The Hateful Eight

BAD wrote:Tarantino Says He’s Shelving THE HATEFUL EIGHT
The script leaked and now QT is quitting.

Everybody got excited when word got out that Quentin Tarantino had finished his next script, the Western ensemble film The Hateful Eight. That excitement may be turning to sadness now that the script has leaked and Tarantino has become so upset he's decided against directing the film next.

Scripts leak all the time in Hollywood, but it's getting to be an epidemic. It used to be that people in the industry were the only ones getting scripts, and they were traded on actual paper. Email has made it a whole new world, and people who live in the middle of nowhere and whose only ties to Hollywood are having once worked at a Blockbuster are now able to get their hands on unproduced scripts fairly easily. A Tarantino script gets especially traded. It's a real bummer, especially because many of these people don't even know how to read a script properly, let alone one as unique as a Tarantino script.

Talking to Deadline, Tarantino says:
“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino said. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

So who could have done this? “I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino said. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these fucking agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got 10 more where that came from.”
So the good news is that Tarantino may yet make the film, and I kind of dream of him adapting his script into a novel and then re-adapting that back. That isn't how it'll work, but a boy can dream.
*applause* hope you're happy, you fucking pariahs.

Re: The Hateful Eight

Reading the Deadline piece it sounds like he could change his mind and this is a bit of a tantrum he's throwing in the immediate aftermath of the event. In any case I don't get as excited for new QT product as some do, although I liked Inglorious Basterds quite well.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

/film wrote:Quentin Tarantino Continuing Work on ‘The Hateful Eight’ Script

It seems like the best hope for Quentin Tarantino‘s live read of The Hateful Eight — that working on the staged reading of the script would revive the director’s interest in making a film — could become a reality. On Saturday night at the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles, the director assembled a cast of “Tarantino Superstars” to perform a one-time reading of the first draft of his western The Hateful Eight. He had famously planned to shoot the film this year, but scrapped that plan after a first draft of the script leaked online.

While there is no hard and fast plan to make the movie just yet, Tarantino did announce at the reading that he is writing a second draft and is planning to follow through with a third.

Given the fact of continued work on the script, which Tarantino says will have a new final chapter, there’s reason to hope we might see the film before too long. The Film Stage reports a tentative plan to shoot “next winter,” but other sites covering the event, such as HitFix and The Playlist, do not specify the same thing.

At this point the real future plans for the western are yet to be known. Take heart in the fact that Bob and Harvey Weinstein both attended the event, and hopefully the well-received reading will push them to lean on the director, and get the movie made.

Here’s the live read cast for the story, which is set during a Wyoming snowstorm a few years after the civil war, and takes place in only two locations: a stagecoach and a small haberdashery in which the characters take refuge from the storm. There, tensions boil over into conflict and violence. (Cast list via Variety.)
  • Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren
  • James Parks as the driver O.B.
  • Kurt Russell as bounty hunter John Ruth also known as “The Hangman”
  • Amber Tamblyn as his prisoner Daisy Domergue
  • Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix
  • Denis Menochet as the Frenchman Bob
  • Tim Roth as the Englishman Oswaldo Mobray
  • Michael Madsen as John Gage
  • Bruce Dern as Confederate General Smithers
  • Dana Gourrier as Minnie
  • Zoe Bell as Six Horse Judy
  • James Remar as Jody
holy shit what a cast. would have loved to hear that.

apparently we will...
BAD wrote:Kurt Russell Says HATEFUL EIGHT Shoots Next Year
Quentin Tarantino's scrapped script has been unscrapped.

When the script for the next Quentin Tarantino movie, The Hateful Eight, leaked the director decided not to make the film at all. But over time he has softened; first there was a live read of the script at LACMA and then came rumors that the movie would be happening after all. Those rumors just got a lot more juice as Kurt Russell, appearing on a morning TV show, said he's going to be in the film next year.

“I’ve got a Tarantino project called The Hateful Eight that looks like it may go somewhere around the beginning of the year,” he told Fox's Good Day Philly. In the video he seems pretty excited about it, and seems pretty happy about life in general which is good because he's Kurt Russell and we all want him to be happy.

And it would make us happy if The Hateful Eight actually got made. Hopefully the delay - and the resulting extra drafts - really turn the film into something special. I'm already getting Tarantino withdrawl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

O-dot wrote:Must've gotten over his temper tantrum.
Or they piled more money at his door. He's a whore first and foremost. One who got all his moves by watching more talented whores.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Didn't he say he was quitting after 10 or something like that? I'd really be Ok with that, no offense to Quentin. I did just read he's going to shoot this in 70mm which at least pushes me over into "I'll see this in a theater" territory.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

[youtube][/youtube]

Leak of the "we haven't shot any footage yet" teaser trailer here, until it's yanked of course.

holy fuck... 70mm!
/film wrote:‘The Hateful Eight’ to Shoot in January, Open in 70mm Fall 2015

Quentin Tarantino‘s The Hateful Eight has certainly had an eventful 2014. The project was first revealed in late 2013, and then called off in January of this year, before getting moving again in July. But its 2015 will be even more exciting.

The Weinstein Co. announced today that The Hateful Eight will enter production early next year for release late next year. And it won’t just be any normal release — it’ll be the widest 70mm rollout in over 20 years. Hit the jump for the latest updates on The Hateful Eight release date.

The first poster for The Hateful Eight promised that the film would be shot in Super CinemaScope (70mm) and open in 2015. The teaser trailer then offered a bit of concept art and character info. But the Weinsteins now clarify that The Hateful Eight will begin filming in January, with a fall debut in mind.

Initially, The Hateful Eight will open in 70mm, with 35mm and DCP formats following shortly afterward. No exact release date has been set, and the specifics could certainly change in the next year. Still, it’s nice to have a general idea of when and how we can expect to see Tarantino’s latest.

Here’s the plot of the post-Civil War Western:
The Hateful Eight follows the steadily ratcheting tension that develops after a blizzard diverts a stagecoach from its route, and traps a pitiless and mistrustful group which includes a competing pair of bounty hunters, a renegade Confederate soldier, and a female prisoner in a saloon in the middle of nowhere.
No stars have been confirmed, although many people have been rumored including Bruce Dern, Kurt Russell, Michael Madsen, James Remar, Walton Goggins, Samuel L. Jackson, and of course Jennifer Lawrence. Because she’s rumored for everything these days.

“We are incredibly excited to begin production on The Hateful Eight, as we know this picture will be as innovative, brash and of course fun as all Quentin projects prior,” said the Weinsteins. “There is, quite simply, no other filmmaker like him, and we are as proud as ever to continue this partnership that started over twenty years ago.”
where the hell did he find the stock?

/film wrote:Quentin Tarantino’s ‘The Hateful Eight’ Opens Christmas Day In 70mm

We’ve known for a while that Quentin Tarantino‘s next film, The Hateful Eight, was coming in the Winter. We just didn’t know what date to circle on the calendar. Now we do. The film will open in limited, 70mm release on December 25 before a wide, digital release on January 8. Read more about the Hateful Eight release date below.

The Hollywood Reporter broke the news. Here’s a comment from Erik Lomis, the present of distribution at The Weinstein Company

Our long relationship with Quentin Tarantino is one of the cornerstones of this company, so it’s incredibly special to us to be releasing his latest film in such a spectacular way on 70mm – we can’t think of a finer Christmas gift to be giving movie lovers and Tarantino fans this year.

The 70mm release was detailed a bit last week. You can read about it here but basically, the filmmaker has been working with Panavision and more to make 50 theaters across the country able to screen the film in the super high quality film format. It’ll even be presented at a wider aspect ratio, hopefully giving fans an experience they can’t duplicate at home.

Here’s the plot description of The Hateful Eight:
In The Hateful Eight, set six or eight or twelve years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as “The Hangman,” will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Samuel L. Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Walton Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town’s new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie’s Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie’s, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Demian Bichir), who’s taking care of Minnie’s while she’s visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Tim Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Michael Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Bruce Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all…
oh please please please be somewhere near me in 70mm...

I believe it was just announced that Quentin would finally break down and have Ennio Morricone do an original score for this. I always thought his "no original score" rule was idiotic, glad he finally figured that out too.