Re: Fantastic Four

Best internet comment I read: "Reed Richards looks like Reed Richards' assistant."
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The thesis is sound but they could have done more funny things in this clip I think. And why didn't they start out by saying every fucking superhero movie trailer--hell, probably 80% of all trailers--has to begin with b footage of a city taken from a helicopter?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

This has all sorts of awful written all over it. It looks like they're going after the Hunger Games/Divergent tween crowd with it. I'm sure it will make them some money, but not mine.

[youtube][/youtube]
Just cut them up like regular chickens

sigh, one day hollywood will cease perpetuating the "black people don't understand grammar" thing. i go to the movies to get away from real life for a couple hours.

the human torch's first ignition scene was awesome. the thing looks like a pile of play-doh.

fantastic_four_ver3_xxlg.jpg
i'm sure they will be amazing scientists once they graduate high school.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[youtube][/youtube]
This now officially looks fucking awful. I hope some of that cgi is uncompleted because there are several places where it looks laughable. Reed and Sue seem pretty miscast.

Looks better than the first swing at the property. But since they've already had a first swing, it certainly doesn't look fresh.

Alexhead wrote:Looks better than the first swing at the property. But since they've already had a first swing, it certainly doesn't look fresh.
If you mean the Corman one, I agree. If you mean the Tim Story ones, naw. They were pretty bad, but this looks even worse. Miscasting, bad effects, awful dialog...after this trailer I have no hope.

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Looks better than the first swing at the property. But since they've already had a first swing, it certainly doesn't look fresh.
If you mean the Corman one, I agree. If you mean the Tim Story ones, naw. They were pretty bad, but this looks even worse. Miscasting, bad effects, awful dialog...after this trailer I have no hope.
you're just racist.

First review--Hollywood Reporter summarizes, "Fantastic Four feels like a 100-minute trailer for a movie that never happens."

I have total respect for anyone with good taste who just doesn't dig comic book films. As I'm sure I've said elsewhere, you'd probably get the most fun out of Winter Soldier, although even then it dissolves into a CGI fightfest. Being of our generation I kind of feel bad that you didn't have Marvel and DC in your hip pocket as a kid to get you through the rough spots, but maybe metal did the trick or something.

Alexhead wrote:I have total respect for anyone with good taste who just doesn't dig comic book films. As I'm sure I've said elsewhere, you'd probably get the most fun out of Winter Soldier, although even then it dissolves into a CGI fightfest. Being of our generation I kind of feel bad that you didn't have Marvel and DC in your hip pocket as a kid to get you through the rough spots, but maybe metal did the trick or something.
I guess it is kinda odd I never really jumped into comic books, all things considered. I loved Star Wars and Indy, played with He-Man, GI Joe and Transformers — and now that I think of it, I did have a handful of old-school Transformers comics from the mid-80s. My reading material veered more to stuff about Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. Metal actually came along much later for me — high school years.

Winter Soldier is OK, but it drags on too long, and yes, it does devolve into an overdone CGI-gasmic epic battle of not much consequence — par for the course in most Marvel movies. The whole idea of an interlocking universe is fun, but they have yet to hit that sweet spot.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Alexhead wrote:...I kind of feel bad that you didn't have Marvel in your hip pocket as a kid...
Fixed that for you.

I think getting into comics as a kid for our generation was a fluke actually. Certainly they weren't considered cool back when I was reading them. For most people my age back then comics were considered those things their parents talked about reading when they were kids that resulted in eye-rolls. I picked up Star Wars and Star Trek comics now and then because I liked both of those things (also considered pretty uncool by that point). But I probably never would have gotten into the superhero comic world had it not been for the janitor at the place my Dad worked telling me about Secret Wars II (which was just hitting then) and my thinking that sounded so cool, I had to check it out. 9 issues and 33 crossovers later I was hooked on Marvel.

Yeah, was never a big DC guy either outside of Crisis on Infinite Earths, their answer to Secret Wars. And yes, SW2 was one of the early titles that hooked me, although really it was all about Daredevil and X-Men for me.