Re: The Walking Dead

Alexhead wrote:...but this show is what it is.
Yeah, absolutely, and I accept that. It's just that the people running and writing the show are not. They keep trying to do things with the characters and the story that they just aren't capable of doing. They want to inject depth and subtext, but every time they really go for it they fail miserably. It all ends up being trite at best, cheesy and cringeworthy at worst.

TC wrote: goat lives matter.
Truth.

The thing is, they've been doing this kind of hackneyed character work since the beginning. They have varying degrees of success, and I kind of got a kick out of Fincher's Zodiac Killer teaching Morgan the zen of peace or whatever the fuck. I liked how they rolled his backstory out. It was fine for me, but I really don't have high expectations of the show anymore, it's at a decent cruising altitude and can still deliver a jolt (LIKE THE JEN LYNCH EPISODE WHICH KICKED ALL SORTS OF ASS). But it's not going to ever have the nuance or style of any number of other shows, such as the increasingly impressive Fargo.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

ok, i think i've had enough with the laziness on this show.
they put on all the guts, but not [at all] on their necks, faces, hair, etc.? they have an infant that they expect to be quiet? carl was carrying judith, then suddenly was holding hands with everyone? i guess judith was floating. and what happened with carl and that other kid was fucking idiotic. carl doesn't say anything? ridiculous. but then it's coupled with moments that work great, like when glen sees maggie on the platform.
i hope they take advantage of this break to regroup and re-assess what the hell they're doing here.

I think Judith is strapped to Carl. As far as the rest goes, they're following several things that happened in the comics pretty closely, although the spot they chose to cut at was pretty anticlimactic. I dunno, like I keep saying, the show is what it is.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Finally caught up with this show.
So I can't be the only one out there hoping, nay praying, for that asshole kid to shoot Carl right in his non-acting, non-emotional ugly face? Right? I mean, he had him in his sights, for cryin' out loud! JUST PULL THE TRIGGER AND WE WOULD ALL BE BETTER OFF!!
God, I hate that character.

You will most likely get part of your wish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm not even sure what the character brings to the series at this point. I'd kind of forgotten he was there for a lot of the season. Might as well lighten the budget load by casting off some dead weight.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Hmm. The opening was bumpy, with the forced time jumps and b&w that are completely incongruous with the rest of the series and seem to have been imposed at the last minute to shift the action upfront (would be nice if a linear, full colour edit of that episode were to appear on blu-ray). Then the Jen L episode got things back on track, and I liked the idea of spreading a single day out over many episodes. The 'death' of Glenn was harsh and good and unexpected... And then it all started to go downhill. By mid-season break I'd have to say, yes, having gradually improved and reached a peak around the fourth season mark this is the first time the series is starting to look a little bit tired. But on the other hand, there is a sense of moving towards some sort of conclusion: Rick seeing off Negan and the Wolves, restoring and ruling over Alexandria, Rick dying in the penultimate episode but the town lives on - perhaps leap forward twenty years to show the adult Judith at the end: this would seem a fitting conclusion if they can get to that by the end of Season 7. But the viewing figures seem to be as high as they've ever been and given that the show is basically run by committee it'll probably drag on for a couple of seasons too many now.
Last edited by TC on 12/12/15, 07:30:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: USE THE SPOILER TAG OR DON'T POST

What spoiler is TC referring too? The usual rule is that you can't spoiler something that has already aired, right? And my comments about the 'ending' were pure speculation. That drawing of Carl is a much bigger spoiler.

12 seasons, yes, that doesn't sound good. But who knows, maybe they will come up with something.

klimov wrote:What spoiler is TC referring too? The usual rule is that you can't spoiler something that has already aired, right?
I'd say a couple of weeks at least, since this is 2015 and people don't watch stuff when it airs anymore. And here there are few enough of us that it's usually pretty easy to tell who's watching a show and if someone hasn't caught up yet. For instance I know TC takes a while to catch up with Arrow so I usually spoiler tag anything too major about that show.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

O-dot wrote:Producers have been talking about keeping the show going a total of 12 seasons.
That's the most horrifying thing I've ever heard in relation to TWD.

I hope the rising actor salaries cause them to come to their senses. Six seasons in, this thing ought to be looking for an exit. It's not a Game of Thrones, stocked with dozens upon dozens of fascinating characters and myriad plots to keep it fresh.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

they seem content to let story ideas and plot arcs drag on episode after episode. their style mimics the walkers perfectly. they're too up their own ass. there are no stakes, which they proved two or three episodes ago.

Well this is the problem with having no overall showrunner in command of the series, as they did with Weiner on Mad Men. Things improved when Darabont left no doubt, but now the company execs in charge will just keep the thing shuffling along until the viewing figures eventually plummet.