Re: Evil Dead TV

klimov wrote:Can only be good if this finally gets you lot watching Starz!
I can't forgive Starz for that god awful Torchwood Miracle Day. Even with RTD at the helm us Americans still managed to fuck up the whole thing somehow.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I watch movies on Starz all the time, and am currently watching Party Down, which is a very solid comedy. I'll be honest though, I just don't have enough hours in the day for the legit and wannabe "high quality serialized cable network dramas." They're hitting a saturation point these days.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Black Sails is the essential one. Outlander is really silly and yet good fun, and has cross-gender appeal. Arguably, Starz have been re-defining period drama since Spartacus, showing that it can be thrilling, unrepentantly graphic and entirely un-PC. AMC remains the better network overall, except their policies on nudity and bad language are hypocritical and restrictive and a frequent reminder that one is watching a television show. HBO are just getting weaker by the year. They seem to be hiring Hollywood stars for everything these days - an unwelcome turn of events if you ask me, as the ability to launch a fairly big-budget show without big names and years of casting is one of the major appeals of TV - and yet this seems to be compensation for an increasing creative redundancy. Apart from GoT, which I've yet to watch beyond the pilot, Silicon Valley seems to me their only good show atm (ironically, one of their few without a big name cast).

klimov wrote:Apart from GoT, which I've yet to watch beyond the pilot, Silicon Valley seems to me their only good show atm (ironically, one of their few without a big name cast).
Also Veep. Also Last Week Tonight,VICE and their summer documentary series.

We don't get the news/doc stuff over here so can't say about that. Veep is okay... Haven't bothered to watch the new season yet. But yes, comedy is def HBO's strong point (Curb still probably their best ever show).

Just saw The Brink pilot, which was a pretty hilarious 'Dr. Strangelove 2015' update, we'll keep watching. The Jinx put a rich murder suspect behind bars, and it was entertaining as hell in the process. True Detective continues to be the best noire on the small screen. The Leftovers may end up as Lindeloff's primary calling card as far as quality output goes. Game of Thrones is the ultimate LOTR for grownups, and it earns the title consistently. You could probably plug in 3-6 more shows I don't even watch that everyone else loves. I mean, I know you're Captain Contrary and all but trying to say Starz (seriously? It ends in the letter Z, just to start with) and AMC (the definition of a sophomore slump network after 2-3 early hits) are better than HBO, FX, and even NBC's foray into high end t.v. with Hannibal just kind of makes you look dumb for Opposite Day's sake. Tell us why we should give a shit about Black Sails and Halt and Catch Fire, don't just tell us they're great because you think so. You lost that benefit of the doubt circa 1997.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

[split] You Americans need to watch Starz

NBC, really? Aside from Law and Order which is more like comfort food at this point (I've been watching it for the last 25 years, I might as well continue) than must see tv and the Blacklist, which started wandering aimlessly last season, I can't think of a single NBC show worth watching now that Constantine has been canceled.

They're good at comedy, as I have conceded. The news/doc/reality stuff doesn't travel or have value outside the US, as I said. True Detective is overrated emo nonsense and I think folks are finally starting to realise this with Season 2 (the quality of the direction somewhat obscured this in Season 1, so they got rid of the director to save money!). The Leftovers is probably the most annoying show on TV. GoT, yes, yes... That's their one and only big drama calling card, and it's very popular I acknowledge, although I don't watch it myself (dragons). HBO's only good drama, The Knick, is broadcast on Cinemax, which says it all really.

Starz are a smaller network and don't have as many shows, but what I like is the ethos and quality of the shows they do put out. In Black Sails and Outlander (and previously Spartacus) there's a violent pulp amorality that reminds me of 70s grindhouse, yet with the ambition and sweep of a 90s period epic. Power is okay too, if a bit more rote. Basically, if I was doing my own show Starz would be first port of call (Starz = Anchor Bay, nb.).

As for AMC, come on... The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Turn, Halt & Catch Fire and previously Mad Men, Breaking Bad, all of these shows crap on any drama HBO has to offer. Unlike the HBO dramas they're not trying to flog the viewer a mood, not trying to explore some intensely middlebrow concept, but instead just focusing on strong shaded characterisation, good acting, good pacing and tight, engaging plotting. And a few dismembered zombies of course (but I'll take that over the dragons anytime).

darkness wrote:NBC, really? Aside from Law and Order which is more like comfort food at this point (I've been watching it for the last 25 years, I might as well continue) than must see tv and the Blacklist, which started wandering aimlessly last season, I can't think of a single NBC show worth watching now that Constantine has been canceled.
"NBC's foray into high end t.v. with Hannibal." Not the network as a whole.

I think I'll check out AMC's new thing Human if it gets decent reviews, but I haven't seen any enthusiastic response for quite possibly t.v.'s worst titled drama currently airing, Halt and Catch Fire, or Turn. Walking Dead is perilously close to having Rick jump a shark tank with his motorcycle to save the diner, Mad Men and Breaking Bad are both great, and both history (shit, you haven't even SEEN Breaking Bad, which is the best show they've ever aired), so we're left with Saul as their contender for awesome t.v. And I'll admit, I don't like much fantasy stuff either but Game of Thrones is next level stuff, with very few appearances of dragons (although they tend to count). Anyway, we've had this discussion several times already. You can have AMC, I'll take HBO and FX.

Alexhead wrote:No idea what that picture is supposed to be.
It took me a while to make it out and once I did I wished I hadn't. I suppose that's pretty bold for basic cable though.

Just some dude whipping his junk out? Very impressive, the bar has indeed been raised.

Don't expect much from Humans. It's a typical Brit drama, two episodes in over here already, based around a conveniently cheap sci-fi concept with the thin characterisation and PC cowardice one can dependably expect from such things. AMC is just a co-producer and I've no idea why they're involved really. Well actually I do - some cheap content to keep the airwaves full over the summer. Anyway, Turn and Halt & Catch Fire are on another level entirely. Both took a little while to get going, which may explain the lower audience pick-up rates. Walking Dead is as good as it's ever been imho. Fear the Walking Dead coming soon...

Geez, you're developing brand loyalty like a Marvel fanboy who only wears Nike when he goes to Starbucks 8)

Re: [split] You Americans need to watch Starz

Heh, we quite liked Humans and will continue watching. It does have that drab gray veneer of UK t.v. that is usually a turnoff, but I like sci fi centered around the singularity so we'll see where it goes.