Fantastic Four fluff piece

From the director of "Barbershop!" Eh, I never read that particular title anyway.
'Fantastic Four' refers to actors, too

Tue Sep 21, 7:28 AM ET Add Entertainment - USATODAY.com to My Yahoo!

By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

The Fantastic Four comes forth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After several false starts, the movie version of the dysfunctional family of comic-book superheroes known as the Fantastic Four has commenced filming in Vancouver, B.C., and will arrive in theaters July 1.

For those who can't wait to see who is in the signature skin-tight blue uniforms, here is an exclusive peek at the contentious clan that has been one of the most popular titles in the Marvel universe.

Three of the "imaginauts" who gain special powers after being caught in a cosmic storm in outer space are rising stars:

• Jessica Alba (news), 23, star of TV's Dark Angel, is Sue Storm, also known as the Invisible Woman, who has a romance with Reed.

• Welshman Ioan Gruffudd (news), 30, goes from Lancelot in King Arthur to scientist Reed Richards, whose Mr. Fantastic has the ability to stretch.

• Chris Evans, 23, currently seen in Cellular, is Sue's bro Johnny, a cocky pilot who turns up the heat as the Human Torch.

• The most recognizable face is also the most covered. Veteran actor Michael Chiklis, 41, of TV's The Shield, will grumble his way through the role of Ben Grimm, aka the Thing, a boulder-bodied mound of power whose battle cry is "It's clobberin' time!"

Don't expect a computerized brute as in The Hulk. That's Chiklis inside the craggy foam-rubber suit that, with shoes, weighs about 70 pounds. "That is the whole center of Ben's problem - he's trapped," says Chiklis. "He's a tragic hero. It's a delicate balance between formidable and ferocious and warm and fuzzy."

Chiklis, who has embodied such icons as John Belushi (news) in 1989's Wired and Curly in TheThree Stooges TV movie, understands why he got the part. "It's typecasting," says the actor, who built up his rock-man endurance by running 10Ks five days a week for the past three months. "A guy with a hard exterior who's got a beautiful heart."

Alas, the Thing's trademark stogie might be stubbed out, thanks to PC concerns.

Director Tim Story (Barbershop) takes a leap into the big leagues with his first summer blockbuster.

"Part of the appeal of the Fantastic Four is they don't use secret identities or wear masks," he explains. "They walk amongst New Yorkers who accept them and go to the grocery store to buy milk, just regular people dealing with life who happen to have extraordinary abilities. They don't always like each other, but they do love each other."

Studio 20th Century Fox is counting on audiences to share that love. The cast is signed for two sequels but for Story, it's wait and see.

Julian McMahon of TV's Nip/Tuck takes on villain Dr. Doom, but the Four have formidable movie competition, as well. The Steven Spielberg-Tom Cruise remake of the alien-attack thriller War of the Worlds will invade theaters June 29, two days before Fantastic Four.

Then there is The Incredibles, a computer-animated spoof on a superhero family coming Nov. 5 from Pixar and Disney, that could upstage Fantastic Four.

"I'm the biggest Pixar nut in the world, and I can't freaking wait to see it," Story says. "But some of the powers are very similar, and I don't want the public to think we took elements of The Incredibles when it's the other way around."
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

somebody say 'Nip/Tuck'? that's the most interesting part of that article. i always hated the FF, with the exception of Johnny (and of course Dr. Doom). btw, Sue is traditionally blonde. wonder how the olive-skinned Alba will look as a blonde....

i'm thinking "no".

TC wrote:somebody say 'Nip/Tuck'? that's the most interesting part of that article. i always hated the FF, with the exception of Johnny (and of course Dr. Doom). btw, Sue is traditionally blonde. wonder how the olive-skinned Alba will look as a blonde....

i'm thinking "no".
Not that I'll ever really admit to watching it, but I think she was blonde in "Never Been Kissed". I know it was some chick-flick. And no, she didn't look very good.

Fantastic Four - bad, Bad, BAD!

short version: this film has stolen the title of "Worst. Movie. Evar." from The Skulls in my book as the absolute biggest piece of shit ever to see the silver screen.

there are so many things wrong with this movie that i wouldn't even know where to begin. all of their "big plans" take less time to enact than the average A-Team plan. everything they do is so beyond the realm of possibility that it's just insulting. the little side dramas - love story, brother/sister story, ex-schoolmates story - are all so pathetic and cliched that i defy anyone to give a shit at all about any of the characters herein.

of course, these are also all of the things i find wrong with FF in general. as a comic book geek, the only FF comics i have are because they have a cross-over in them, or the ever-popular "What If" where FF battle the X-Men - THAT'S IT. mostly because the book is a complete joke and intolerable. in that sense, this film is true to the comic.

the thing that pisses me off most about this is that it might possibly have a negative effect on future comic book-based movies that could be GREAT (ala The Watchmen, etc.) because of how horrible it is. i hope that one day Hollywood will learn that just because one comic book movie makes it big DOES NOT mean that all comics deserve to be translated to the big screen. i saw an interview/special on the making of this film where they interviewed Stan Lee. he was gushing about how great the casting was, how great the technology was that they were able to put on screen exactly the way it should look, etc. well let me tell you, Stan needs to watch where he puts his backing. the effects in this film are a joke; very few scenes resemble anything other than a bad home-made CGI wank-fest. ben grimm looks, for lack of a better work, retarded. reed - when he stretches - looks just plain bad. i would say that i loved Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom, but through no fault of his own, the script was so bad and they were trying to cram so much backstory into this train wreck that nothing at all made any sense.

the worst part about this film is that not everyone died in some horrible accident at the end - they actually left this open for a sequel. if this movie does well at the box office, i'm jumping off a bridge.

To get an idea of the kind of "love" (i.e. complete lack thereof) Marvel comics are now getting over at Fox, you should read this: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20443

It explains a lot about how this Tom Rothman guy ran Singer off the X-Men franchise, and I just so happen to have a personal story about Fantastic Four--one of my good friends has a brother-in-law who does effects out in Hollywood at whatever second-tier shop did this flick, along with the Dr. Seuss abortions, the X-Files movie, and a few others. He actually worked quite hard on F4 but realizes the end results have issues. He relates them back to the studio head, Tom Rothman, who when asked several times about more budget or fixing script issues never had the time. This brother-in-law of a friend was in a production meeting with him when a comment was made about being true to the fan base, to which he replied "Fuck them. I could give a shit what they think." I won't bother with it, and may not bother with X3 based on what I've been reading.

LOL on the original comic, I always thought they were a bunch of lame pussies too.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

wow, i feel bad the person you know on the job - i didn't mean any disrespect, as i'm sure it's not the way they would love to see it. the effects are well-intentioned, but completely lost on this. IOW, they are not enough to salvage this steaming pile of feces.

Hey, I don't know him, and I've read plenty of reviews where the effects are name-checked as part of the problem...you know they've got issues when the critics mention them specifically. From what I've heard, flameboy looks good, rock boy looks okay, everything else looks pretty poor. But again, I won't be seeing it so I'll just have to take people's word for it!

Fant4stic

well, here we go again:

[youtube][/youtube]
FANTASTIC FOUR, a contemporary re-imagining of Marvel’s original and longest-running superhero team, centers on four young outsiders who teleport to an alternate and dangerous universe, which alters their physical form in shocking ways. Their lives irrevocably upended, the team must learn to harness their daunting new abilities and work together to save Earth from a former friend turned enemy.
fantastic_four_xxlg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Fantastic Four

I like how they dimmed down the text of "From the Studio that Brought You" so all you see is the X-Men title to try to associate it closer with it. When I first watched it on my phone I couldn't tell what it said and was scratching my head as I didn't think any creative people were shared between the two.
All the comments I'm seeing are saying how great this looks from the trailer. I'm not sure where that's coming from. Were expectations so low that anything that doesn't look like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four is considered awesome now? I'm not saying this looks awful, but it doesn't look great either. Kind of a meh at best. It certainly doesn't make me excited for the film or want to rush out to see it. The trailer looks like pretty much every other comic book film trailer these days which create a brooking, dark, overly tense mood (yes, even Avengers did this which I am eager to see).
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Because they hadn't released any marketing material of any sort at this point, rumors have been flying that it's very problematic (and of course there was that whole corner of fanboys who didn't like them turning Johnny black, which probably didn't help overall internet conversation). As noted above, never a huge fan, don't care/probably won't see unless reviews are stellar, etc. Trailer looks very Serious, which I guess is an improvement on the first go-round. Based on what Sony's doing with Spider Man I'm sure Fox is already figuring out how to re-boot this in 3 years.

Alexhead wrote:Based on what Sony's doing with Spider Man I'm sure Fox is already figuring out how to re-boot this in 3 years.
I suspect this one will probably be more in Spidey 2 territory. Not a huge hit, but successful enough to make them try again. However if this fails my bet is they'll let the rights expire like they did Daredevil and just focus on milking the shit out of X-Men. I eagerly await X-Men Origins: Stacy X.

or that eagerly-awaited X-Men/Snarf x-over.

i'd seriously rather watch the corman FF fifteen times in a row than watch either of the recent FF films again, so yes - ANYTHING would be an improvement.

also of note - in that shot at the end, The Thing isn't wearing pants. um...? guess they'll be lots of rock cock in this?

pasting the text & images here since their website sucks and has a fuckton of ads:
There's An Easter Egg In The New 'Fantastic Four' Trailer
The Easter Egg occurs at 45 seconds into the new "Fantastic Four" teaser.

The internet’s detective skills never cease to amaze me. When Steve spoke with Josh Trank and Simon Kinberg for our Fantastic Four exclusive, Kinberg confirmed there would be an Easter egg hidden somewhere in the trailer. The trailer hit the web just over an hour ago and it looks like one of our sharp-eyed readers already found it.
fantastic-four-easter-egg.jpg
Can you spot the Easter Egg?

About :45 into the trailer Sue Storm (Kate Mara) is working on a computer and on the bottom left corner of her screen an IP address: 23.21.190.125.
fantastic-4-easter-egg.jpg
Type that address into your browser and it leads to a wiki page on the fictional nation of Latveria.
latveria.jpg
So what does that mean for this version of Fantastic Four? (Notice FOX has dropped “the” from their title for this iteration). In the comics Latveria is the Eastern European nation that Victor von Doom reigns with an iron fist. In a recent interview for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Toby Kebbell revealed to us that his version of Doctor Doom has a radically different origin from his comic book antecedent. Mainly that he’s an anti-social programmer named Victor Domashev, not Victor von Doom. Kebbell explained:

KEBBELL: He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m “Doom”.

Kebbell also mentioned that he had difficulty nailing the voice because he was trying to figure out where the character was from.

KEBBELL: The only thing I can tease you about is what I worked on most was the voice because nobody—even in the cartoons, when I was watching them I was like, “So where’s he from?” There’s a mild change and I’ll tell you because of our history.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

and by the way, it's not just the completely unnecessary changing of race of johnny that is a concern, it's the fact that, you know, him & sue are brother & sister and now completely different races.

TC wrote:and by the way, it's not just the completely unnecessary changing of race of johnny that is a concern, it's the fact that, you know, him & sue are brother & sister and now completely different races.
Maybe he starts out white but gets a bit too much cosmic ray action in the accident and tans a lot in addition to his other powers. But at least now Fox can have them bone each other without it being creepy, which you know will happen.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:and by the way, it's not just the completely unnecessary changing of race of johnny that is a concern, it's the fact that, you know, him & sue are brother & sister and now completely different races.
Maybe he starts out white but gets a bit too much cosmic ray action in the accident and tans a lot in addition to his other powers. But at least now Fox can have them bone each other without it being creepy, which you know will happen.
uh... what, are you thinking like a Flash thing - one of them is foster? still creepy. but sure, maybe he's just overcooked.

I'm sure he's her adopted brother. Doesn't really mean much to me one way or the other if the story is good, but again, don't care much about this franchise in the first place.