Re: The Walking Dead

As someone who's only mildly a fan of the flagship show, I'm surprisingly quite into the spinoff. Once the slow start got out of the way, it was riveting. If they keep this up, it will count me as a fan.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:As someone who's only mildly a fan of the flagship show, I'm surprisingly quite into the spinoff. Once the slow start got out of the way, it was riveting. If they keep this up, it will count me as a fan.
my fear now is that they will listen to all the people bitching and cave it, making it just another zombie show.

Episode 3 was a bit ho-hum; has the slide into blah already begun?

Also, I take it we're meant to think that
Blades has dealt with zombies before?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I thought it was great, a fine buildup to one of the best zombie horde sequences either show has done, and a lovely ending wherein they get to enjoy the spoils of the material world one last time before it all goes to shit. And even then, had to off one of their group, no escaping the inevitable.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I'll admit, I enjoyed these six episodes far more than the entire run thus far of the flagship show. But it also shares some of the same problems - namely, over-earnest performances, characters who are more types than believable people, and writing that takes 45 minutes to get an idea across when 10 would suffice. Somehow, Fear is managing a better batting average. For how long, I couldn't say.

It's been noted that the events of Fear are unfolding during the equivalent of Grimes' coma on the flagship show. And that in the timeline of TWD, only about a year and a half has passed since the outbreak. So when do our heroes run out of gasoline and ammo? I know that's a routine, nitpicky thing to harp on. But really. That stuff isn't infinite.

O-dot wrote:So when do our heroes run out of gasoline and ammo? I know that's a routine, nitpicky thing to harp on. But really. That stuff isn't infinite.
i'd say it kind of is if what we're seeing is a good percentage of survivors. i mean, 318MM down to (at max) a couple hundred?

Yeah, considering the proliferation of firearms in this country and in the south in particular (I'd be willing to bet) there should be tons of ammo for the people who know what to do with it who are left, and by the same logic a lot of gas stations should still have product available for the scant number of cars now using it. The thing that gets me, though, is when are their cars going to break down? I see some crappy late model US automotive finery on display and know from personal experience that that shit breaks down all the time.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote: The thing that gets me, though, is when are their cars going to break down? I see some crappy late model US automotive finery on display and know from personal experience that that shit breaks down all the time.
Why, they're merely cutting out all the scenes of Daryl fixin' 'em up.

On that note, I really don't get the wholesale geekery that has arisen over Daryl. So he has a crossbow and scowls. Big whoop.

+ The kick off things with a bang this time. Seems like they won't drag on with nothing happening for the first couple of episodes like they have done in the past.
+ Some actually half-solid acting in this episode.

- Really awful effects all over the place. I'm talking Escape from L.A. quality of awfulness.
- They could have done more with connecting this episode with what happened in the final moments of the last season.
- Carl is still alive.

_Marcus_ wrote:- Really awful effects all over the place. I'm talking Escape from L.A. quality of awfulness.
It's just going to get worse every year as more money goes to the actor's salaries. Unless they kill off a couple of the main ones to save some cash. But they're running out of original core ones to knock off.
_Marcus_ wrote:Carl is still alive.
Speaking of original actors we could let go to save money...
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I thought the effects were fine, no other way to do a mass of zombies like that and hey, it's a t.v. show, I expect to see a few of those. I still think last season probably had the best premiere episode they'll ever do. As far as fans going ga-ga over Daryl, I'd apply that slavish fanboy shit to just about anything on the show. Flip side was fandom's relentless hatred of a couple of female characters in the early going, that got pretty nauseating.

Kinda sad that Jennifer Lynch was the one who got to do the first filler episode. She sure loves her gory details and her camera setups sometimes reminds you of her father. I would have loved to see her get a more interesting episode, but hey - at least she keeps herself busy.

Are you guys being postmodern or something? That episode was fucking great! If the Wolfpack attacking people with psychotic blade power is a filler episode, gimmie more filler. Lynch killed (har) it in my book. Oh and the zombie who eats Enid's Mom at the beginning? Her husband Jim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.