Evil Dead TV

fresh from SDCC:
RueMorgue wrote:But (as the ads say) wait, there’s more! Raimi then went on to announce the development of a TV series based on…. wait for it… THE EVIL DEAD. There’s only two details confirmed for this potential series:

1) Sam and Ivan Raimi are developing the series’ bible.

2) Bruce Campbell will star.

We’re just going to let that soak in.
um... i'm not going to get excited for this just yet. this sounds like another raimi pipe dream for something that never materializes. but, if it does, this could be good.

Re: Evil Dead TV

holy fuck...
EW wrote:'Evil Dead' TV show starring Bruce Campbell greenlit by Starz

Huge news for Evil Dead fans: Starz has ordered an Evil Dead TV show.

Original franchise director Sam Raimi will executive produce the series and write and direct the first episode, with Rob Tapert also executive producing.

And … and … and …

Bruce Campbell will star, reprising his iconic career-making role as Ash.

The logline: “Bruce Campbell will be reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons –personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its ‘Evil’ grip.”

Campbell played Ash in the cult-favorite horror comedies The Evil Dead (1981), Evil Dead II (1987) and Army of Darkness (1992). Raimi previously teased at Comic-Con last summer he was developing a show based on the films and wanted Campbell to star.

“I’m really excited to bring this series to the Evil Dead fans worldwide — it’s going to be everything they have been clamoring for: serious deadite ass-kicking and plenty of outrageous humor,” Campbell said.

“Evil Dead has always been a blast,” Raimi said. “Bruce, Rob, and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to tell the next chapter in Ash’s lame, but heroic saga. With his chainsaw arm and his ‘boomstick,’ Ash is back to kick some monster butt. And brother, this time there’s a truckload of it.”

Added Starz managing director Carmi Zlotnik: “Starz first worked with Sam and Rob on Spartacus, and we are thrilled to be back in business with them. With Sam writing and directing and Bruce Campbell returning to the screen, we are certain the show will give Evil Dead fans around the world the fix they’ve been craving.”

The series will air on Starz in 2015. All right, who wants some?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BD wrote:Bruce Campbell Talks ‘Evil Dead’ Series

Back in November, horror fans collectively peed their pants when Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell officially announced Ash vs. Evil Dead, a 10-episode series set to debut on Starz in 2015.

In the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, Campbell elaborates more, stating that the series will revolve around an older Ash taking on a new Deadite plague and his own personal demons, specifically “survivor’s guilt.” The 30-minute show will also feature two young co-stars (Campbell wants Jennifer Lawrence) who help Ash out as it expands on the world Evil Dead.

Campbell explained to EW that another film would have been too expensive, but the series will allow them to do what they want and more importantly, give the fans what they want.

For the whole story, check out the latest issue of EW. Who wants some?
30 minutes??? booo!

Yeah that kind of blows. Speaks to a definite emphasis on comedy over horror, although I guess that's what the franchise more or less is. I really hope this and (much more so) Twin Peaks are fitting continuations and tributes, and not just a bunch of wrinkly dudes reliving the glory days on a cable network's dime.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:... Twin Peaks are fitting continuations and tributes, and not just a bunch of wrinkly dudes reliving the glory days on a cable network's dime.
Lynch doesn't strike me as the sort to play it safe when it comes to that sort of thing. The easy thing (in another's hands) would be to have Coop show up, spout what a damn fine piece of pie he just had and everyone collects a paycheck. With Lynch, I suspect the story will go in strange places none of us imagine at the moment. Remember, Mulholland Drive grew out of the idea of Audrey Horne going to Hollywood.

As for Evil Dead (of which I have never seen a film of), odd that he says they went cable because it was cheaper, yet he wants Jennifer Lawrence for the series. I doubt TV could afford the catering and trailer budget for her these days muchless a salary.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

"wants" is very different than "will be able to get", unless she's just a big fan.

but let's address the true problem here - YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THE EVIL DEADS?????? you must remedy this immediately. evil dead 2 is a great first one.

TC wrote:but let's address the true problem here - YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THE EVIL DEADS?????? you must remedy this immediately. evil dead 2 is a great first one.
I actually own all three on dvd and have for years. I just never have gotten around to watching them. Maybe I can catch up on Xmas.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:but let's address the true problem here - YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ANY OF THE EVIL DEADS?????? you must remedy this immediately. evil dead 2 is a great first one.
I actually own all three on dvd and have for years. I just never have gotten around to watching them. Maybe I can catch up on Xmas.
ED2 is one of my favorite films. please do.

But watch the first one anyway. It's not like sitting through Bertolucci's 1900 — it's not even 90 minutes long.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Or you could stare at an arty photo of a potato on a table for 15 minutes and then stab yourself in the jugular. Really much cooler than a horror comedy franchise that has nothing to do with the prior sentence, or the prior film recommendations.

I've never seen ED1 as I heard from everyone what O-Dot said. I'm not sure exactly how watching ED2 as a grownup for the first time would work as compared to the gleeful experience of watching it with your semi-loaded friends in 1988 on VHS from Blockbuster, but I think it's probably something you need to do in any case. Oh, and 1900. Totally need to see that if you're a fan of horror comedy, the subject of this thread.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i like potatos.

ED3 pissed me off big time when it came out, as it had lost any semblance of darkness and totally embraced the 3 Stooges-esque side of things. ED2 had that perfect balance, and ED3 basically just said, "fuck it, we'll just make a movie of quotable lines, since that's what everyone loved about ED2". now, i can watch it and appreciate it for what it is, but ED2 is the watermark.

Blech. For what it's worth, I liked 1900 just fine, Conformist, too. My point, in the bizarre event it was unclear, was that you could knock out the entire ED trilogy in less the time it takes to sit through the 5 1/2 hours of 1900.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I watched Evil Dead 2 today. It was mildly amusing. I confess I'm not a huge horror fan so I'm probably the wrong audience. But I laughed a couple of times and it was worth a watch. It could have easily lost about 45 minutes as it was a bit tedious in the first half. I guess I should go watch Army of Darkness now to see how the cliffhanger is resolved.

klimov wrote:If you must, but then The Conformist (even O-Dot likes it!).
Aw. Happy Christmas to you as well.

Good stuff!

Oddly, Army of Darkness is the ED movie that I have the best memories of. All the medieval stuff gives it a unique spin for a zombie flick, plus there's more humour and less horror.