And there's one less horse in the race:
By Rick Klein, Globe Staff | January 24, 2007

WASHINGTON --Senator John F. Kerry plans to announce today that he is bowing out of the 2008 presidential race, and will instead remain in Congress and seek reelection to his Senate seat next year, according to senior Democratic officials.
He saw the writing on the wall. I still like the guy, but there's far too much baggage for him to have a fair chance again.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Yeah, the dollars wouldn't be there for him this time around. Neither would the interest.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

And the signs indicate that my ex-Governor, Mike Huckabee, is about form his own exploratory committee. Soon, you all shall soon know the joy that is the Huck. Buy some popcorn and a six-pack and prepare to be entertained.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I figured with your Jayhawk roots you'd just be pleased as punch since Sam Brownback announced he was going to try and ramrod Jesus into every heathen's heart via the Oval Office.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Brownback is a fool. He's going wishy washy on the war, and he's already not tough enough on immigration for the righties. I don't know who he thinks he's kidding.

Huck was in rare form today. Flat-out accused one of our reporters of making up stuff. He better save all this tough-guy talk for when the national media show up to ask questions about his record. Because not every interviewer is gonna toss him softball questions with no follow-up like he gets on Russert and the Daily Show.

Looks like the race on the left is heating up quickly.

And regardless of who wins the nomination, it looks like universal health care will be a major part of the Democratic campaign. And apparently polls have shown a solid two-thirds of Americans believe there should be universal health care, even if taxes were higher as a result. Obviously the one-third who disagree probably wouldn't have voted Democrat regardless, so I think that will only strengthen the campaign.

And trust me... you want universal health care, and you want better universal health care than we've got. :)
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Erm, isn't McCain a baby-eating Republican scumbag? Why would any of you want him in charge?

And all this "Obama doesn't have the experience" stuff is ridiculous; what experience did Bush have beyond shorting cocaine, drink driving and gassing black people?

Speaking of healthcare, Moore's Sicko sticks it to Hillary, apparently.

p.s. pls don't call the Democrat party 'left'

Universal health care has been part of the Democratic platform since the days of Truman. The fact that all the candidates are talking about raising taxes to pay for it now isn't really anything new, and no one expects it to happen, anyway.

McCain is crashing. Romney seems best positioned to overtake Rudy and be the Republican nominee, Mormon religion notwithstanding. No way in hell are the Repubs going to give their nomination to the pro-choice ex-mayor of one of the most liberal cities in the country. You can bank on that.

All the hype surrounding Fred Thompson strikes me as just that: hype. I think he's set to be this cycle's Wes Clark.

I think the Republicans are hoping his Hollywood familiarity will help, but Thompson ain't no Gipper. Romney is the right's answer to John Kerry, a big-time flip-flopper on many issues. That and the freaky religion thing will probably kill him.

I will predict right now that, barring another terrorist attack, the Democrats will take it even if they put a lobotomized ax murderer on their ticket. If, however, another attack does occur, the tendency to view Republicans as tougher on defense will aid them.

So, basically, expect the Republicans to arrange another terrorist attack?
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

Kanuck wrote:So, basically, expect the Republicans to arrange another terrorist attack?
They don't need to arrange one; al-Quaida will probably chuck them a freebee without prompting to keep the US militarily involved in the middle east. That efficiently alienates the population from the west's cultural and political influence while providing a pretext for sectarian killings and attacks against moderates, secularists, and civilised people in general. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Alexhead wrote:I think the Republicans are hoping his Hollywood familiarity will help, but Thompson ain't no Gipper.
Don't count out Thompson just yet. He has the support of many high level republicans, and at the end of the day the nomination is won by the person who has the most party support.
Alexhead wrote:If, however, another attack does occur, the tendency to view Republicans as tougher on defense will aid them.
I disagree this time around. If another attack occurs, it will be viewed as a failure of a republican administration who promised after 9/11 they'd step up to the plate and protect us. After all, didn't we go to war in Iraq to stop the terrorist? People will say the war in Iraq distracted us from the real terrorism issues (rightly so) and whomever the republican nominee is will get the blame just by being in the same party as Bush. And there will be a terrorist attack before the elections, mark my words. Hopefully President Hillary will be able to deal with it.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Pit wrote:
Kanuck wrote:So, basically, expect the Republicans to arrange another terrorist attack?
They don't need to arrange one; al-Quaida will probably chuck them a freebee without prompting to keep the US militarily involved in the middle east. That efficiently alienates the population from the west's cultural and political influence while providing a pretext for sectarian killings and attacks against moderates, secularists, and civilised people in general. It's a symbiotic relationship.
Yeah, that and they've already issued several of the traditional "warnings" (according to the rules of Jihad you're supposed to warn your enemy you're going to attack him or something), I'm sure they've got something nasty cooking. Just don't know when.

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:I think the Republicans are hoping his Hollywood familiarity will help, but Thompson ain't no Gipper.
Don't count out Thompson just yet. He has the support of many high level republicans, and at the end of the day the nomination is won by the person who has the most party support.
Alexhead wrote:If, however, another attack does occur, the tendency to view Republicans as tougher on defense will aid them.
I disagree this time around. If another attack occurs, it will be viewed as a failure of a republican administration who promised after 9/11 they'd step up to the plate and protect us. After all, didn't we go to war in Iraq to stop the terrorist? People will say the war in Iraq distracted us from the real terrorism issues (rightly so) and whomever the republican nominee is will get the blame just by being in the same party as Bush. And there will be a terrorist attack before the elections, mark my words. Hopefully President Hillary will be able to deal with it.
You may be right on both counts, we'll have to see. Thompson probably has the broadest appeal across the party based on what I know about him, pretty standard conservative. And yes, an attack could serve to alienate voters from the Republicans--although I suspect the dumb general population would have more of a knee-jerk alarmist reaction that would play into Republican hands.

Interesting developments this week. First, Obama reports raising more than $32 million in the second quarter, significantly more than Hillary. On the Republican side, McCain is having to lay off huge numbers of staffers and scale down his operations to just the key early states because he can't pull in the money needed for a national campaign.

Hah, according to this quiz, my ideal candidate is Kucinich, even though I disagree with him on Iraq and some of the other big issues.

C'mon folks, take a few minutes and let this quiz find your dream candidate for '08.

harmo wrote:Thompson and Tancredo are my anti-christs.
Mine, too.

It also had Giuliani as my No. 2 candidate. Yeah, sure... :roll:

Dang, I was hoping Brownback and Tancredo would lead my list...strangely, they're at the bottom. Looks like Dodd, Kucinich, Hillary and Barack are my ideal leaders.