Re: The Walking Dead

Eh, we can go back and forth but with Breaking Bad in the books and Walking Dead being the uneven (yet somewhat compelling because, well, zombiepocalypse every week) show that it is, they've basically got Mad Men (coming off their most boring season) in its death throes and a bunch of wannabes in my book. I'm a lot more excited when I see one of the other networks mentioned have a new show coming up than I am with AMC at this point. I'm not sure where they are shopping for talent, but my suspicion is they caught lightning in a bottle a couple times with Weiner and Gilligan, and the up and coming Weiners and Gilligans of the world have a lot more places to shop their ideas nowadays. Will take a look at Turn and see what that's all about.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

also, looked up the bible references on the board in the last episode - very fun stuff. a small detail that delivers if you look. a sign they have a hold on this.

edit: here you go.
twd.bible.verses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, wife actually pulled out a Bible and started looking them up during the episode. I agree that they're off to the races, I don't know what they have in store but I really like the fact that they subverted expectations of
a long stay in Terminus by blowing the fucking place to shit in the first episode.
Spoiler tagged for those who aren't caught up.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I like the fact that the group we're following really isn't starting to feel much better or worse than any other group they run into. All the others have been more fucked up, but only by degree, and not many in some cases. I'd be as scared of running into Rick out there as anybody else at this point.

Alexhead wrote:I like the fact that the group we're following really isn't starting to feel much better or worse than any other group they run into. All the others have been more fucked up, but only by degree, and not many in some cases. I'd be as scared of running into Rick out there as anybody else at this point.
yeah, him executing that cop was a different rick then we saw in past seasons. echoes the statement he made at the end of S2 i think - "this is not a democracy anymore".

Exactly. And how many of the other miserable fucks they've met along the way can more or less write off their behavior to "doing what we have to do to survive?" Pretty much all of them. It's actually a fairly significant difference between the comics and the show; villains in the comics, such as the Governor, tend to be completely moustache-twirling evil from the get-go.

Yeah, this is shaping up to be the best season so far (title currently held by Season 3). Really like the new pacing, giving us a series of smaller stories rather than eking things out with loads of filler, also like the direction Rick is going as a character.

This used to be a guilty pleasure but it's actually starting to become, dare I say it, quite good. Season isn't done yet, of course, so there's plenty of room to fuck up!

I agree, this season has been the best one since the first. I've been dragged through this show by my girlfriend for the past couple of seasons, but now I'm kind of into it again.
If only they'd killed off Carl in the half-season finale instead...

Ultimately I'm glad they got rid of Darbont, liked what he did but he would have crawled up his own asshole sooner or later. Season 2, having watched it a few times now, actually is quite a bit better than it gets credit for. And it followed Darbont's plan even though he'd been fired so you can more or less call it his, for what it's worth.

Season 1 is just Romero-lite and hence feels pointless. It's not until Season two, the farm and, yes, the Sofia twist, that the show starts to develop a bit of a personality - and then the introduction of the Governor in S3 cements that personality: once the dead become part of the landscape, rather than the primary threat, the show moves into its own territory. S4 starts well but becomes interminable once they all split up. It simply feels financially motivated, a way to save on rising actor salaries now that the show has become more popular. The episode with Daryl and Beth has to be a low point for the entire series. In S5, they've been splitting them up again, but the faster moving narrative makes up for it.