Re: Recent movie playlist

Heh, was just telling my wife last night about how the studio tried to tell the guy who wrote Forrest Gump that, sorry, no big profits for you because the movie didn't actually make money. Gotta love Hollywood accounting.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Heh, was just telling my wife last night about how the studio tried to tell the guy who wrote Forrest Gump that, sorry, no big profits for you because the movie didn't actually make money. Gotta love Hollywood accounting.
Return of the Jedi has never technically made a profit. Think about all the times it was re-released theatrically and released on various home video formats over and over again and let that one sink in. Especially considering Lucasfilm doesn't make a whole lot of other films so there's not a lot of other budgets to steal expenses from. Maybe the janitors on the ranch all make $500k a year.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I finally watched the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street today. The Nightmare films were a guilty pleasure of mine growing up. This new one managed to be both pointless and dull at the same time. Even before the series started down the camp road in Nightmare 3, Englund owned the role. Haley never seems to find it. Nothing new is brought to the story. Thank you Hollywood for another pointless remake.

What We Do in the Shadows

A film about four vampires living together in Wellington and being filmed by a documentary crew. From Jermaine Clement and the rest of the guys behind Flight of the Concords and Eagle vs Shark, so it was no surprise it was completely hilarious. Rhys Darby's in it too, of course, and just kills it every second he's on screen.

If you have no idea who these guys are, check it out anyway.

I made it through 2/3 of Fifty Shades of Grey today. It has all the hallmarks of a Lifetime woman in distress tv movie. If I hadn't known already where it was going I would have assumed by the second act of the film Christian would be cutting her off from her friends, controlling her life and smacking her around a bit. Which is essentially what happened really, so yeah, a lifetime tv movie. In addition to sharing plot elements from them, it also shares awful acting and horribly written dialog. As has been mentioned in most reviews of the film there is zero chemistry between the two leads. Also they read their lines as if they're half asleep. As an extra bonus the ice cube sex scene from 9 1/2 weeks is ripped off almost shot for shot, except the director somehow manages to make it about as erotic as reading out of the phone book. If you're looking for steamy sex there's none to be found here. I've seen better sex scenes in high school biology films. Certainly don't look to it for an accurate representation of a bdsm lifestyle. Christian Grey is the kind of wanna-be dom people put warnings out about on fetlife. This film deserves every negative review and thing you've heard about it, and then some.

Watched Rosewater this afternoon. Stewart is a competent director, but that's really all I can say. Nothing remarkable. There's not much to the story either. Best thing I can say for the film is it got John Oliver his own tv show.

We watched Nightcrawler last night (and skipped Rosewater because we figured what you said might be the case). Entertaining look at the depraved world of tabloid freelance cameramen, and Gyllenhal is a well conceived and highly creepy character.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I saw '71 at the Alamo the other night. It seems to be a pretty limited release that not too many have heard about, but I enjoyed it. It's about a British soldier stuck in Belfast after a riot in 1971, and he's trying to get back to the barracks and doesn't know who to trust. Very suspenseful, several twists and turns along the way. It definitely has an anti-war message without hitting you over the head with it like Thin Red Line. Lots of handheld shaky cam shots that give you then sense of being in the action without being too distracting with lots of jump cuts. I saw it compared to the continuous shot in Children of Men, and it has that feel of putting you there in the thick of things. Well acted, lots of authentic-sounding British and Irish accents (at least to my American ears). I was still thinking about the movie the next day, which is a good sign. I recommend it.

Taken 3: Let me start off by saying that no one was Taken in this film. So it doesn't even live up to the promise of the namesake. Otherwise, a pretty unnecessary entry to the series. Shit blows up, people are killed, Liam Neeson does his usual and when it's all over the film is kind of a blur and quickly forgotten. Also, this guy has the shittiest luck when it comes to his family.

klimov wrote:The Cobbler - good fun this one, although rather, um, oddly conceived (could sit in a double bill with Der Golem...)
wait... the adam sandler movie? i just want to be clear - YOU, who has given me endless shit over the last decade for my taste in movies, went out of your way to watch an adam sandler movie?

We watched some of Neighbors on Saturday night. It's kind of a live action version of a MAD movie parody, in that every sentence either ends in a question mark or an exclamation point. Everybody yells in this movie. It was fairly exhausting after an hour, so I channel surfed over to The Ghoulies. This film was clearly an undiscovered gem. Delightful onslaught of cheap 80s practical effects and some 80s secret cult paranoia going on.

TC wrote:YOU... went out of your way to watch an adam sandler movie?
Not out of my way. It's a decent enough little flick though, even if the ending is a bit crap. Bad Neighbors I've seen too, passes the time but rather unmemorable.