Re: Justified

Yup, I love this show and they seem to be ratcheting up the action which I don't mind.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Louie

Justified plays in a familiar cops and robbers milieu but the dialogue elevates it, it's one of those rare tough guy exercises where you'd rather listen to the characters banter than watch them smash each others' faces in (although that aspect is well done too).
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Louie

Re: Justified, I felt this at the beginning (thanks to the Elmore Leonard influence) but it quickly became formulaic and fell into a rut.

Watch one of those ten films on Hulu+ and then I'll watch this Louie thing...

o-dot reminded me in the star wars thread about this - i finally finished watching last season last weekend. holy shit that was great. i said outloud after watching, "what a great season. really satisfying." i wasn't sure how they would top last season, but a few episodes in i completely forgot about the previous season, in a good way. this season, they really seemed to find their groove. they know very well who these characters are and are now telling stories. great season-arcing guest stars. just fantastic.

Agreed, I think S4 may well have been their best. S3 was a little convoluted and action-heavy, this one had a fairly straightforward narrative thrust and not a bad episode in the bunch. The "western" episode where they're trying to transport Drew is a stone cold classic, as is the one where Constable Bob gets to show off his ultraviolence.

By S3 I was ready to give up on this show, the combination of well-worn formula and unnecessary violence having become quite grating, but now I'm glad I stuck around! S4 was just really, surprisingly good, one of the best things that's been on TV in quite a while.

DH wrote:"Justified" Set To End Next Season?

FX's programming president Nick Grad has revealed that the network is currently planning for next year's sixth season of its acclaimed drama "Justified" to be the show's last.

Speaking at the "Justified" premiere party, Grad says "the plan right now" is to end the show next season. He tells Variety:
"We like having shows that rate really well, and there's an instinct that you want it to go on forever. But it doesn't.

Another metric that's important to us [beyond ratings] is, 'What shows are going to be talked about in the next 20 years?' If you're making a great, 80-hour movie, it has to have a beginning, middle and end.

Going out at the right time is going to make your show last forever — we want to make shows that stand the test of time."
The comments come just as overnight ratings have come in for the fifth season premiere on Tuesday night which pulled in 2.84 million viewers, a 21% drop from the 3.59 million who saw the fourth season opener and the lowest premiere for the series so far in terms of total viewers.

That said, "Justified" is a heavily DVR-ed program, its fourth season finale grew 70% when DVR Live+7 numbers were factored in.

Oh sadness. But if they're ramping up some end times narrative it could be fun. Watched the premiere last night, solid as always.

Going out at the right time is going to make your show last forever — we want to make shows that stand the test of time."
See Dexter for an example of a show that totally botched its final seasons and erased any remaining goodwill.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
See Dexter for an example of a show that totally botched its final seasons and erased any remaining goodwill.
That show basically went to shit after the second season, with a few flare-ups of fun here and there.

Re: Louie

Fantastic news, hope he got his batteries recharged. I'm going to circle back to Justified mentioned above--first season does start to get formulaic, and then they wrap up with some pretty deep larger story arc stuff that continues for the rest of the series, it is only 'case of the week' for really about 6 episodes. Like most new shows it takes a little while to get its legs under it, but the rewards after this one does are bountiful.

Ah, thanks for the refresh. Glad kilmmy made it to S4, probably the show's high point.

is anyone else keeping up with this? jesus is this season good. they are going out with a "bang", so to speak, worthy of leonard. two episodes left and there is only so much shit left to hit the fan.

Mary Steenburgen's exit was quite jolting. I don't think this season quite measures up to the highs of the fourth year, but it's been solid, engrossing stuff.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Mary Steenburgen's exit was quite jolting. I don't think this season quite measures up to the highs of the fourth year, but it's been solid, engrossing stuff.
Agreed on all counts--the whole sequence in the RV was batshit. I'm thinking the final two hours will be more of the same. It's time to end it, but I will certainly miss it.

I have to say,
I wasn't thrilled with the fact that Raylan doesn't end up with Winona, it's developed throughout the season that they're back together, then they're not and she's married to another putz, but I suppose as one random internet person pointed out somewhere she and Raylan will probably split up and get back together throughout their lives. But Raylan is badass enough that it seems he should have 'gotten the girl,' whether it be Winona or Eva.