darkness wrote:I can't speak to the Megadeth album, but Batman Beyond was an average movie at best. Trying to bring Batman into the real world was a big mistake. Let's face it, the Batman series peaked with Batman Returns.
You go face it, I'll stay on this side and regard it as one of the best Superhero movies. :)

This was Batman Begins by the way, Batman Beyond is something else.
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

Eh, still doesn't hold a candle to Serenity.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Well, there are several Serenity comics...but the broader Sci-Fi/Action/Fantasy genre film in 2005 comparison is more of what I was shooting for.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Well, there are several Serenity comics...but the broader Sci-Fi/Action/Fantasy genre film in 2005 comparison is more of what I was shooting for.
Depends, on a personal level, I'll gladly except never having a Batman movie again, if Serenity / Firefly is continued, on a pure filmmaking and production level, I say Batman Begins is ahead of Serenity, of course having triple the budget does help a lot. ;)
-Truman Capote

Serenity is the best example of a well planned story and well directed actors in this genre that's come along in years. People who bitch about the effects crack me up, since we've already been so overloaded with them since the original Star Wars that none of them look good to me anymore anyway. Oh, and for what they are they look FINE.

(not bitching at you, I know you're a fan).

Alexhead wrote:Serenity is the best example of a well planned story and well directed actors in this genre that's come along in years. People who bitch about the effects crack me up, since we've already been so overloaded with them since the original Star Wars that none of them look good to me anymore anyway. Oh, and for what they are they look FINE.
Yah, but we were comparing it to Batman Begins, which uses less effect shots than any other comic or sci-fi movie recently. Serenity's effects are amazing for the little budget the production had, and they are used to great effect.
Alexhead wrote:(not bitching at you, I know you're a fan).
Indeed. Batman's story already was told mutliple times, and I still get a kick out of the character even after so many years, but Serenity/Firefly is an untold story with so much potential. I am glad that Whedon is using every medium he has access to, to not let the signal be stopped. ;)
-Truman Capote

Re: [Movie] Batman Begins

this thread is hilarious.

anyway...
DH wrote:Nolan Talks "Batman Begins" One-Off Monologue

Back in 2004, the last time Batman had been on the big screen was the camp silliness of "Batman and Robin". At the time a British filmmaker named Chris Nolan, who had a few promising films under his belt, was enlisted to do something that was still a quite uncommon thing at the time - to reboot the franchise.

The result was 2005's "Batman Begins," a film that remains the text book case of how to do both a reboot and an origin story right. Long before its release, our first glimpse at the movie was an enigmatic teaser which had no shots of Batman whatsoever aside from a still at the very end. Instead it was a moody piece boasting a dark monologue by Christian Bale, a speech that actually didn't end up in the final film.

Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, participated in a Reddit thread recently where he revealed the speech remains one of his favorite things he wrote for the trilogy but it didn't work in the film's context. In fact it was made deliberately so dark and bleak to try and avoid the comparisons to the previous movies:

"I wrote this in a couple hours in my brother's trailer while he was shooting the scene in which Bruce is arrested for stealing Wayne corp supplies on his 'journey.' Remains some of my favorite writing from these films. Was written specifically for the trailer. Wouldn't have worked in the film."

Of course the film, which was penned by David Goyer and Chris Nolan, went on to kick off the most critically acclaimed superhero trilogy pretty much ever made. Jonathan Nolan is currently at work on HBO's ambitious new sci-fi western series "Westworld".
[youtube][/youtube]

Re:

Alexhead wrote: Still probably (outside of Serenity, of course) about the best flick I'll see this summer, and if the stars align to bring Nolan and cast back for our introduction to the Joker and a deep, dark look into Arkham Asylum, we could very well be in for a geek classic.
Jesus I'm brilliant.

darkness wrote:I stand by my statement regarding Batman Begins. But Dark Knight, flaws and all, probably is the new pinnacle of Batman. Too bad they flushed it all down the toilet in the next film.
True Dat. It remains the definitive graphic novel-level film, and Rises is really just a mess, no matter how much slack I cut it. I shouldn't totally slam it because I do like some things about it but it kind of gets a little worse each time you see it.

but i will never forget the first time seeing batman begins and realizing that a real batman film actually could be done. i mean, the last time we saw him on screen, he was fast-quipping with arnold and had nipples.

Alexhead wrote: Rises is really just a mess, no matter how much slack I cut it. I shouldn't totally slam it because I do like some things about it but it kind of gets a little worse each time you see it.
It's a textbook mixed bag. So much so that I'd rather they had just left things with the first two films.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:but i will never forget the first time seeing batman begins and realizing that a real batman film actually could be done. i mean, the last time we saw him on screen, he was fast-quipping with arnold and had nipples.
A valid point. But really there was no where but up to go after the pastel toy commercial Schumacher left us with.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

You know, I will not defend Batman & Robin by any stretch — of course it's a terrible movie. But honestly, I still rated it higher than Batman Forever, as long as we're discussing Schumacher.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Batman Forever is certainly where the wheels started going off the track and like Batman and Robin not a film I want to watch again. But I'll give it a slight nudge higher for less campy dialog (yes, there is some, but not as much) and lack of nipples. Also slightly better acting from Kilmer than Clooney.
Just cut them up like regular chickens