Re: Captain America

Alexhead wrote:
darkness wrote:First one was solid and true to the character without going overboard in being silly (he doesn't punch Hitler in the film).
Of course he does--and they handle it the best possible way you could.
Lol, I meant the real one.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Saw Winter Soldier tonight. It wasn't quite as good as the first one. The story is a bit weak and it's much more an action showpiece than the first one. The second half drags a bit. The original film was more about setting up things for The Avengers, this one is more about tying up loose ends from the first one, as well as other bits of the Marvel universe. Even Dr. Strange gets a name check at one point. And the post credits scene for this one is a must see as it leads in to Avengers 2. The second post credits sequence I suspect leads to Captain America 3.

Probably marketing. Maybe the Avengers made a crapload of money over there but they are concerned something with America in the title won't sell as well, so they added Avenger to the title to give it a bit of a boost.

I saw it, generally agree with Mike's take although I might give it a hair more credit as the action sequences are probably some of the best, if not the best, in any of the Marvel movies so far, at least as far as gun and fistfights go. Having kept up on the SHIELD t.v. show with the kids, it was fun to see how they tied directly into that (Sitwell was in last week's episode, even) and will be interesting to see what happens there going forward considering the events of the film.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

saw this yesterday. IMAX 3D. IMAX is always good, the 3D was unnoticable and pointless. the film was pretty good for an action film. didn't see the first one so can't compare. lots of nice references for anyone looking, i won't spoil any here. it's the next day now and really not much has stuck with me from it, frankly.
i don't really understand the shrieking noise during the bucky scene (post-credits 2). don't know where they were going with that. pretty cool x-men tie in in the first post-credits scene, as mike said.
all of the trailers for this film - other than maleficent and guardians of the galaxy - were films that i know i will be seeing in the theater. going to be a busy may. but it occurred to me, after what, 6-7 trailers, that not one - NOT ONE - represented any original content. every single one was based on something else. x-men, spider-man, godzilla, transformers, the two already mentioned.... not a fucking one. sad. i now await the snarky self-aware film about the struggling screenwriters that can't sell original content so they start sarcastically writing sequels and "based-on" stuff to eventually get their original content made.

Yeah, I mean, Hollywood is all about the familiar tentpoles anymore. Alamo (where we saw it) is running a 'Class of '84' marathon this month, where they're showing Temple Of Doom, Buckaroo Banzai, Purple Rain and others. A nice reminder that we grew up when a lot more chances were taken.

You should see Cap 1, it's a fun little period piece action flick.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Filming has stared on Civil War. You'd think they'd give the cast more of a break after just finishing the Avengers press. Guess not.
Coming Soon wrote:Marvel Studios Reveals Captain America: Civil War Synopsis, Confirms Cast
By Spencer Perry ON May 7, 2015

Marvel Studios has commenced principal photography at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta, Georgia on Captain America: Civil War, the third installment of its Super Hero franchise. The production will shoot on location in Atlanta, Georgia, which serves as the base for the film’s production, as well as locations in Germany, Puerto Rico and Iceland.

Set for release in the United States on May 6, 2016, Captain America: Civil War is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo (Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, “Community”) from a screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely (Captain America: The Winter Solider, Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger). The film returns Chris Evans as the iconic Super Hero character Steve Rogers/Captain America along with Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Paul Bettany as The Vision, Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye, Don Cheadle as Jim Rhodes/War Machine and Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch.

After his debut in Marvel’s Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Paul Rudd will make his first appearance alongside the Avengers as Scott Lang/Ant-Man in Captain America: Civil War.

The cast of the film also includes Chadwick Boseman (42, Get on Up) as T’Challa/Black Panther, Emily VanCamp (“Revenge”) as Sharon Carter/Agent 13, Daniel Brühl (Inglourious Basterds, Bourne Ultimatum) as Baron Helmut Zemo, Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow/Crossbones, William Hurt (Marvel’s The Incredible Hulk) as General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey).

Captain America: Civil War picks up where Avengers: Age of Ultron left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War is produced by Marvel Studios’ president, Kevin Feige, with Louis D’Esposito, Alan Fine, Victoria Alonso, Patricia Whitcher, Nate Moore and Stan Lee serving as executive producers.

Directors Joe and Anthony Russo’s creative team also includes director of photography Trent Opaloch (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Elysium), production designer Owen Paterson (Godzilla, The Matrix), and three time Oscar-nominated costume designer Judianna Makovsky (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone).

It has all the Avengers except Hulk and Thor, yet it's still called Captain America? :dunno:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

They're Marvel. Apparently they can do whatever they want.

Boy, if people are thinking Age of Ultron is a goat fuck when it comes to character overload, this one will take it to a whole new level.

It could work if they're not trying to give them all screen time. Since this isn't an Avengers movie hopefully they'll just be there at the start to kick off whatever crisis gets the government in an uproar and then the other characters will take over. Though I would point out that Infinity War was only 6 issues with 29 crossovers and it's getting two movies plus all the stuff in the previous films laying the groundwork for it, whereas Civil War was 7 issues with 80 crossovers and they're squeezing it all into one. That doesn't bode well.

They have done a pretty good job so far of appropriating storylines from the comics that were good but making wholesale changes as needed or wanted, so I'm not that worried (I didn't read Civil War but have read a lot of negative fan feedback on the specifics and execution, so if it's quite a bit different aside from the broad concept maybe that's a good thing).

The official full list cast list for Civil War was finally released, though Spidey's actor was still kept under wraps. We already knew most of this, but here are the major players (don't read if you're spoiler paranoid I guess):

Chris Evans as Captain America (duh)
Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man
Sebastian Stan as Bucky aka The Winter Soldier
Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther
Anthony Mackie as Falcon
Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow
Paul Bettany as Vision
Don Cheadle as War Machine
Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch
Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye
"Unknown" as Spider-man
Paul Rudd as Ant-man
Frank Grillo as Crossbones
Daniel Bruhl as Baron Zemo
William Hurt as General Thaddeus E. "Thunderbolt" Ross
Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter
Martin Freeman as Everett Ross
and Jerry Mathers as The Beaver

And guess who was spotted on set yesterday...Mark Ruffalo. This movie is going to be batshit.