local earthquake

so i got woken up this morning at 4:27 GMT -6 to a 5.2 (or 5.4, depending upon who you talk to) earthquake. it wasn't "the big one", meaning coming from the New Madrid fault, that everyone has been anticipating for two centuries. it originated on some other fault on the Indiana/Illinois border that i had never heard of until today. the whole house was shaking, shit was rattling, etc. it was pretty freaky.

have to go inspect the brick & mortar this weekend.

O-dot, you feel it?

Re: local earthquake

TC wrote:O-dot, you feel it?
Yeah, but I thought it was only my girlfriend and I. :roflmao:

Nope, didn't hear a thing.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

relevant recent info from the USGS:

Code: Select all

MAG  	UTC DATE-TIME 	        LATdeg      LONdeg   DEPTHkm     Region
2.6  	2008/04/18 15:18:45 	  38.038 	 -114.316 	0.0 	  NEVADA
4.6  	2008/04/18 15:14:17 	  38.483 	  -87.891 	10.0 	 ILLINOIS
2.6  	2008/04/18 11:55:58 	  38.465 	  -87.854 	10.0 	 ILLINOIS
2.9  	2008/04/18 10:57:46 	  41.245 	 -114.858 	0.0 	  NEVADA
2.5  	2008/04/18 10:15:36 	  38.648 	  -88.222 	10.0 	 ILLINOIS
2.5  	2008/04/18 10:03:59 	  38.453 	  -87.805 	10.0 	 ILLINOIS
3.0  	2008/04/18 09:41:26 	  38.549 	 -114.597 	16.0 	 NEVADA
5.2  	2008/04/18 09:37:00 	  38.450 	  -87.890 	11.6 	 ILLINOIS

Damn, that's intense. Time to move all the breakables off the top shelf I think. No major fault lines down here thankfully, just lots of tornados. Last week we had winds so high it actually hit my wall with enough force to move my bed that was against it. Guess no matter where you live something or another will get you.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Guess no matter where you live something or another will get you.
yes, i wonder what kills more innocent per year: tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, volcanoes, famine, flooding, or THE MILITARY?????? it's a conspiracy to eliminate all the brown children!!! the military controls the government!!!!!!!!!!! the government controls the weather!!!!!!1111!11!!!ELEVENTY

TC wrote:i stand corrected - it was from the Wabash branch of the New Madrid fault. this could be a precursor to "the big one".

Storm, how is it over there?
Didn't feel a damn thing. Although I was sound asleep.

My wife's sister lives in Portland, MO along the Missouri river and claims she felt it.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

I slept through the motherfucker and must have missed the aftershock at 10 this morning as well. Wife felt the aftershock a half hour south in bloomington, so I'm kinda bummed I was too busy to notice.

Earthquakes rule.
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

I was at work and saw pipes shaking a good 3-4 inches on either side for about 20 seconds, and all of the loading dock garage doors were flapping and slamming really hard. It was freaky. I wish I would have been intelligent enough to turn around and see if the 2000 lb pallets of corrosive liquids 20ft above my head were moving at all. :D
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

lol. yeah that first one was at least 30-45 seconds.

i'm glad you aren't dead or corroded. but maybe it would be like the joker and you would just be deformed into something hilarious that would still allow you to play guitar and yet receive government aid for the rest of your life.

oh well, maybe next time. ;)

aaaaand check this shit out:
Yahoo wrote:Recent Midwest Quakes Called Aftershocks from 1800s

The small earthquakes that sporadically rattle the central United States may actually be aftershocks from a few extremely large quakes that occurred in the region almost 200 years ago, according to a new study

The New Madrid Earthquakes, which struck between December 1811 and February 1812, are some of the strongest seismic events ever to occur in the contiguous United States in recorded history. The largest quake is estimated to have been 8.0 in magnitude and was powerful enough to temporarily make the Mississippi River flow backwards. The heart of the seismic activity was near the town of New Madrid, Missouri, close to the Kentucky and Tennessee borders.

The town has shaken with numerous earthquakes since, from tiny ones that don't cause much of a stir, to moderate sized ones, such as a 5.2 quake in 2008.

Some scientists suspected that many of these events were really repercussions from the big 1811 and 1812 earthquakes. For one thing, "there's no motion across the fault now, so nothing's going on, but yet there are still small earthquakes there," said Seth Stein, the study's lead author and a professor of geological sciences at Northwestern University. The small quakes also occur on the same fault plane that researchers believe is responsible for the big quakes. Furthermore, the present-day temblors are getting smaller with time, which is a characteristic of aftershocks, Stein said. And when larger quakes do occur, they happen at the corners of the fault section that scientists think broke during the 19th century earthquakes, a pattern that suggests these are aftershocks, Stein told LiveScience.

To test this hypothesis, Stein and his colleagues used a set of mathematical equations, called the rock friction theory, which describes how a surface of a fault behaves and is based on lab experiments. They found that the slower a fault moves, the longer the aftershocks are likely to last.

For instance, the San Andreas Fault in California, which moves at the relatively fast speed of about 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) per year, will only have aftershocks for about 10 years after a large quake, Stein said. The fast motion essentially "reloads" the fault, wiping out the effects of a previous earthquake and suppressing aftershocks.

On the other hand, the New Madrid faults, known as the "Realfoot Rift," move more than 100 times more slowly than the San Andreas fault, allowing the aftershocks to last much longer. The researchers found a similar pattern in faults around the world.

The findings suggest that people may not need to worry so much about the next big quake happening in the New Madrid region anytime soon.

"That fault system seems to be shutting down, and if so, we may be looking at maybe thousands of years before we have [large] earthquakes on that particular fault again," Stein said.

The paper, which was a collaboration between researchers at Northwestern and the University of Missouri-Columbia, will be published in the Nov. 5 issue of the journal Nature.
weird!