Re: Gravity

Saw this over the weekend. Visually it's amazing. They could have turned off the sound and I probably would have still watched it. I'm glad I dragged myself out to a theater to see it on the big screen. The story is of course ludicrous and made a mockery of the laws of physics many times over. But hey, I'll let it go and chew the scenery.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I don't know enough about physics to care about that end of it, but
the idea that Russia just up and nuked an old satellite and the remnants were destroying multiple international space stations and satellites seemed a little far-fetched to me...I dunno, does that happen with any regularity? I've read about space junk, maybe they just figure the new stuff is built well enough to take it and the old stuff can be blown to bits, y'all tell me.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Both the U.S. and China have shot down satellites with missiles (not nukes), though it doesn't happen often. In the film they sort of assume the satellite was shot down in its normal orbit, But any debris would stay in that orbit, and satellites are in a completely different orbit from the ISS and Shuttle and Hubble (which are also all in different orbits from each other as well) and anything else for exactly that reason. They don't want stray crap to hit their multi-million dollar space station. Furthermore they usually wait and shoot satellites down until they're in a very low earth orbit so most debris will be pulled into the atmosphere. All the satellites shot down in real life were in decaying orbits and about to fall into Earth's atmosphere (thus the reason they were shot down.) And the junk was moving awful fast, faster than it would have been blown apart. No, they wouldn't tear apart stations like that. But they could cause damage and hull breaches, which is a bad day if you're living up there for sure.
But the one that really killed the film for me was Clooney being pulled away from her to his death. What force was acting upon him to pull him away? Once she got her foot caught it stopped them both. There's no object with enough gravity there to be pulling at him with that much force. At that point she could have let go and he would have just drifted there.

yeah, all of that was kind of ludicrous. this is one of those times that ignorance is bliss - most people wouldn't know or care. it didn't make me nuts to the point of being unable to love it. :)

TC wrote:yeah, all of that was kind of ludicrous. this is one of those times that ignorance is bliss - most people wouldn't know or care. it didn't make me nuts to the point of being unable to love it. :)
Same here.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

wasn't sure i'd read that whole thing but then two lines in we have this:
Just sit and be riveted by my ultra-realistic film of high realism that begins with the discontinued shuttle program still existing.
ok, i'm in. will read later.

Someone was having run blowing Warner's money. Because really, you had to go all the way to Greenland to film that? You couldn't do the same thing in say, North Dakota in January?

Yeah, so the script is weak, too much happens, much of the backstory is unnecessary and implausible and the science is extremely dodgy, and yet Gravity is still pretty amazing, at least in 3D in the theatre. Watching Avatar, I concluded that 3D was incompatible with conventional film coverage and decoupage techniques and made a note to avoid - Cuaron and Chivo must have thought the same thing, and have worked the issues through with extreme intelligence and skill to create arguably a new kind of cinema experience. The key lies in steady long takes, deep focus and a near-rejection of continuity cutting, the effect being to immerse the viewer in the world of the film in a way that feels genuinely new. Murnau no doubt would've creamed himself at the untethered 'camera' on display here, a feeling of mainstream cinema coming full circle. The First 30 minutes are especially good, it being possible to predict each cut, each coming at exactly the right place, always serving a structural purpose. Unfortunately, as the narrative tension heats up, Cuaron starts to cut more frequently and the effect is diminished - the pressures of Hollywood I guess, as I suspect are the aforementioned script deficiencies, which it's hard not to envision being progressively forced on the film at inane script meetings with spotty, number-crunching executives in their twenties. Still, one cannot deny the power of the experience, and for the first time I feel as if I might just like to make something in 3D myself. This being said I still hate the technology, finding it physically uncomfortable to watch. Hopefully advances will be made, eliminating the glasses and the eye strain that goes with them, and unless this happens I suspect 3D may yet prove to be a passing gimmick, despite the possibilities pointed to here. Nb. For all the flashy CGI on display, the highlights of the film are Bullock's Barbarella homage in the airlock, and the final shot of her rising, Amazon-like, from the mud!

/film wrote:New ‘Gravity’ Blu-ray Will Have “Silent Space” Version of the Movie

Alfonso Cuaron‘s Gravity did a fantastic job of showing how isolated one might feel in space. It also really pushed the emotions because of Steven Price‘s Oscar-winning score. Space is a silent vacuum, however, and to give Gravity fans a wholly new experience, an upcoming re-release of the Blu-ray will have a “Silent Space” audio track to give the viewer a sense of what the events of the movie might actually sound like in space. Read more about the Gravity silent space version below.

Thanks to The Film Stage for the heads up on this awesome feature. Here’s the cover and promotion material for the new Diamond Luxe version of Gravity, which hits Blu-ray February 10.

A few thoughts on the Gravity silent space version. I’m curious how much work and thought was put into this feature. What we hear what we don’t hear. Did Alfonso Cuaron supervise? It has to be different enough that it doesn’t duplicate just hitting the mute button on your current Blu-ray and turning on the subtitles. Also, as unique as this feature may be, Price’s score is so good, removing it would certainly remove some of what makes Gravity so emotional and exciting.

As if that argument needed more evidence, this edition will also have a full Dolby Atmos sound mix, something we know for a fact Cuaron worked on. Still, the “Silent Space” edition is just a fun, Blu-ray gimmick, like the version of Memento you can watch in order of the jokeless version of 22 Jump Street. It’s a fun addition for fans who’ve watched a movie a million times and just want some kind of extra thing to enjoy and talk about.

If you already have the Gravity Blu-ray, is this a version something you’ll be picking up? As someone who already owns the 3D Blu-ray and doesn’t have a particularly well balanced sound system, I’d be interested to pop this in at a friends house but that’s about it.
um.. ok?

Saw that today, massively fucked up. Give the author some credit and a few bucks, for pete's sake.

They'll just do whatever's most expedient - eg. Sherlock Holmes, in any sane world (and in the world outside the US) is way out of copyright, yet two competing and lawyered up copyright claimants regularly receive payoffs everytime a film or TV adaptation of the character is made. I used to know one of the ten 'heirs', he's not even an actual descendant of Conan-Doyle, yet a multi-millionaire due to this little quirk of fate.