Re: Inherent Vice

Read the book earlier this year. I may be looking forward to this more than anything else coming out. It is a very funny book (don't go into it looking for thrills, it ain't that kind of rodeo) and PTA said in a recent interview he coached everyone to be more "Tom and Jerry" and Warner Bros. Cartoons at every opportunity.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Yeah, just not sure they're getting it before January. We were there Friday and they had the Avengers poster up too.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So sad it didn't show up here in December, but something to look forward to in January.

Just fucking discovered that PTA is here for a 9:30 screening at our Alamo Drafthouse but of course it's fucking sold out. Fuck.

Yeah. Well firstly, it's great to see a major studio logo appearing before a film like this. Feels like we're back in the 90s. Secondly, yeah, it's... not a bad film. Cinematography is excellent, especially the use of colour, with a number of well-choreographed sequence shots - if perhaps a tad too much handheld for my taste. Performances are strong, Joaquin as good as one might hope for. The pace of the editing is very well judged. The writing is refreshingly free of cliche (albeit what we're getting here is Lebowski without the jokes). The pitch perfect use of extras demonstrates how much PTA's direction has matured since Boogie Nights. All this said, it's hard to love. Bottom line for me, there's way too much exposition and way too much yakking about matters of little substance. This probably works in a novel, not so much in a film. Perhaps the jokes would've come in handy. It's certainly not as good as The Master. This said, it's the kind of thing that may improve with a second viewing.

klimov actually nails it pretty well, I enjoyed it and thought it was as good an adaptation of the source material as you could ask for, but it didn't quite capture the consistent humor of the book--which is all based in dialogue and character interaction and internal monologue, the various mysteries are all postmodern macguffin bullshit.