viewing. Enjoy!