Re: To The Wonder

It apparently has provoked unintentional laughter. Oh well, at least Malick is being productive in his advancing years, unlike Lynch.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Can't help but wonder if Malick's doing his own version of an Inland Empire-style crawling up his own asshole...
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I've started it a few times and it usually puts me to sleep in less than 30 minutes.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I'm not holding it against the movie. I usually start it well into the evening when I plainly could stand to be more alert. Maybe someday I'll actually watch it before lunch or something.

I was just curious since I've been doing a bit of a Malick watching lately after getting the Criterion New World disc. I'd forgotten about the newer films. Sounds like I"m not missing much.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

At least he's working. I loved Tree of Life. Haven't seen this or Knight yet though.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Nah, I don't think he helped himself with that one. Although I guess there'll always be someone willing to fund a Malick - next film is German funded, German language, back to period drama and a proper script, looks good.

I think he helped himself plenty, and a massive majority of the critical and fan community has my back on it. A lovely impressionist meditation on the big questions.

Er, no, To The Wonder was a critical and commercial failure and this (combined with the failure of Knight of Cups, which I actually did like) is why he's having to come to Europe for funding. That'll work for a bit and then that funding will eventually dry up too, unless he has another hit - hence the return to more traditional script-based filmmaking for latest. I also sort of wonder if we'll ever see 'Weightless' as it appears to be more of the same.

klimov wrote:Er, no, To The Wonder was a critical and commercial failure and this (combined with the failure of Knight of Cups, which I actually did like) is why he's having to come to Europe for funding. That'll work for a bit and then that funding will eventually dry up too, unless he has another hit - hence the return to more traditional script-based filmmaking for latest. I also sort of wonder if we'll ever see 'Weightless' as it appears to be more of the same.
Sorry, was referring to Tree of Life, not this. This and Cups both received pretty mixed reviews, haven't seen either but am more interested in Cups myself.