Re: The Hobbit

I just saw this last night in HFR 3D, and I agree completely with your analysis, TC. Thankfully the sillyness of the dwarves was not over the top, as you said. The Great Goblin felt very much like a Del Toro creation visually, which was cool, but his whole death scene was cliche and hokey. The HFR was interesting, and I didn't see it as a negative at all, but only a minor positive. I wouldn't go out of my way to see a movie in HFR again. DVD to Blu-ray is a much bigger improvement, for comparison. I still find the 3D annoying and distracting.

What is Peter Jackson's obsession with everyone standing on a surface that crashes into another surface, and everyone has to jump to the other side? The chase scene in Moria in LOTR, the storm giant battle, the battle with the goblins on the bridges.... just over and over.

The movie crashed just as it was starting and they had to reboot it (rebooting a movie sounds so strange), so they gave us free passes while we waited. Woot!

That's DCP for you... Blurgh.

I liked the Hobbit a notch more than I expected, I'll be honest. The length wasn't so much of an issue and the light-hearted comedic sections raise it above anything in LOTR, and suggest the kind of film it might have been. Unfortunately, the CGI and bombast do quickly wear thin... The goblin section has been compared to Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, yet it's instructive how much more exciting the latter film feels and that's simply because, despite a few optical effects, so much of what you're watching is real and not a computer-animated cartoon. Just b/c you can do something doesn't mean you should. Ah well. Film of the holiday for me would be Lincoln, liked that quite a bit. Killing Them Softly not bad either.

976275_529187847116825_1152610988_o.jpg
first poster for desolation of smaug. i like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I never bothered with the first one, this trailer makes the follow up look more entertaining (as TC said, the first one was just filling in three hours' of backstory so we could get to this, I assume). Wife's read the book so I'll have her fill me in on anything important.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I finally sat through this thing. I confess I had a bit of a hangover so that might have dampened my enjoyment a bit, but it sure seems like a lot of nothing happens in this film. If the LotR films were about people walking, this one is about people sitting around. Hell, I think it took them an hour just to finally leave the Shire. Talk about a lot of filler. No reason they couldn't have knocked the Hobbit trilogy down to two films, other than pure greed. But I'm so glad I got to watch half on hour of Dwarfs eating.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:I eagerly await for all three films to be released when someone will edit them down into one film called the Hobbit as they probably should be.
yeah, fan edits will be great on this one.

I did the double feature on Thursday at the Alamo Drafthouse, which was awesome on its own, and the movie was cool too. No 3D or high frame rate this time, just plain old 2D, which was fine. I liked this one better than the first, with just a few complaints, as follows:

- I don't like the insertion of the white orc in this one even more than the first. He is pursuing them non-stop in this movie, and it adds this unnecessary hectic pace to a lot of scenes, including:
- The Mirkwood escape in the barrels. It seriously reminded me of the stupid chase scene in Indiana Jones 4. Worst part of the movie.
- And Beorn. I haven't read the book in a long time, but I remember loving this scene and character. His screen time was pretty short, although he was cool.
- The encounter with Smaug started out cool and tense, and the CGI was good, but it went on too long with all the running around lighting forges and whatnot.

The added stuff, like Tauriel, didn't really bother me. Gandalf's side trips were fine. Martin Freeman still makes a great Bilbo. I wish he got more time to just act and not just run around everywhere.

big d note wrote:- The Mirkwood escape in the barrels. It seriously reminded me of the stupid chase scene in Indiana Jones 4. Worst part of the movie.
not the first time i've heard this. this saddens me, as it was one of the cooler parts of the book and had potential to be very nice.

will be seeing it next week.

saw the IMAX 3D a couple days ago. thoughts:
  • was roughly eleventy billion percent better than the first film.
  • was very much a peter jackson film. really kind of wishing del toro had done these, would have been curious to see it a bit darker. i mean, jackson is the first person on camera in this film in his little cameo, as if to hammer us over the head with the thought that this is HIS. yeah pete, obviously.
  • i found myself not too terribly upset with the creative license, pulling in parts of other stories to bring in other characters (ie, legolas). i get why he did it, and while it is kind of pandering, it wasn't terribly out of place of awful.
  • smaug was... well, he was cool i guess, but i really liked the characterization in the original animated film, where he was kind of lazily awakened and couldn't be bothered with this wee little burglar at first. in this film, he was immediately wide awake and slithering all over the place. i got the feeling he was doing this simply because they could make him do this. was also kind of bummed he didn't say some of the classic lines. i realize you can't please everybody, but these points make me kind of disappointed in smaug. but, at least we saw him do his thing this time i guess.
  • soooo much CGI. entire film felt like a cartoon. i've had it with this shit. hey hollywood, all of us out here are to the point where we assume you can do anything you can imagine with CGI. no one is impressed by it. stop doing things just because you can. my kingdom for some actual practical effects! i'm fine with CG that enhances or actually aids with certain things, but to base an entire film/series of films on it is just enraging. i'm not even sure these guys were actually walking or wearing prosthetic beards in this one.

TC wrote: [*]soooo much CGI. entire film felt like a cartoon. i've had it with this shit. hey hollywood, all of us out here are to the point where we assume you can do anything you can imagine with CGI. no one is impressed by it. stop doing things just because you can. my kingdom for some actual practical effects! i'm fine with CG that enhances or actually aids with certain things, but to base an entire film/series of films on it is just enraging. i'm not even sure these guys were actually walking or wearing prosthetic beards in this one.[/list]
Hear, hear. I'll tell you what, I think half the appeal of the likes of Nolan's work is that for the most part it looks like an actual film, being shot on film and all.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I was thinking about the Hobbit CGI chase scenes the other day compared to an old Kurosawa movie that I watched on IFC one time. I think it was The Hidden Fortress. There was a wild chase scene, all B&W, with horses, but the way it was filmed was amazing. It was real, the cameras were right there in the action, and the effect was so much more vivid and immediate than these CGI fests with the camera swooping and flying around.

io9 wrote:The Third Hobbit Movie May Change Its Title To Something More Badass

Even back when it was the second Hobbit movie, the third Hobbit movie has always held the subtitle There and Back Again, based on the actual secondary title of Tolkien's book. But now New Line may be thinking of switching the name to the somewhat more exciting The Hobbit: Into the Fire.

The reason that site TheOneRing.net believes the change is happening is because they learned New Line has recently registered this very title, much as it did with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug shortly after it was announced that the two movies would be stretched to a trilogy. The site offers a variety of potential reasons for the change, from it technically being inaccurate with where the third movie starts, or an homage to The Hobbit chapter title "Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire" but I think we can safely assume that as the film has crept closer to its actual release, the most authentic Hobbit subtitle is also its most boring.

Meanwhile, I'm holding out hope that New Line will pick The Hobbit: Citizens on Patrol.
i'd be happy with "dragon-slaying and pipe-smoking".

DH wrote:Third "Hobbit" Gets "Five Armies" Title

The rumors were true, Peter Jackson has revealed on his Facebook page that the upcoming third film in "The Hobbit" trilogy, previously going by the name "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" is getting a new title.

However it's not the shortened "The Hobbit: Into the Fire" as previously mentioned. Instead, they're going back to the longer title previously mentioned as an alternate a few years ago: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies". Jackson explains his decision thusly and updates the current status of the film:
"Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. "There and Back Again" felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo's arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived 'there' in the 'Desolation of Smaug'.

When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate. And so: 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' it is.

As Professor Tolkien intended, 'There and Back Again' encompasses Bilbo's entire adventure, so don't be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.

Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It's been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.

And there's also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we're in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore."