Comics?

For some reason I've been really into comic books lately. Been a bunch of years since the last time around when I bought and read all of Frank Millers Batman-books over a weekend.

Now I've gone through Marvels first "Civil War" book and also DC's "Kingdom Come". Both really good I thought. I also have Watchmen (haven't read it yet, and yes I suck) and V for Vendetta on order and currently working my way through Neil Gaimans Sandman re-boot.

My question is; what else do you recommend? Superhero stuff first and foremost, in the vain of Miller/Moore/Gaiman if possible.

Thanks!

Re: Comics?

Gaiman's Books of Magic are great. Miller's Daredevil work--where he got his start and IMHO did his best work--is available in one large albeit expensive compendium nowadays I think. Not sure what you can easily find as far as Chris Claremont's run on X-Men back in the 80s but that was top notch too. These latter two examples for me are when comic books truly grew up, along of course with Moore's groundbreaking work. I haven't read it but I guess his Miracleman series, if you can track it down, is extremely fucked up. He was handed a 2nd or 3rd string mamby-pamby Superman knockoff and proceeded to deconstruct it with great verve and cruelty. Copyrights over the character are all fucked though so I think it's tough to find.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Oh, and The New Mutants was killer 80s stuff both in writing and also due to the killer artwork from Bill Sienkiewicz. I used to have a badass poster for that title that of course stupid me, not knowing all the crap my mom thought I wasted money on back then would turn into eBay gold, threw away ages ago. Here's a Joker he did to give you some flavor:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I enjoyed Gail Simone's first run on Birds of Prey. I haven't read any of the newer ones since she came back to it though. Also J. Michael Straczynski's stuff: Supreme Power, Bullet Points, Midnight Nation and Rising Stars. His run on Amazing Spider-man, 471 to 545, was pretty good until the last story arc where Marvel decided they wanted to make things simpler for the movie-tie in and decided none of it ever happened. Cause, you know, movie folks don't like all that hard thinking. Civil War took place during that run at which time he was also writing Fantastic Four. There's also Miller's Sin City of course. If Batman is your thing, Year One, Prey, The Long Halloween and The Killing Joke are good ones. Actually, instead of just buying Killing Joke in its own, there's a whole collection of Moore's DC work called The Stories of Alan Moore that's worth picking up.
Just cut them up like regular chickens