Re: Recent movie playlist

Yeah, it was a Scorsese joint, and one with a lot less violence than his usual. I liked it, agree that it probably didn't need to be 3 hours.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Beyond The Black Rainbow - someone told me awhile back that this was a lynchian horror movie. well, it's not really a horror movie, but holy shit did it go out of its way to be "lynchian". another way to describe it would be an acid trip in film version. the lead male actor delivers probably the most creepy performance i've ever seen. as a film, the first 1/2-3/4 is very interesting, you're wondering where they are going. then you get the feeling they suddenly realized they had no ending and threw something together. it totally goes in a completely different direction to provide an ending when leaving it open as a sort of film study would have been more satisfying. scenes of the girl walking as slowly as humanly possible - while pretty much fitting with the tone of the rest of the film - seem to have been left as long as possible to draw out the length, again lending to the feeling that they really had no idea where they were going with this. very much worth watching for the extremely creepy/uncomfortable first 3/4 and excellent very dark '80s synth score.

O-dot wrote:Did you see Silver Linings Playbook? He was good in that one, as well.
just watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. was good, enjoyable. a parts of it were a little too familiar for me, so i'm probably biased. but, was good. liked american hustle quite a bit more. not to compare them, but damn if jennifer lawrence didn't just skyrocket in the last couple years. deservedly so. i love her.

TC wrote:just watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. was good, enjoyable. a parts of it were a little too familiar for me, so i'm probably biased. but, was good. liked american hustle quite a bit more.
Just the opposite here. We found AH much ado.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Watched Leaves of Grass with Ed Norton and Ed Norton the other night. The technology for having one actor play two people in the same scene has gotten so much better. It looked really smooth. Ed Norton's (and half the rest of the cast's) Oklahoma accent was pretty terrible and cliche though. The Netflix sleeve description of this "quirky movie about two brothers" was a little misleading because it got much more dark than expected with multiple people murdered. Still, it was pretty entertaining and worth a watch.

Hm, never heard of that one.

Just watched Blue Ruin (streaming on netflix right now), it's a very low budgeted movie that actually got its completion funding from kickstarter, and that crowdsourcing was money pretty well spent. A small revenge thriller that does a very nice job of building tension within scenes, nothing hugely complicated about the story but that allows it to focus on said tension and mood. A very accomplished looking film, well acted, for such a low budget.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

darkness wrote:Monster's University: Amusing enough but missing a lot of the usual Pixar heart and storytelling. It's not a bad Pixar film (*cough* Cars 2 *cough*) considering it's a prequel, but it's certainly not them at their best. I'm pretty sure this exists as a cash grab to sell more toys.
My daughter is obsessed with the Monsters movies.

On that note, there is this on Amazon:

I see that it's an import and region free. Any downside to ordering this that anyone sees?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:Her - finally saw this phoenix/johansson/pratt/adams/jonze film (there, lots of search criteria since "her" can't be used). really, really liked this film. so good. one i'd happily watch again. depressing.
My favorite film of last year.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:Her - finally saw this phoenix/johansson/pratt/adams/jonze film (there, lots of search criteria since "her" can't be used). really, really liked this film. so good. one i'd happily watch again. depressing.
My favorite film of last year.
My favorite recent film is Under The Skin, but Her is right up there (and yes, different years, yadda yadda). Definitely ScarJo's best works.

Watched most of Edge Of Tomorrow (Live-Die-Repeat for those just finding it on home viewing--so sad) today, will be finishing it tonight. Still blows me away that the guy who did Swingers now does some of the better action product out there. Anyway, this is a video game turned into a movie, and I mean that in a much more complimentary way than it sounds. The conceit allows for the main character to get killed and reboot a day earlier, knowing everything that's coming up until the part where he dies so he can plan accordingly and push ahead/level up as he makes his way towards the usual saving the world stuff. Ironically based on a comic book, not game. It's a slightly more enjoyable action setpiece delivery device than most of the others out there.

O-dot wrote:On that note, there is this on Amazon...
The UK Pixar Collection contains all the Pixar films up to and including Monsters University: (this was going for $90 in the Black Friday sale, so worth looking out for a deal) . Apart from Up, I've never really been convinced by the Pixar phenomenon but it's a decent family purchase. Nb. A few of these are Region B, but since any self-respecting cinephile owns a region-changeable player these days I assume that's not a problem. ;)

The UK also has a complete Miyazaki boxset, full English and Japanese dubs included. This shits all over Pixar of course... but it's rather expensive: . There's also a Region A set in Japan ( ), but it's twice the price at $500 (!), so actually you could just buy the UK set, mod your player and still have some change in your pocket.

Now if you're looking for something more adventurous, Criterion's Complete Jacques Tati boxset is good family entertainment too:

Last but not least, the recently restored Chaplin Mutuals boxset is marvellous (all the kids love Chappers!):

_Marcus_ wrote:The Babadook.

Solid horror/psychological horror flick with minimal budget but interesting camera work, good acting throughout and really amazing design. Loved the ending too.
I'm looking forward to that, have a friend who always works the local film festival who saw it about 6 months back and loved it.

Alexhead wrote:Oh, and speaking of 80s movies, Pro to Hot Tub Time Machine too, a few unexpected cameos and "breakout" (hate to use the term but it applies to Rob Cordry) performances, sticking John Cusack in the middle (he actually produced, and it's co-written by one of his buddies who co-wrote Grosse Point Blank if you need further bona fides) definitely pulls it all together as a dirty little love letter to 80s trash comedy. Enjoy.
watched this last night. after everyone telling me how awesome it was, i think it was too built up as it was only ok for me. mildly amusing and clever, but not great.

When the toddler is awake we're watching Beauty and the Beast or Peppa Pig. And the last couple of nights HBO has ben reairing episodes of The Wire.