Crom hates plastic bags

Telegraph wrote:California to ban plastic bags

California is to become the first US state to ban plastic bags in supermarkets in a move Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger called a "great victory for the environment."

Shoppers will have to bring their own reusable bags or pay at least 5 cents (3p) each for recycled paper ones under the ban which was approved by state politicians.

Californians currently use an estimated 19 billion plastic bags a year, equivalent to 552 for each person, only five per cent of which are reused.

The cities of San Francisco and Malibu had already banned plastic bags and the statewide ban, which also includes pharmacies, grocery stores and liquor stores, is likely to begin at the start of 2012.

Environmentalists said it would help to stop pollution and fouling of beaches but the American Chemistry Council estimated it would amount to a $1 billion (£680 million) tax on shoppers and threaten 500 jobs in the plastic bag manufacturing business.

Ted Gaines, a Republican state politician who opposed the ban, said his family would have to spend $50 (£34) a year on paper bags.

Julia Brownley, the Democrat who proposed the move, said: "The biggest way to eliminate this kind of pollution is to ban it. Plastic bags take five minutes to use and 500 years to decompose."
about damn time. now maybe i won't get looked at like some kind of freak when i request paper at the store. hope this spreads to all states effective immediately.

Re: Crom hates plastic bags

A new law banning grandma-raping threatens 500 jobs in the grandma-raping sector says report by American Elderly Non-Consensual Sex Council.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

Ted Gaines, a Republican state politician who opposed the ban, said his family would have to spend $50 (£34) a year on paper bags.
Or maybe he could just get some re-useable shopping bags for free? There have been quite a few stores giving away canvas shopping bags the past year around here. Surely Jefferson City isn't the mecca of environmentalism.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

My wife has been bringing her own bags to the grocery store for the last few years. At first the cashiers seemed a little confused, but now it's commonplace around here. She just keeps the bags in the car so they're always there when she goes to the store. I still get the plastic bags occasionally when I go to Home Depot or something, but we use them as trash can liners in our small cans. We used to have a vast supply of the plastic bags on hand, but now we barely have enough to use for our small trash cans.

And LOL at PZ's comment. So true!

Storm13 wrote:
Or maybe he could just get some re-useable shopping bags for free? There have been quite a few stores giving away canvas shopping bags the past year around here. Surely Jefferson City isn't the mecca of environmentalism.
That's what I immediately thought when I read that line. A lot of the stores around here are selling reusable bags for 99 cents each. Buy 10 and he's blown less than $10 that will last for years.
Just cut them up like regular chickens