Re: The Walking Dead

Us lot will always be wandering through the Georgia forest looking for the proper aesthetic perspective on any given piece of entertainment before you set us lot straight, klimmy.

Funny you mention that O-dot, Nicotero mentioned Malick several times as his inspiration for the previous weeks' episode, which he directed (and while more than a tad pretentious was much more successful than this weeks').
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The influence of latter day Malick on independent US cinema is proving to be an interesting one. With 98% still rooted in Eisensteinian montage, Malick has suggested a different approach and many are seizing upon it (for the most extreme example, check out The Better Angels, by one of Malick's editors, it does actually look like it was directed by Malick on an off-day). This in turn has drawn claims of plagiarism. But one might say - Malick, Eisenstein, what's the difference? Anyway, returning to the subject at hand, last week's episode, as with all series television, remained firmly and conservatively rooted in Eisensteinian montage theory, ergo Nicotero's claims are bogus.

last night's jennifer lynch-directed episode was another great one for this season. with the close-ups of the gore and action, she's still pretty clearly her father's daughter. i can't remember an episode that went that far with scenes. outside of that, still a great episode.

Yep, Jen did good work. Being friends with her on facebook, she appears to keep busy with random t.v. series directing gigs like this, but it would be nice to see her catch on with a dark show and stay for a while. Walking Dead is probably a fantastic fit.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Having 'known' her on the facebooks for several years and read a few interviews, I do not get the impression that Jen Lynch would cost any more than any other director trying to get work in a competitive t.v. market. Prior to this she did a bunch of episodes for MTV's Teen Wolf--you think they've got any kind of budget? My guess is that she's not particularly willing to set up camp in Georgia year-round since she's got a life and teenage daughter in L.A.

Doin' her thing...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Television doesn't usually use the same director constantly. The biggest reason is several episodes are usually in production at once, so multiple directors are need to cover everything that's going on at any one time. Episode 3 might be in pre-production while episode 4 is filming while episode 5 is in post and so on.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Oh that was directed by Jenny? Yes, the gore was very Romero-esque.

I think we're moving towards a point where single director shows will become much more common, especially at the high end. But this means less work for jobbing directors like Jenny (or other indie dropouts like John Dahl, Brad Anderson, etc), more for folks like Soderbergh, Fukunaga and Lynch the elder.

Sitcoms are often single director, hour long dramas rarely are and that probably won't change much. True Detective shot with one director and it held stuff up constantly and ended up costing a lot more. They've already said they're not doing that for season two.

It will probably continue to be a mix of both; shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead do just fine with multiple directors (although they tend to have the same director for about half of each season's episodes, and certainly in GoT's case the same writers for just about every episode), while The Knick and True Detective have been critical darlings with their single directors (although at least over here The Knick more or less came and went without a lot of fanfare). And while y'all seem to have missed the boat, The Jinx had a single director for all six episodes and that story (and its director) are blowing up all over the place this week.

The consistency and (muted) personality of the direction was far and away the best thing about True Detective, whether people realised it or not. If they backtrack on that for the second season, it's a downhill road. And until single director shows become common place, the claim that cable TV is the new home of mid-budget indie filmmaking will ring hollow.

klimov wrote: If they backtrack on that for the second season, it's a downhill road.
It's not an if, it's already a done deal. Justin Lin is directing two episodes, with the other directors yet to be announced still but should be soon since production is about to start.

The direction on TD S1 was great, but I also think the particular mechanisms employed in rolling out the story were captivating, and that goes back to the writing. No idea if S2 will be as good, it certainly doesn't have the cast, but I'll watch.

Colin Farrell is A-List, and a great talent. Cast isn't the problem here.

And I'd have to maintain that the script for Season 1 was pretty hokey and ultimately unsatisfying - lifted immensely by the direction.