harmo wrote:
Alexhead wrote:
Of course, if there's another act of terror on US soil, it's game over for us secularists.
The current administration is enough of an act of terror for me....
7 years and counting!
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote: If he does in fact get the nomination, the Republicans will get slammed into the ground and the party will start to pull back from all this religious right hogwash. That's how I see it playing out.
I don't think it's going to be that easy. The religious right is a lot bigger base than you think and has a lot more influence than one imagines. They got Bush elected twice in the first place. It's no longer a few nut jobs in backwoods of the south thumping their bibles. The christian evangelical movement is huge and is slowly seeping into every aspect of life. Chruches everywhere are openly pushing policies and candidates to their members, even registering them to vote right in the pews. Look at the huge numbers of states pasing anti-gay marriage laws by large vote margins, the ever growing number of home schoolers, the vast amount of goverment funds that are now being diverted to religous groups through "faith based" programs, and the constant assault on evolution in schools. The moblization of individual chruches by the republicans has been very successful and this is no group to lightly brush off as a few crackpots that will go away once exposed.

I recomend "Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism" by Michelle Goldberg as required reading about what's taking place in this country. It will scare the piss out of you far more than any Steven King novel.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

You may well be right--I'm well aware of the influence the religious right has developed in the Republican party, really dating back to the 80s and of course peaking post-9/11, but I also see the 2006 elections as a pretty solid backlash against that. Democrats who believed in silly things like evolution won in red states, so I do think there are still plenty of non-superstitious voters who can get together and make a difference. But such swing voters could be scared into the open arms of the fundies once again if something bad happens.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

guys, i don't know what you're talking about - we've had separation of church & state since the constitution was penned. as thomas jefferson said in 1802:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.
i mean really, try to keep up. i don't know what fantasy world you're living in...

PS - sarcasm can be a difficult thing to detect on the internets.

woo, Go Obama.

Trouble is, if Obama actuallly wins, we might have to stop hating on the US for a little while. Maybe. The zionist lobby hates Obama :)

I don't put much stock in these rapid polls. The contests are so compressed, and the polling samples tend to carry a substantial margin of error.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Obama can win, black or not. The Fox Network did their bit to get you lot used to a black president with 24. Cheers, Rupert ;)
Last edited by klimov on 07/01/08, 03:57:53, edited 1 time in total.

klimov wrote:Obama can win, black or not.
That's right. He won Iowa, a state that is only about 2% black. So whites have no problem supporting him, clearly.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:That's right. He won Iowa, a state that is only about 2% black. So whites have no problem supporting him, clearly.
Iowa's one thing, but it's a fairly liberal state to start with. It's the south were it remains to be seen how his support goes.

If Obama beats Hillary in NH (as seems likely) he'll have even more momentum heading into the next contests, like South Carolina.
Daily Presidential Tracking Poll
Monday, January 07, 2008

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that Hillary Clinton’s national polling lead has collapsed. Before the Iowa caucuses, Clinton held a seventeen-point lead over Barack Obama. Today, that lead is down to four percentage points in a survey with a four-point margin of sampling error.

In the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, it’s now Clinton 33%, Barack Obama 29% and John Edwards 20%. ... RasmussenMarkets.com data suggests that Obama may now be considered the frontrunner for the nomination.

In New Hampshire, Monday’s tracking update shows Obama retaining his double digit lead over Clinton.

Hillary's jump-the-shark moment?
Fading in polls, Clinton vows to fight on

By Ellen Wulfhorst
PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (Reuters) - A teary-eyed Hillary Clinton pushed for support on Monday as polls showed her poised for a huge New Hampshire loss to Democratic rival Barack Obama, but the former front-runner vowed to carry on with her presidential quest even if she loses.

Obama warned supporters against overconfidence as a flood of new polls gave him a double-digit lead over Clinton one day before the state casts the next votes in the race for the White House.

Polls will close in the state at 8 p.m. EST on Tuesday, with results expected to begin rolling in quickly.

At a campaign event in Portsmouth, Clinton choked up and grew uncharacteristically emotional as she talked about her reasons for seeking the presidency in the November election.

"Some of us put ourselves out there and do this," she said, her voice breaking and her eyes glistening with tears, "against some pretty difficult odds and we do it each one of us because we care about our country."

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong," she said in a hesitant, quaking voice. "Some of us are ready and some of us are not."

The incident resurrected memories of former Maine Sen. Edmund Muskie's tears during the 1972 New Hampshire campaign, credited with helping to bring down his front-running bid.
No mercy, Obama. Take her down.

Pat Schroeder, anyone?

Stick a fork in her, she's done. Whether or not the U.S. is ready for a woman president is debateable, but nobody wants to vote for a leader who they perceive as weak under fire. She may have been hoping for a humanizing effect here, but man, on the eve of the primary with a double digit deficit, that's just a killer right there.

Yep, she just sealed her fate. Obama may get the nomination. Whether he can win the general election remains to be seen. A lot depends on who the republicans end up putting against him. If it's Giuliani, Obama is probably a shoe-in because a large part of the republican party will stay home, refusing to vote for someone who's pro-choice. If it's Huckabee, I think we're all doomed because the religous right is way too organized.
Last edited by darkness on 08/01/08, 01:21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Obama/Edwards sounds like a good ticket to win over the south. If Huckabee gets it China should just nuke the lot of you now and save a lot of bother.

klimov wrote:Obama/Edwards sounds like a good ticket to win over the south. If Huckabee gets it China should just nuke the lot of you now and save a lot of bother.
why wait?

I think Obama would be very, very wise to choose a Bill Richardson or Joe Biden, someone who brings some legitimate experience--especially on foreign policy--to the table. An Obama/Edwards ticket can be rightly crucified for its inexperience.