Re: The Hateful Eight

BMD wrote:Quentin Tarantino Finds The Future Of Theatrical Exhibition In The Past
Details on the extended HATEFUL EIGHT cut playing roadshows only.

Today Hollywood is under assault by piracy and shrinking home video windows. It's harder to get people out of their house to pay money for a movie, and so the studios are leaning on spectacle to convince people they need to see a movie opening weekend and not wait for Netflix. The rise of 3D and Dolby Atmos and other presentation improvements are intended to convince people to see films in theaters and not torrent them on their laptops. The problems facing exhibition seem unprecedented, but they're actually old hat. The industry had similar problems in the 1950s, as TV threatened theatrical bottom lines. The studios fought back in similar ways: they leaned on spectacle (the historical epic with casts of thousands!) and they leaned on presentation improvements (this is why we have widescreen movies, because TVs used to be square). They also utilized the roadshow presentation format, a way of turning a night at the movies into a night at the theater.

Quentin Tarantino is going back to the roadshow format with The Hateful Eight, and he has revealed that he has cut two different versions of his movie - one that is six minutes longer and has a 12 minute intermission for the roadshow presentation and one for general audiences. The differences won't just be additional scenes; the actual editing of the picture is different in the roadshow version.

Talking to Variety Tarantino said:
“The 70 is the 70,” he said. “You’ve paid the money. You’ve bought your ticket. So you’re there. I’ve got you. But I actually changed the cutting slightly for a couple of the multiplex scenes because it’s not that. Now it’s on Showtime Extreme. You’re watching it on TV and you just kind of want to watch a movie on your couch. Or you’re at Hot Dog on a Stick and you just want to catch a movie.”

The sequences in question play in “big, long, cool, unblinking takes” in the 70mm version, Tarantino said. “It was awesome in the bigness of 70, but sitting on your couch, maybe it’s not so awesome. So I cut it up a little bit. It’s a little less precious about itself.”

That's exactly how the old roadshow presentations worked; films like Lawrence of Arabia would be longer and grander in their roadshow releases and then truncated for a general release.
The 70mm version will open in limited release two weeks before the shorter general audiences version. I hope that Tarantino includes other staples of the classic roadshow presentations: they had reserved seats and you got a souvenier program with your ticket. There would be an overture at the beginning as well. Traditionally there were few or no trailers or shorts - hopefully the roadshow Hateful Eight can play without ads up front.

This is an exciting way to make moviegoing an event. I think one of the reasons the Alamo Drafthouse is such a popular theater chain is that it makes moviegoing special - limited ads before films, strict no talking policy, a carefully curated pre-show that ties in to the feature, lobbies that have fun designs that aren't just about shilling the new releases. Going to an Alamo feels like going out, as opposed to the generally soulless experience of going to a generic multiplex. Tarantino understands this, understands that going to the movies can and should be exciting sometimes, should feel special and unique. Going to the movies shouldn't just feel like sitting in the noisy living room of someone with a bigger TV, it should feel like a night out on the town, an escape, a joy.

Of course not everyone will get to experience The Hateful Eight in its 70mm roadshow format. If you don't live in a town that supports this kind of event film presentation you should move now.

all i can say is i hope i get to see this in 70mm. other than that, my previous comment re: jackson stands. seems more like a time traveller in this. of course, if he's supposed to be an ancestor of jules, i guess that's intentional.

I gather no one's seen it yet.

A theater not far from my folks' house was showing a 70mm print when we visited this weekend. I briefly considered ducking out, but ultimately decided I couldn't justify ditching the family for 5 or so hours on a holiday weekend. And a late showing would've meant not getting to bed until well after 3 a.m., only a few hours ahead of the drive back home.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

stunningly beautiful. truly staggering. after so many years of seeing digital only, this makes me feel like i now know what i've been missing again. a roadshow program handed out upon entrance, an "overture" from morricone to signal the impending start of the feature, building directly into the film start (no trailers), stunning 70mm ultra panavision, a 12-minute intermission at the 1:40 mark, fin. hey studios - i'd pay double on the reg for this treatment. no joke. far better than 3D or even IMAX - 70mm celluloid please. last feature made in this format was 1966, according to the program.

we saw the 1145a showing and it was packed. as in, completely full. had we not gotten there 30 minute early, no chance of sitting anywhere reasonable. i take this as a good sign, and one i was not expecting. hopefully someone is paying attention and willing to continue this "experiment". according to the program, it took some loans of some serious antiques to make this happen. panavision lenses were refurbished and fitted for the cold for this, one of them the same as was used in the chariot sequence of ben hur.

when i was a projectionist in the early '90s, i remember one 70mm release (can't remember what it was right now) and it was very short run. i remember it was "upscaled" to screen on 70mm but was not shot in native format. it looked nothing like this.

i've read some of the horror stories of the experience of this film - sounds like inexperience and/or improper training lead to almost all of them - but our showing was flawless. apart from the natural "flaws" - a blip here, speck there, the flickering of 24f/s - again, probably the most gorgeous film i've seen. if you at all have any option to see this, go well out of your way to do so before it leaves. who knows when/if something like this will happen again.

thoughts on the film itself tomorrow. short version: i loved it. absolute blood bath with lots of LOL moments for me. not enough tim roth, who stole the show.

I caught the 70mm Roadshow last night, and it was really cool except that they didn't have any of the programs. I've seen people complain that the movie was too long and slow, but it didn't bother me at all. The picture was gorgeous, and the level of tension in the movie was intense. I really enjoyed the score too.

this movie has stuck with me. i can't wait to see it again. i'm sad that i likely won't get the chance to catch another 70mm showing but glad i got to once.

i predict this will grow to be tied with #1 as favorite QT film for me. it's part massive wintery expanse, part claustrophobic fear and tension. in that sense, yes - it's kind of an homage to the thing, even with kurt. so sure, it makes sense i love it - i love that film.

the more i think about this movie, the more i want to see it again.

that being said, i read things like this and this and just don't get it. yes, i realize that faraci tends to see everything through the same glasses, and that people in general will usually see what they are looking for, but i didn't get any grand statement on racism and/or police brutality from this film. seems to me that history tells us how things were shortly post-civil war, so it's not like QT is making this up, creating the tone and attitude for his own "profound statement on modern society" purposes. is the idea that it's no longer OK for people to make even marginally accurate period pieces? did i miss the day that publishers finally did remove "nigger jim" from tom sawyer? oh, QT has made it abundantly clear he has things to say in real life and no problem saying them, and he occasionally says them outright onscreen, but he didn't create the atmosphere of races toward each other that existed back then. what should he do in a period piece, ignore it? silly to project your current feelings onto this particular screen. next i'll be reading how the force awakens is really social commentary because it has an authority figure constantly chasing a black man, and has a white man spending the film trying to beat a woman.

anyway, apologies for the digression, but i want to make sure people don't think this is some preachy film - it's not, despite what you read. it's simply a fucking awesome fun fest. go see it.

also, big d note - i have an extra program, if you want it. PM me your address.

Kurt Russell destroys an antique guitar on loan from a museum while making the film. Something tells me it wasn't so much a miscommunication so much as Tarantino just didn't give a fuck.
Reverb wrote: Martin Responds to “Hateful Eight” Destruction of Antique Six String
Feb 04, 2016 by Chris McMahon

Reverb’s story “The Hateful Eight” Hates on Six Strings” contains information about the destruction of the priceless 145-years-old instrument that Dick Boak, director of the museum, archives and special projects for C.F. Martin & Co., says the company was not previously aware of.

In the film, John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror. However, the smashed guitar was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, rather than one of several copies on hand for the shoot.

“We were informed that it was an accident on set,” Boak says. “We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it. We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly. All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us. We didn’t know anything about the script or Kurt Russell not being told that it was a priceless, irreplaceable artifact from the Martin Museum.”

According to the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com, the scene was to be shot up to a certain point, a cut made, the guitar swapped out for a double and for the double to be smashed. “Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine,” Ulano said, as quoted in SSNInsider.com.

Further, Boak says that Martin did not offer a replacement, as stated in the SSNInsider.com. "As a result of the incident, the company will no longer loan guitars to movies under any circumstances,” Boak says.

To add insult to injury, Boak says the guitar was insured for its purchase price, which doesn’t reflect its value as an irreplaceable museum artifact. Boak also says that Martin requested that the pieces be returned for a possible restoration, not for inclusion in the Martin Museum as stated in SSNInsider.com. “Upon inspection of the pieces, we realized that the guitar was beyond fixing,” Boak said. “It’s destroyed.”

“We want to make sure that people know that the incident was very distressing to us,” Boak says. “We can’t believe that it happened. I don’t think anything can really remedy this. We’ve been remunerated for the insurance value, but it’s not about the money. It’s about the preservation of American musical history and heritage.”
Just cut them up like regular chickens

i wonder how many "okay"s his explanatory phone call had.

but in all fairness, he also used irreplaceable lenses and camera equipment and it came out fine. those were never in the hands of an actor.

That was the part of the movie in which I opted to slip out for a bathroom break. I didn't think I'd miss much. Hardly seemed like a moment in which Q was going to fart all over some irreplaceable antique.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Comicbook.com wrote: Quentin Tarantino Confirms Retirement After Two Final Films

Legendary director Quentin Tarantino confirmed that he will be calling it quits after completing his tenth film, which means that he will only be doing two more movies.

On Thursday at Adobe Max, the creativity conference held at the San Diego Convention Center, Tarantino said, "Drop the mic. Boom. Tell everybody. 'Match that sh*t.'"

The 53-year-old director revealed to the crowd that he is currently focusing on a historical nonfiction project, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Earlier this year, Tarantino teased a potential "Bonnie and Clyde-esque" tale set in Australia in the 1930's.

During the conference, moderator Ann Lewnes asked Tarantino what his personal definition of success might be.

"Hopefully, the way I define success when I finish my career is that I'm considered one of the greatest filmmakers that ever lived," Tarantino said. "And going further, a great artist, not just filmmaker."

The Django Unchained director also opened up about part of his creative methods. He explained that an integral step in his process when crafting the script involves taking a trip through his personal record collection.

"So much of [the movie's language] revolves around a sound or a song," he said. "Before I've started, I'm seriously thinking about the music. I'm listening to a track and picturing everyone at the Cannes Palais just loving it."

This isn't the first time that Tarantino has explained that he only wanted to make two more films. Many were not convinced, but the director confirmed those rumors today.

Earlier this summer at the Jerusalem Cinematheque in 2016, Tarantino stated regarding his future: "I'm planning on stopping at 10. So it'll be two more. Even if at 75, if I have this other story to tell, it would still kind of work because that would make those 10. They would be there and that would be that. But the one he did when he was an old f***ing man, that geriatric one exists completely on its own in the old folks' home and is never put in the same shelf next to the other 10. So it doesn't contaminate the other 10."

While Tarantino had back-to-back box office smashes with 2008 film Inglourious Basterds bringing in $120 million, and 2012's Django Unchained reeling in a career high $163 million; the director's most recent movie stumbled domestically. His 2015 whodunnit flick Hateful Eight brought in only $54 million in the United States. However, it did manage to add another $101 million internationally.

follow-up:
Reverb wrote:Martin Responds to “Hateful Eight” Destruction of Antique Six String

Reverb’s story “The Hateful Eight” Hates on Six Strings” contains information about the destruction of the priceless 145-years-old instrument that Dick Boak, director of the museum, archives and special projects for C.F. Martin & Co., says the company was not previously aware of.

In the film, John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror. However, the smashed guitar was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, rather than one of several copies on hand for the shoot.

“We were informed that it was an accident on set,” Boak says. “We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it. We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly. All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us. We didn’t know anything about the script or Kurt Russell not being told that it was a priceless, irreplaceable artifact from the Martin Museum.”

According to the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com, the scene was to be shot up to a certain point, a cut made, the guitar swapped out for a double and for the double to be smashed. “Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine,” Ulano said, as quoted in SSNInsider.com.

Further, Boak says that Martin did not offer a replacement, as stated in the SSNInsider.com. "As a result of the incident, the company will no longer loan guitars to movies under any circumstances,” Boak says.

To add insult to injury, Boak says the guitar was insured for its purchase price, which doesn’t reflect its value as an irreplaceable museum artifact. Boak also says that Martin requested that the pieces be returned for a possible restoration, not for inclusion in the Martin Museum as stated in SSNInsider.com. “Upon inspection of the pieces, we realized that the guitar was beyond fixing,” Boak said. “It’s destroyed.”

“We want to make sure that people know that the incident was very distressing to us,” Boak says. “We can’t believe that it happened. I don’t think anything can really remedy this. We’ve been remunerated for the insurance value, but it’s not about the money. It’s about the preservation of American musical history and heritage.”
purchase price? what was that, 50¢?

TC wrote:purchase price? what was that, 50¢?
Yeah, that seems like a massive oversight on their part. If Tarantino had any class he'd pay them for the cost of it's worth, but, well, Tarantino.