Re: Hannibal: The Series

Agreed. Noonan's Dollarhyde never really horrified me either. Armitage=horrifying. He was rocking the AntiDaredevil look this week, it was perfect.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Well they stuck the landing, no surprise there. Se7en, Psycho and of course Sherlock Holmes shoutouts were delightful, as was the consummation of the bromance. I really like how they chucked canon out the door for the ending, and crafted something that was just perfectly in keeping with the show's themes and character development. I was a bit angered earlier when Will did not, in fact, capture Hannibal, as he famously does in the books, but the way it wraps up that seems very nicely handled in retrospect. RIP Hannibal and Will, hope somehow we get to see you again.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

was so unexpected, their ending. but perfect and wonderful. and the tag, wow - THAT was unexpected.
after everything, she was waiting to serve him so she could spend as much more time with him as possible. wow.
perfect, dark endings for a perfect show. fuck people who canceled this moving artwork.

Fuller's post mortem interviews have been VERY interesting on that tag. Everyone is interpreting it similarly to you (myself included), but apparently
he very much wants you to think she is not alone, and she is not the one who did this. He notes her look of fear and her hiding her fork in her lap as a possible weapon.

And he's also spoken effusively about NBC increasingly allowing him to do whatever the fuck he wanted to do, despite it being a ratings nightmare. I honestly don't think NBC is to blame, he seems to repeatedly indicate they're ones to thank. His bit on the standards and practices gal helping him get the gore they needed is indicative of that.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... ingle-page

Alexhead wrote:Fuller's post mortem interviews have been VERY interesting on that tag. Everyone is interpreting it similarly to you (myself included), but apparently
he very much wants you to think she is not alone, and she is not the one who did this. He notes her look of fear and her hiding her fork in her lap as a possible weapon.
wow again.
was wondering wtf they would do if amazon/netflix said "hey, how about S4?" but c'mon, he's not jason voorhees. that was a crazy fall with a pretty serious injury. still, i do hope it somehow continues.

Alexhead wrote:And he's also spoken effusively about NBC increasingly allowing him to do whatever the fuck he wanted to do, despite it being a ratings nightmare. I honestly don't think NBC is to blame, he seems to repeatedly indicate they're ones to thank. His bit on the standards and practices gal helping him get the gore they needed is indicative of that.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... ingle-page
awesome interview. great to hear fuller like that. i love this:
Raul is so game for anything and everything. The highlight of our gag reels is Raul Esparza in that makeup cracking everybody up, breaking into song, doing the character that Jim Carrey did on "In Living Color," Fire Marshal Bill.
i hope that makes the blus, would be amazing.

Alexhead wrote:Here's another good 'un:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... ry-twitter
very together and self-aware answer while indicting the industry:
From that perspective, I guess it’s pretty impressive that they stuck with you this long. Although by the end they did take away the “Next week on Hannibal” promos, which I thought was weird. It’s like they were saying “Look, don’t get attached.”

They were servicing their new shows. They knew exactly who was going to be watching [next week’s Hannibal], and that number was not going to move. It’s a very strange time in television, because people are still holding on to the old ways, even though everyone knows that they don’t work. You look at broadcast television — when we moved to Saturdays [in the U.S.] but were still airing on Thursdays in Canada, we kept our audience numbers the first week, and then the second week they dropped by half, because the audience realized that they could BitTorrent it after Thursday night and watch it then.

A big portion of our audience watches the show illegally, because once it airs in one place, people put it online and everyone has access to it. It’s a really challenging situation, because what networks seem to not be realizing is that they can’t control when their audience watches the show. The audience is passionate and they’re going to find the show and get it as soon as they possibly can. And that means seeing it illegally. If all the people who watched Hannibal illegally, watched legally, we would have much healthier numbers and we’d probably still be on the air. But until networks realize that everything has to be day-and-date — like, everybody has to see it simultaneously, that’s the only way to combat piracy.

Netflix figured that out. Here it is. You don’t have to pirate it because we’re giving it all to you right now. We have a very active, rabid fan base. I mean we trend every Saturday on Twitter. It’s wonderful how active and committed the fan base is to the show. But that doesn’t translate to the old way of doing things. Until we crumple that up and throw it out the window, and say, This is how we’re measuring things, and we’re going to put commercials on piracy sites — until they figure out a way to monetize those illegal experiences and bring them into the fold of legal viewing, we’re going to see shows die early deaths because the numbers on paper don’t reflect the passion of the audience. It’s a tricky situation. I’m curious to see when they’ll make the shift into the modern day. Because they’re still using standards that are 50 years old.

Was that an issue even before the move to Saturdays?

We were frequently in the top-five most-pirated shows. And most of the fans that approach me tell me they watch it illegally. But it’s not entirely fair to blame it on piracy. I think we were canceled before they moved us to Saturday. Ultimately, like I said, the show is very niche. It is not a broadcast television show, based on its subject matter. And NBC tried it, and it was a noble effort. Now we’ve gotta see if the industry is going to evolve.
same is true all around, not just television. i'm with him. i mean, if i don't watch what i DVR'd within what, 3 days, it doesn't contribute to the numbers? (also, i'm FF through commercials). ridiculous. i wait until i have a full season sometimes and plow through it. viewing habits have changed, time to figure out how to deal with it. or maybe don't base your schedule on ratings alone - as he said, trending on twitter. so, look at how people are talking about it, not just "are their TVs on when it's scheduled to air".

We only got through the first two episodes of season 3 before other obligations interfered. It may be months now before we get caught up. I'm dying to see it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

As noted above, Hannibal's version of Red Dragon is now, easily the definitive one for me. Best Dolarhyde by a mile. I was never hugely scared of Noonan, and I won't even bother with the Ratner POS. Armitage is downright horrifying. Avoid spoilers about the ending if you can, it is definitely different than canon but so well done and in keeping with the show's themes and developments, it's great.

the 2015 emmys last night - the "shows that ended" montage did not mention or show hannibal once. justified has one scene flash by. no nominations for hannibal. fucking ridiculous. happy with some of the winners, but how they overlook this show is fucking baffling. it's sheer art.

Nerdist wrote:Bryan Fuller Talks HANNIBAL Season 4 Plans

Steely Dan might be reeling in the years, but most of us Fannibals are still reeling from the sting of having lost our favorite show about a cannibal and his best friend, a super troubled profiler. It’s strange to think that it’s been close to two full years since Hannibal last aired, after being cancelled by NBC. And now that creator Bryan Fuller is off running American Gods, it’s not as though he’ll have time to revive our favorite strain of Lecter/Graham fraternal flirtation someplace else, right? Well, not necessarily. A recent interview with Fuller keeps hope alive yet again.

Fuller was a guest on the excellent podcast Post Mortem with Mick Garris, where the writer, director, and producer talks to the biggest luminaries in horror and genre cinema (you can read my interview with Mr. Garris right here). It was a great conversation, and there’s quite a lot about Fuller’s history with Star Trek and of course American Gods, but it was the discussion about Hannibal that proved most intriguing…because a fourth season isn’t as dead as we might have thought.

“I have conversations with Martha DeLaurentiis,” Fuller revealed, “I have conversations with Mads [Mikkelsen] and Hugh [Dancy]; we’re all excited about the prospect of returning to the story. There’re some hurdles to get through. The rights revert back to Martha in September, I believe, and then it’s a matter of: do we do it with Gaumont? Which would be the only way to do it if we wanted to use those characters.”

Earlier in the interview, Fuller had mentioned how DeLaurentiis owned the rights to the Thomas Harris book Red Dragon, as well as the later books Hannibal and Hannibal Rising, but MGM owned the rights to The Silence of the Lambs–hence why the show was unable to use characters like Clarice and Buffalo Bill. I get the sense from the above quote that the French studio that co-produced the series are essential to getting Silence of the Lambs brought in to the TV fold.

Fuller did bring up a storyline that he wants to use in a possible season four that would solidify his stance on meat, be it human or animal. “There’s a whole storyline that I want to do with Katharine Isabelle’s character, Margot Verger, who now is the mother of the Verger heir and in control of the Verger meatpacking industry.” Fuller says he wants Verger to be like a Joan Crawford at Pepsi, take-no-crap type of spokesperson. I wanted her to… humanize all the Verger meatpacking plants and turn them over to PETA-approved [authority]. That would definitely be marbled through the season, Margot Verger taking down the meat industry as a hot, powerful lesbian.”

Come on, powers that be, just make Hannibal season four happen! Everybody wants it.