Board index General Interface

Recently Read/Currently Reading

World events, general news & other banter.

Re: Recently Read/Currently Reading

Postby Alexhead on 16/03/15, 11:43:01

TC wrote:fiction.

Ding Ding Ding!
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."
Alexhead
Rat Strapped to a Cat
Rat Strapped to a Cat

Postby darkness on 16/03/15, 21:00:28

Time to catch up this thread.

Right now I'm reading Aasif Mandvi's "No Land's Man." It's a pretty good mix of humor and tales from his past.

Before that I read Creativity Inc. by Ed Catmull. The main focus is on things that make a creative business or enterprise work, but there are a lot of good Pixar and Disney stories in there along the way. I highly recommend it.

And before that I read the Divergent trilogy. The first two weren't too bad, the third one went off the rails. But I give them props for ending it the way they did. We'll see if Hollywood keeps that ending when the last film comes out (the first film was pretty awful as it was). I won't spoil it though since I know you'll all be standing in line on opening day. :)

Previous to that was Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill. Those scientologists are a fucked up lot. And big on child abuse. Whatever you think about scientology, it's worse.
Just cut them up like regular chickens
darkness
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Postby TC on 17/03/15, 07:14:30

i'm curious about that last one, looking forward to the documentary/exposé.
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Postby darkness on 17/03/15, 08:54:59

TC wrote:i'm curious about that last one, looking forward to the documentary/exposé.

They take kids of sea-org members away from their families and send them to what are essentially forced labor camps, complete with physical abuse. It's pretty fucked up. Another part that stands out is when she slept with her fiancé without permission of the church and they took him away and hid him somewhere. She finally freaked out so much she went out on the ledge of the building and was about to jump if they didn't produce him. Later they got married and when she wanted to leave the church and he didn't, they told him if he didn't leave her he'd never get to see his parents again. Lots of messed up stories like that. Oh, and they did everything they could to break up Tom Cruise's marriage to Nicole Kidman because she wouldn't join the church.
Just cut them up like regular chickens
darkness
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Postby big d note on 17/03/15, 09:28:59

Yeah, Beyond Belief is worth a read. It's amazing how much they mess with people. The church split up her parents on opposite coasts for about 2 years, and her mom ended up having an affair, and then she was disappeared to a prison labor camp for a long time to get rehabilitated. And that's how they treat people at the highest ranks!
big d note
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Previous

Post a reply

Board index General Interface